The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barf V Prey Model

Evie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My two dogs are currently fed on Burns with some green tripe added. They also get chicken wings, meaty bones and ribs as treats.

I have heard it's not a good idea to mix dry food with raw in the one meal since they are digested at different rates. So what I'd like to do is feed them Burns in the morning and a raw meal at night.

So I've been researching raw feeding on the internet and there seems to be two ways to raw feed;

BARF - That uses plenty of bones as well as vegetables and supplements.

Prey Model - That doesn't use veg or supplements and generally aren't keen on minced meats.

The thing that put me off trying out raw before was attempting to get the correct nutrition for my dogs... obviously I'm no canine nutritionalist! The use of so many supplements in the BARF way of feeding raised worries for me. If a diet is so natural for the animal, then why are supplements needed?

The Prey Model raises the issue of veg, they claim that in the wild, dogs don't eat digesting veg found in the preys guts, therefore veg is unnecessary in the canines diet.

There are many sites putting forward good cases for both.... my head is spinning reading it all! :wacko:

Have you experiance or either way of feeding? (Or better still both.) What are the general thoughts and feelings here on both methods of feeding?

BTW, I have had a look on the FAQ section, but can't see any threads on there that address this kind of question, so any help appreciated. :thumbsup:

We feed our lot on natural diet.They are healthy glossy and happy.

We feed mince tripe and lamb from landywoods with their 100% wholemeal mixer.

The treats they have are pigs ears,cows ears,tripe sticks,paddywack,bones and natural dog treats see www.doggy-licious.co.uk its not yet complete as a site but we nearly finished it.

Our site may give you idea of why we decided to feed our tribe the natural way.Read " About Us Page" see what happened to our lovely whippie Jack.

Keep reading/researching and tailor make your dog diet.Landy woods have a great site and have lots of fab info about dog nutriants.

Pm me if you want to know typical doggy diet in our house.

Happy hunting :cheers:

P.S Kai one of our whippets will stand fo ages picking blackberries in summer and loves his veg and greens.Dogs are individuals like us.Some of us like greens some not, a bit like kids really :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply. Your lot certainly are the picture of health on what you feed them :thumbsup:

I had a good read on the Landywoods website (amongst others) last night, plenty of info there. Your website is looking good as well. 8)

I'd love to know what the typical doggy diet is in your house, if you don't mind sharing. (The info, NOT the food!!) :lol:

No advice, but I'm reading with interest. I've read quite a lot about BARF, but haven't come across the prey model option so will have to look into that.

I've been thinking about changing to BARF for some time but I'm also nervous about it - though I have no doubt it is the healthiest option when you get it right.

Thanks Feefee,

I've seen that group before, there is also another one dedicated to the prey model feeding as well. But I can't seem to get signed up for a yahoo account thingy to join either. Will have to sit down and try harder soon! :b

Evie said:
I'd love to know what the typical doggy diet is in your house, if you don't mind sharing.  (The info, NOT the food!!)  :lol:
At the advice of a K9'r we feed mainly tripe (from Landywood) with a puppy mixer... and they get this for breakfast and evening feed (in a measured amount).. for treats we give raw chicken wings and the odd butchers bone.. We also have some supplements (from Dorwest Herbs) and people are always commenting on their coats and general condition

To try and break this up we sometimes replace the tripe with Sardines.. these go down VERY well (and are always handy if you are going away as people dont always like to have a load of tripe in their fridges..) the dogs LOVE them and these always get wolfed down very quickly (although the snogs from Grace afterwards are not good... ooh lovely fish kisses)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back