The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barking in crate

Peegee

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Help! My nearly 4 month old Cockapoo is quite happy to go in crate when she is tired - it is on our landing as that is where she sleeps at night. We did have it downstairs but she used to bark when she woke in the night or in the morning and we realised this was a bad habit. We never actually went to her when she was noisy but this seems to have set the pattern. We moved it upstairs so that we can get to her when she stirs during the night or in the morning before she barks. During the day we take her up to it when she needs to nap whether we are in or out. If we are in then again we try to get up there to wake her before she barks. My problem is when we go out. She happily settles and sleeps in crate but if she wakes before we come back then she whines and barks. What do other dogs do? Do they just go back to sleep or sit and wait quietly for their owners to get them when they return home. We did try today putting her in kitchen with her basket - we left her for 45 'minutes and she was going crazy when we returned - very distressed and noisy. What have we done wrong and any ideas as to how to rectify. Thanks.

You have been doing all the right things.

For dogs to settle when left alone takes quite a bit of independence and confidence. This has to be learned over time and comes with age to a certain extent.

Having said that dogs can learn that if they are noisy they get attention.

You could have a combination of the two with your pup. She is not yet confident enough to be left alone for very long. It is in their nature to call out for help when they find themselves alone.

She may also have learned to gain attention by being noisy.

I would work on her independence by not letting her follow you around all the time, not letting her rest touching you (she already sleeps independently so this is good). If she cries when you are separated then try not to return until she is quiet. If you have to return then wait, by the crate, or the other side of the door, until she is quiet before opening the door.

Be very cool when you leave her. Ignore her for ten minutes before you go and don't have emotional reunions when you return as this just highlights your absence. Ensure she is empty and comfortable before you distance yourself from her prior to going out. A stuffed Kong or similar toy might help to tire her and help her sleep a bit longer.

Pay attention to the calm, quiet dog and ignore the noisy, fussy dog. They get worse for a while (extinction burst) and then gradually get better.

Thank you, that is very reassuring. We are making a point of leaving her alone downstairs often during the day and will continue to build up her time alone in crate. I have also bought some chew toys which she only gets when in crate. She now also has her own basket downstairs and she frequently uses this, so I think perhaps I'm worrying more than I need to.

Do you have a cover over the top of the crate to help give a bit more security and make it "den like" rather than feeling like she is being shut away in a "cage".

Gypsymum2 always has good sensible suggestions and advice.

Joanne F, usually has good suggestions too. I wonder where she is !

Thanks. I do have a cloth covering top, back and sides. I don't think she has any problem with the crate and is happy enough to go in it and to settle herself down to sleep - the problem only arises when she wakes up, and barks and whines for us to come and get her. Which is a big problem when we are out! You're right about Gypsymum2 and JoanneF, they are both really helpful - no idea where they lIve but I wish it were next door to me!

Aw, thank you for noticing I wasn't about Excuseme! We are on a short break, currently in the Lakes with poor phone coverage and internet access. I am sitting in the lobby of a mansion house at the moment for the sole purpose of using their WiFi. Normal service will hopefully resume next week!

Hope you are having a good break. By the way in a previous conversation you told me about the 'toilet bells' and just wanted to say - I bought some and my clever pup now nudges them with her nose when she wants to go out. She picked up the idea really quickly, so thank you. Am also incorporating Gypsymum2s advice of making it all very exciting when she wants to go out in the hope that one day she will come running excitedly to me when she wants the door open.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back