The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barks at everything

lynyona

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Good Morning Lovely People
I'm sure this has been asked numerous times. How do I stop my Dog barking at everything when home (She is never left alone there is always someone in ) ,car doors slamming ,voices outside , children screaming . Since lockdown as eased its like with her "what's that noise Bark here a bark there a bark". With it being warm weather and the windows open she hears every little noise or voice in the gardens surrounding us even though its stupid o clock like 2 am and considerate people should be in their houses. I've watched a few video s one from Kikopup and Zak George but they only deal with specific barking when someone comes to your house or knocks on your door .The only thing I am bothered about the bark/ quiet treat training method is the miss devious would just bark to get treats she s a creature of routine .Any input would be great thanks

First off how old is the dog, and what kind?there’s many people on this site will give you a more informative reply, you say your dogs never been left alone, that could give problems down the road, I wanted a dog to be brave, not scared, intelligent, my dogs was left alone as at times in life they are going to be, slamming doors and noise could be hyping the dog up, don’t like my or any dog to bark for no reason and they never have been barkers, from the offset they was told no and a soft boot up the backside, so many reasons the dog could be barking, lack of exercise, too noisy in house, the list is endless, dogs nowadays seem more hyper .

I'm probably not much use as my dog isn't a barker, but what would happen if you closed all the windows and doors right now (apart from you all melting, of course)? Would she bark less then? I imagine each time she hears something that sets her on alert, it's going to increae her arousal levels so she's more likely to bark at the next sound, and the next. And as it will increase your stress levels, she might sense this as well, creating a vicious circle.

You could try giving her a treat the moment you hear a noise, but before she barks, so the noise signals the treat and not the barking. I don't know how feasible this would be in practice. And you'd have to weigh up the annoyance levels of the barking, and the 'Mum, gimme a treat' every time there's a sound...

First off how old is the dog, and what kind?there’s many people on this site will give you a more informative reply, you say your dogs never been left alone, that could give problems down the road, I wanted a dog to be brave, not scared, intelligent, my dogs was left alone as at times in life they are going to be, slamming doors and noise could be hyping the dog up, don’t like my or any dog to bark for no reason and they never have been barkers, from the offset they was told no and a soft boot up the backside, so many reasons the dog could be barking, lack of exercise, too noisy in house, the list is endless, dogs nowadays seem more hyper .
She is 2 years old a staffyxPug... I have not purposely not left her on her own just that with 6 adults in my house there is always someone in we are home birds lol rarely a time we are all out together .I did read something, a tired dog is a quiet dog. If we play ball she ll only fetch it back twice then I get the you threw it you fetch it back look she loved to play as a Puppy but it as to be on her terms now.

I'm probably not much use as my dog isn't a barker, but what would happen if you closed all the windows and doors right now (apart from you all melting, of course)? Would she bark less then? I imagine each time she hears something that sets her on alert, it's going to increae her arousal levels so she's more likely to bark at the next sound, and the next. And as it will increase your stress levels, she might sense this as well, creating a vicious circle.

You could try giving her a treat the moment you hear a noise, but before she barks, so the noise signals the treat and not the barking. I don't know how feasible this would be in practice. And you'd have to weigh up the annoyance levels of the barking, and the 'Mum, gimme a treat' every time there's a sound...

Everybody in the world are in their gardens doing something ,I have 6 gardens that back on to mine so there is always some noise from one side ...She ll sit in front of the cupboard and stare at it because she knows that's where the treats are kept so that is what i don't want

Maybe have a look at something like this?? Actually got this still playing and am feeling rather relaxed myself!! There seems to be a quite a selection, you might find one that suits... If nothing else you'll be so relaxed you won't notice her barking:D

My mates dog was a barker out in the garden. He used to drive everyone nuts,any noise from next door and that was it.
I told him to cut a hole in the fence low down and put mesh over the hole. It was like magic,the dog stopped barking. It wasn't magic,the dog was only barking because he couldn't see what was making the noise.

My mates dog was a barker out in the garden. He used to drive everyone nuts,any noise from next door and that was it.
I told him to cut a hole in the fence low down and put mesh over the hole. It was like magic,the dog stopped barking. It wasn't magic,the dog was only barking because he couldn't see what was making the noise.
what a brilliant idea. I do think that's the case with Betty as we have 6ft fences all the way around the garden and 6 other houses back onto our garden. I suppose the same is in the house we have high windows so there is no way she can look out to see what any noises are, my kitchen is in the front so there are kitchen units under the window

A tired dog most times can be a quiet dog, mine was well walked and hunted so they never needed or wanted to bark , all dogs can be barkers so it’s just a matter of sorting out the why!!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back