The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bedlington X Whippet Puppies?

hoppingsheep

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, new to this forum after contacting, Dorset lurcher Racing, ( Jen who was very helpful )

Hope to attend next meet on 13th December, at Shaftesbury, to meet everyone.

I lost my whippet cross of 16 years last month and am already looking for another dog.

I would be interested if anyone knows where I can find, preferably, a btch, 1st cross bedlington x whippet puppy?

...and would they agree that this is a better choice than a pure beddy?

This was my previous bitch:

jod1.jpg

dog.jpg

Hi :D

I've a full beddy and also a beddyXwhippet. The beddy is a true little terrier, full of attitude & he can be a little :rant: at times. The cross is much calmer, even wimpy at times, a very sensitive girl tho she does have her moments when she has a bit of a temper (the terrier side of her coming out (w00t) ).

Given a choice I'd go for the first cross anytime.

Hope you find the perfect dog soon, your old whippet cross looked very sweet :wub:

Julie

Hi :D I've a full beddy and also a beddyXwhippet. The beddy is a true little terrier, full of attitude & he can be a little :rant: at times. The cross is much calmer, even wimpy at times, a very sensitive girl tho she does have her moments when she has a bit of a temper (the terrier side of her coming out (w00t) ).

Hope you find the perfect dog soon, your old whippet cross looked very sweet :wub:

Julie
Thats interesting, thanks Julie!

Try The COUNTRYMAN'S WEEKLY or look on the net,plenty of pups for sale.

Thanks Ladyp, I am getting the Countrymans weekly , ta, but in actual fact there may be plenty of pups on the net but in fact not many specifically are what I'm after which is a 1st cross pup broken coated bitch, out of a whippet dam / beddlington sire. like this:

pup.jpg

the third picture is recent, she's lovely, she hardly moults, she's fine in cold and rain -unless you stand around, she loves water digging and keeping up with pheasants in flight lol, she's v bright, clean in the house housetrained quick, can't think of a downside except needing to be combed through cos she picks up twigs

the third picture is recent, she's lovely, she hardly moults, she's fine in cold and rain -unless you stand around, she loves water digging and keeping up with pheasants in flight lol, she's v bright, clean in the house housetrained quick, can't think of a downside except needing to be combed through cos she picks up twigs
She sounds fantastic,

Fingers crossed, hopefully, I shall get another sister!

al

seadog.jpg

Hi :D I've a full beddy and also a beddyXwhippet. The beddy is a true little terrier, full of attitude & he can be a little :rant: at times. The cross is much calmer, even wimpy at times, a very sensitive girl tho she does have her moments when she has a bit of a temper (the terrier side of her coming out (w00t) ).

Julie
Hi Julie, Do you have any pics of your two I can see anywhere? ;) Thanx al

lurcher.jpg

Agree with Jo about lack of downsides (may i add that Willow was looking gorgeous in the last pic)! I have an 8 month old beddie whippet male, and like you was looking for ages before we found him. Lots about but mainly up North. It is worth the wait though. Like Jo said they don't moult (although do need brushing quite a bit) are laid back and easy dogs. We are starting to work our pup now out on a rough shoot and he's as good a retreiver as the labs and spaniels (although raises a few eyebrows). Certainly very trainable dogs (he even knows the difference between wild rabbits (fair game) and my pet ones (no go!)). Good luck in your search- agree that hunting life and countrymans weekly are best bet- although try searching on the internet too! We got our pup from a lady called Bernadette McManus in kingsbridge (Dodgewells kennel), don't have her phone number anymore, but google her and you'll find it, think she breeds fairly regularly.

x

Agree with Jo about lack of downsides (may i add that Willow was looking gorgeous in the last pic)! I have an 8 month old beddie whippet male, and like you was looking for ages before we found him. Lots about but mainly up North. It is worth the wait though. Like Jo said they don't moult (although do need brushing quite a bit) are laid back and easy dogs. We are starting to work our pup now out on a rough shoot and he's as good a retreiver as the labs and spaniels (although raises a few eyebrows). Certainly very trainable dogs (he even knows the difference between wild rabbits (fair game) and my pet ones (no go!)). Good luck in your search- agree that hunting life and countrymans weekly are best bet- although try searching on the internet too! We got our pup from a lady called Bernadette McManus in kingsbridge (Dodgewells kennel), don't have her phone number anymore, but google her and you'll find it, think she breeds fairly regularly.

x
Yes, I've heard about her and have been in touch with her. She already sold a litter about a month ago.

Good to hear you are pleased with your dog from Dodgewells. Do you need to trim him at all, or is it just brushing?

They do seem more popular up north. What made you go for the cross rather than a pure bedlington?

Got any photos? and what size did he turn out to be?

al

I would hope to get something similar soon. Is there any diference in whether the mum or dad is the whippy or bedy (or vice versa) in the cross?

Last edited by a moderator:

x
Yes, I've heard about her and have been in touch with her. She already sold a litter about a month ago.

Good to hear you are pleased with your dog from Dodgewells. Do you need to trim him at all, or is it just brushing?

They do seem more popular up north. What made you go for the cross rather than a pure bedlington?

Got any photos? and what size did he turn out to be?

al
So far we haven't trimmed at all, although may trim round his eyes if it gets much longer- he seems to pick up all sorts of twigs etc in his coat and gets knotted quite easily though. We went for the cross as we wanted the laid back lurcher attitude- apparently there can be some aggression in the pure bedlingtons- especially in the liver colour in the UK (Dodgewells had imported a liver male from Sweden to combat this) . At the moment he is about 19'' at the shoulder- hoping he may get a little taller but we shall see. Afraid my computer is grumpy and doesn't let me upload photos- he is the spitting image of Willow though-even though they are not related.

x

Thanks Ladyp, I am getting the Countrymans weekly , ta, but in actual fact there may be plenty of pups on the net but in fact not many specifically are what I'm after which is a 1st cross pup broken coated bitch, out of a whippet dam / beddlington sire. like this:
Good Luck in finding your pup. :luck:

Pat.

I would hope to get something similar soon. Is there any diference in whether the mum or dad is the whippy or bedy (or vice versa) in the cross?
So far all the bedlington x whippets that i have met have been from a bedlington sire and whippet dam- don't know whether there is a particular reason for this or not!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back