The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bedlington

freddie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi i am new to the forum and i am a dog owner living in kent,

untill recently i have been the proud owner of two jack russels and a bedlington,

unfortunately i have lost two to old age both were 17 years old and i still have my other pensioner which is a neutered male jack who is 19 and still enjoying a relatively quiet life.

losing two so quickly ( one last autumn and one two weeks ago) has left a void in my life and my wife and i enjoyed our bedlington ( rillington ) so much that we decided to try and find a 1st cross bedlington/ whippet ,

i find the fact that these dogs are being stolen all around the country very worrying and has made me wonder if they are particuarly high risk or are all breeds as vulnerable ?

dogs are stolen locally and i realise that owners need to be extra vigilant,fortunately my dogs are with my wife all day and have access to my garden via a dog hatch, i may have to make sure this is locked at night !

any advice from members would be very welcome.

freddie.

Its all dogs beeing stolen everywere at the minet. staffys were one of the main breeds round here for quiet some time. but I think everyone with a dog of any breed has to be extra vigulant now. as with everything now adays theres allways some scum out there who will steal anything.

good luck finding your new adition

freddie said:
hi i am new to the forum and i am  a dog owner living in kent,untill recently i have been the proud owner of two jack russels and a bedlington,

unfortunately i have lost two to old age both were 17 years old and i still have my other pensioner which is a neutered male jack who is 19  and still enjoying a relatively quiet life.

losing two so quickly ( one last autumn and one two weeks ago) has left a void in my life  and my wife and i enjoyed our bedlington ( rillington ) so much that we decided to try and find a 1st cross bedlington/ whippet ,

i  find the fact that these dogs are being stolen all around the country very worrying and has made me wonder if they are particuarly high risk or are all breeds as vulnerable ?

dogs are stolen locally and i realise that owners need to be extra vigilant,fortunately my dogs are with my wife all day and have access to my garden via a dog hatch, i may have to make sure this is locked at night !

any advice  from members would be very welcome.

freddie.

I sat in my car once outside a shop and saw a lady tie her Husky to a post and enter the shop. 5 mins later a man came along and took the dog but left the lead and collar on the post :wacko: i never said a word to him incase maybe it was his dog or he may have been voilent i was only 15 at the time and didnt want to approch him about it so i just let him take the dog but im sure he was stealing the dog. :rant: I think at the time there were alot of Huskys being stolen as they were very popular and highly priced around 6 years ago. I also read a story in the paper about a gentleman taking his dogs for a walk and being beaten up and had his dogs stolen of him. I think they were springer spaniels.

We have smooth fox terriers which are also a vunerable breed but people dont seem to care much for stealing them. Most thiefts probaly think they are non pedigree jack russels and have no value where as a husky or bedlington may be worth more.

Its very sad that people stoop so low to think they can steal other peoples dogs and who are they selling these dogs to? or what do they do with them?. i would be devastated if anyone took my beloved pets and how would i explain it to my children. Makes me MAD! :rant:

I think that you have to be careful whatever the breed as Wendy said, there is always some :rant: out there who may want your dog.

I've got a beddy & 2 lurchers (one is possibly a whippy/beddy cross)

Sometimes there are travellers who decide to set up base in the car park of our local park :rant:

They stay for about a week at a time & leave rubbish behind. A lady I know didn't know they were there & walked through with her young black lab. A pack of loose dogs ran at her dog & when she was trying to avoid them, some of the men came out & tried to grab her dog :rant:

She was petrified but did manage to get her & her dog away.

Whenever I know they are around I'm extra careful with my dogs. At the carnival last summer there was a dodgy stall holder who was asking me about one of my lurchers so I made sure to mention that she was spayed, had a dodgy leg :- " & no chase instinct as she lived with cats :- " :- "

I hope all this doom & gloom hasn't put you off & I hope you find a lovely dog soon :cheers:

Julie.

Thanks for your advice guys, :)

i have been talking to our community warden about local dog theft and she said that over the last few years, different dogs seem to be targeted one year its spaniels the next staffs and the next lurchers etc.

she said that you need to be vigilent and make sure that your dogs are secure if you are out, make sure they are chipped and avoid walking near traveller sites,my wife and i have decided to find a bedlinton/whippet and make sure that we are secure as possible,

thanks again,

freddie.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back