The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bends At Cambois

rob67

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wondering what the response might be if people had the opportunity to race whippets at Cambois on a Monday night. Been talking to the blokes that run it and they would be willing to let us use a Monday night to run a handicap up there. Depending on the amount of dogs, it might start off as greyhounds running on the same night too, but obviously not against each other unless it was approporiate.

It would be good to hear from anyone that might be interested in running their dogs, and also if anyone has any suggestions about the way in which it might be run. We have talked to geoff and picked his brains (w00t) ...............so have an idea about how highgate and swallowsnest is run on a sat night.

It seems a shame that dogs up here miss out on trialling with other dogs,and miss out on the experience of running under lights, so we thought it might be a good night.

Constructive comments would be appreciated :D

chris

it was done b4 a few years back they used to have a handicap on a fri night alongside the greyhound racing this was done so cambois cud have an open. they had the open and only about 30 dogs turned up. i dont think there was many used to go to the handicap either u cud ask joyce ( challenger) as i know she used to race there as did stevie bell and im not 100% sure but i think peter & michelle might of too. the way they used to do it was a handicap ie they all got timed and given a mark ( i think steve bell did this but im not sure) my opinion is c wot kind of response u get on here and c wot size dogs people have got. ie if u had a few scratch dogs they cud have a seperate race to the smaller dogs who cud either race yds/1lbs or h/cap. i personally think handicapping wud b the fairest way then u may get people willing to race whose dogs arent that fast but know they r in with a chance of winning if they r handicapped rather than yds per pound.

hope that helps a bit. :thumbsup:

Cheers carole, it does help, yes. Talking to geoff it sounded like they also did 2ft/lb, 1/2yd/lb and varied the weight classes that dogs went in. Not having been in racing long i would hope there might be others that would come along and help set racing up, altho I'm sure we could make it work. We hadn't thought about seting an open up...............too much too soon for me :D but it would be nice to think that it could happen in the future :)

chris :thumbsup:

Where is Cambois?? Sounds like somewhere in Normandy, France.

Sorry to sound like a pedant, but a geographical location wouldn't go amiss IMO.

Jazzys dad said:
Where is Cambois?? Sounds like somewhere in Normandy, France.
Sorry to sound like a pedant, but a geographical location wouldn't go amiss IMO.

TRY PUTTING IT IN GOOGLE IT MIGHT SUPRISE U LOL

[a couple of years ago there used to have a couple of races no limit/handicap,struggled to get entrys 3or 4 a race.

bit to far north .if you could get joe at easington talked round you might get more.

hard work as people save there dogs for the opens,

tanya, michelle, did the entrys, steve used to handicap.

good idea.

rob67 said:
Just wondering what the response might be if people had the opportunity to race whippets at Cambois on a Monday night. Been talking to the blokes that run it and they would be willing to let us use a Monday night to run a handicap up there. Depending on the amount of dogs, it might start off as greyhounds running on the same night too, but obviously not against each other unless it was approporiate.It would be good to hear from anyone that might be interested in running their dogs, and also if anyone has any suggestions about the way in which it might be run. We have talked to geoff and picked his brains (w00t) ...............so have an idea about how highgate and swallowsnest is run on a sat night.

It seems a shame that dogs up here miss out on trialling with other dogs,and miss out on the experience of running under lights, so we thought it might be a good night.

chris

its got to be worth giving it a go, the Westhoughton bend club which runs Thursday nights has gone from strength to strength as has Highgate not sure Monday is a good night is there no chance of a midweek night instead

rob67 said:
Just wondering what the response might be if people had the opportunity to race whippets at Cambois on a Monday night. Been talking to the blokes that run it and they would be willing to let us use a Monday night to run a handicap up there. Depending on the amount of dogs, it might start off as greyhounds running on the same night too, but obviously not against each other unless it was approporiate.It would be good to hear from anyone that might be interested in running their dogs, and also if anyone has any suggestions about the way in which it might be run. We have talked to geoff and picked his brains (w00t) ...............so have an idea about how highgate and swallowsnest is run on a sat night.

chris

Firstly, see what feed back you get from this post :thumbsup: Highgate & Swollonest Club needs at least 20 runners to pay for the hire of the track :thumbsup: then it helps to have a raffle & we also go around with a football card :thumbsup: Result = first meeting back is FREE :thumbsup: plus the committee had 2 weeks in Spain :oops: :D

Will try to try and answer some questions........

Cambois is near Blyth, 15 mins north of newcastle, easy to get to once you know the way lol ( can get postcode if people want)

Thought about easington but not sure how track is at the mo, cambois has been revamped and is a canny track,new owners...................Wheatley hill is also an option,but to be honest I would rather have to go up A1 than down A19 if we were going to go to hassle of running it! But nothing is set in stone :D

The monday night is prob just a starting position, not sure what nights they run greyhounds, but I agree a 'middle' of the week night would be better. Depends on numbers I guess.

I guess there is no point in not doing it because it hasn't worked before, like you say Linda, Westhoughton has gone from strength to strength, and altho people keep their dogs for opens,where do you school them round the bends with other dogs to get them there.

:cheers: for comments, keep them coming :thumbsup:

about 15 mins from wallsend ( too far north pmsl :lol: ) give it a try chris good luck with it :luck:

(w00t) (w00t) Ta carole...............good luck with house move................don't forget to tell peter he has to unpack lol :blink:

ITs got to be worth a try if you can get enough dogs togethr and a good idea to vary formats then will suit all sizes of dogs in turn. :luck: If using 1/2yd/lb would say need to be split into little classes to be fair on smaller dogs JMO :- "

EASINGTON MUST HAVE ONE OF THE BEST KEPT RUNNING SURFACES AROUND.

TRAILED THERE MIDWINTER-5 AT 1030, THE TRACK WAS PERFECT A TESTAMENT TO JOE AND HIS STAFF.WHEATLEY HILL OK JUST ODD BAD VIBES ABOUT :( .HAVENT TRAILED THERE THIS YEAR???

IT WAS TRYED LAST YEAR BUT LITTLE INTEREST AT EASINGTON,JOE NEEDS TO

NO WELL IN ADVANCE AS CARD IS TO BE MADE OUT.

CAMBOIS IS OVER 100 MILE ROUND TRIP AND I LIVE AT BISHOP AUCKLAND.

+ I WORK SHIFTS SO DIFFICULT SOME TIMES.

peter also works shifts but cambois is a lot nearer 2 us than easington as it wud b for anyone from say ashington quite a way to easington for those. if people r interested then i wud say to say yes u r intersested but personally i think a wed night wud b better 4 people then that way they can still race on weekends if they want too. if it was a handicap then u might get a few that dont go open racing its always worth a try chris and if cambois r willing to give it a go then i say try it 4 a few weeks, if someone wants 2 try it @ easington coz its nearer 2 them then why dont they? i also say u shud do it a bit late on in the evening rather than early ie 6.30pm imo wud b too early as some people dont finish till that time so 7.30pm or 8pm cud b a better time all JMO ;)

just been thinking if it was done like they tried it the last time, u cud try it on a greyhound race night ie 2 whippet races in amongst the greyhounds rather than having to pay 4 the hire of the track etc. i went a couple of times 2 watch then it was a fri night im not 100% sure but think that u cud hav a bet on the whippets too. there was always a few whippet people there watching too.

Think it would have to be a later start because of the tunnel traffic. When i went mid week to Rising sun was stuck in tunnel traffic for over half a hour. If I can get harvey going round the bends then I'll run him and maby boot's.

After talking to Billy at Cambois he said that we could alternate our races with greyhound ones, or possibly start later so that people can get up there. After talking to people at racing this morning it does seem that we would have enough to start off a night. Might have to be a mon at first, but if it takes off we could maybe look for another night. Think would have to vary the way it was run to make it fairer on all dogs :D Rob has task of sorting out next tues, so should have some more news from then. Thanks for all comments, been really positive :D

chris

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back