The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Best thing for older dogs goints and muscles?

lots.nj

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a jack russell cross and she has just turned 8 years old. She is very fit and healthy and no one can believe it when I tell them her age.

We do agility and although she is as quick as ever and shown no signs of aging. I am wanting to make sure that I keep her that way and concerned on the strain this is putting on her joint and muscles like any athlet. I do my best to keep her in top condition and at the moment I give her codliver oil on her dry food. I was wondering if the are any other supplements that will help her goints and muscles (perferabley natural) but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced ☺

Last edited by a moderator:
I started feeding my 12 year old field spaniel bitch Yumove and Yumega when she was seven. She doesn't have any arthritis. Nature versus nurture I' don't know, but I believe the Yumove tablets help older dogs with joint pain. Available from Lintbells. Expensive but in my view worth it.

Juliatee

In our rehoming center we have animal training classes, one lovely lady has 2 alsatians (brother and sister) they are almost 8 now.

Heidi the female runs around like a puppy, but Trojan is badly affected by athritis, they are both fed the same foods, both have the same lifestyle.

Trojan still comes, he enjoys his day out, but he does things at his own pace and we respect this.

This tends to make me think that it is pot luck, your animal is affected, or carries on quite happily and healthily.

Let your dog carry on with his activities, both of you enjoy it, he will slow down when he feels like it, obviously he will slow down a bit at some stage,

like us humans we get old, we get aches and pains this does happen.

Just enjoy your activities together while they last.

As for joint remedies,,, there is a load of crap on the market stating wonderful cures,

Ask people on here what actually works for them before wasting your money,

Cod liver oil has been stated to help humans with a lot joint disorders, I suppose it can not harm your dog, a lot of joint medicines do seem to have oils in them so I can't really see any harm resulting from having it.

Hope this helped.

Shewy

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back