The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bitch in heat dog driving himself mad

rkidcd911x

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Help

I have an 9 or 10 year old Shih Tzu bitch Poppy and an 18 month old Chorkie dog Ozzy.

Recently Poppy has come into season (around 10 days ago) and since Thursday Ozzy has noticed and become aggressive moody and withdrawn. He's barely eating he's stopped playing and if you try to separate him from Poppy he becomes nasty and aggressive he bit me last night and he bit my wife this afternoon. I took him on a trip to pets at home to try solve the problem in the short term until we can get him neutered and he was fine back to his usually placid self he even played for a short while.

Up to now i have tried vicks vaporub on Poppy to mask the scent, Bitch spray on the advice of a vet and calming tablets for Ozzy to try and calm him down but to no avail.

Right now he is whining the kitchen down trying to get to Poppy and I'm getting to the end of my tether.

Is there anything else I can be doing to ease the situation as I am honestly dreading the next 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance

You may not like this but the best advice in the long term is to spay the bitch. This also would prevent pyometra, and the risk of that becomes greater each season she has. Short term, put one of them in a boarding kennel or with a family member. It really must be torture for your poor boy so that is the kindest option. Dogs will do anything to get to a bitch in heat and even mate through crate wires - the last thing you want is a pregnancy at her age. If the worst case scenario occurs, be aware that the mismate injection stops a pregnancy.

You may not like this but the best advice in the long term is to spay the bitch. This also would prevent pyometra, and the risk of that becomes greater each season she has. Short term, put one of them in a boarding kennel or with a family member. It really must be torture for your poor boy so that is the kindest option. Dogs will do anything to get to a bitch in heat and even mate through crate wires - the last thing you want is a pregnancy at her age. If the worst case scenario occurs, be aware that the mismate injection stops a pregnancy.

The one saving grace is he doesnt seem to know what to do. He has spent the day trying to do it to her shoulder.

Im just wondering... did you not know about the uncontrollable sexual urge a male will get when faced with a bitch in heat or was there some other grand idea of getting a young intact male whilst you have an unspayed female? The current situation seems an obvious result..

getting BOTH of them desexed A.S.A.P., would be my 1st suggestion.

As a crossbred, the male is hardly a future stud, & the elderly F should truthfully have been spayed long-ago, for her own health & safety - every heat that she goes thru, is an immediate risk for Pyometra - which is a severe infection of the U-shaped uterus that runs up both sides of the abdomen, & thus is a large organ, designed to hold an average of 6 pups.
Pyo fills it with extremely-virulent pus, so an emergency spay on a Pyo-infection is a high risk surgery - the uterus becomes friable & thin, & can easily rupture, spilling all that highly-infectious fluid into the open abdomen. :eek:

to boot, UTIs are most-common in bitches during the 90-days after every bi-annual heat - so for literally 8-months of every year, her life has been put at risk by her intact status. :( A month for every heat, plus the 3-mos after each one.
The other lurking evil in a bitch's body is mammary AKA breast cancer, which is 4X as common in F dogs as it is in F humans, & sadly, 7 out of every 10 F dogs who are diagnosed with breast malignancies in the USA, are euthed at the same vet-appt as their diagnosis: on X-ray, the cancer is already in their lungs, & it's not treatable.
By the time they show symptoms & are seen by a vet, the tumor/s metastasized, & the poor dog cannot be helped.

At 10-YO & still intact, i'm amazed she hasn't developed any breast tumors - but the sooner she's spayed, the better for her.

The 18-MO crossbred is also overdue for the snip - be aware that he'll be FERTILE, neutering is not "instant sterilization": the sperm already developing are not taken with the testes!
He will still need to be kept away from bitches, at home or away, for at least a month, =and= even after he's neutered, he can still mount & tie - he's less likely to get the urge, but it's not impossible. OTOH, he's very unlikely once he's neutered to go off his food, whine night & day, & struggle to escape the house every time a window or a door are opened. :thumbs-up: That's a plus! :)
His urge to leg-lift indoors will also be markedly lower; he will still leg-lift outdoors to urinate if he's already doing that, but he won't feel as compelled to mark inside the house [once she's spayed, & the pheromones are gone].

Hopefully all goes well, & both are recovering in their separate areas of the house shortly - the F will be restricted to on-leash walks only, NO play with other dogs, & NO jumping or running for 10-days post surgery.
The M will have the same restrictions, but for only 7 days, unless there are complications. // Both of them will need cone-collars, & onesies to cover their incisions & keep them clean & dry are also a good idea. Watch for leakage, & check at least 2X daily for swelling, pink flushed skin, popped stitches, or any blood - a small amount of clear straw-colored fluid for the 1st 24 to 48-hrs is okay, that's serum, but anything PINK or RED signals an immediate return to the vets' for care.

let us know how they get on, please?
- terry

Male dogs can be given a hormone injection which will calm the, er, urge. But really as soon as the bitch is old enough you need to get her spayed. Having the dog castrated doesn't always solve the problem if it's later in his life. I certainly know of an 8yo male rescue who did the entire deed with a bitch- obviously the memory lingers on long after the bits are gone. At least there were no puppies.

Both were (rescued) adopted from different family members in the females case she was at least 5 y o and we didnt want to put her through the trauma of spaying as she was so old

I read 10 years as 10 months!

But honestly the trauma of spaying is probably less for both dogs than this twice a year!

I'm beginning to dislike the word 'trauma', for some reason. o_O
I think it came up just yesterday, in another thread... didn't it?

- t

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back