The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bitches in season at shows

Rachel

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was interested to read that Dawn couldn't do Crufts this year as her bitches were in season.  Dawn? does that mean that you forfeited the entry fees???

I was told that with an inseason bitch you could block up their vulva with vaseline!!! presumably to stop them bleeding everywhere? or does it quell the inseason smell??? I didn't pursue the conversation but now wish I had as it is likely that my girl will come into season at some time this summer - what do you do? can you show them, say in the last week when they are not bleeding or is this unfair on the dogs?  or is it the done thing to do like Dawn and not go until well after the season? OR what about having the season stopped hormonally at the vets? does anyone do this?

Rachel   :)  (well on my way to my 50 postings 3 star status!))

Hi Rachel,

I myself will not take a female in season (at any stage)to a show, as I think its not fair on the male dogs.

But I know a lot of people do and use all sorts of strange lotions to mask the scent!

Some societies will refund you your entry fee on the production of a vets letter but not many, some give a credit for the next show, but again this is rare.

As for Vasaline, this would drive my Male collie dog wild, as its used in the mating of collies, one wiff of it and lo betide any bitch around lol   :D

Hi rachel

There are many thoughts about showing bitches whilst in season.

Usually whippets are NOT that messy compared with some breeds and can be shown whilst in season but not usually when in full flow. However it can affect their weight, movement and general demeanour so is a risk. I believe there is no KC rule for NOT showing.

At a Ch show where males are judged seperately to bitches it is more acceptable than at a class of mixed sexes.

AT the end of the day it is your decision.

Dawn

I personally would'nt show a bitch in season either, as Dawn says, not quite so bad at a Champshow where there are separate classes.  If I am judging I dislike going over bitches in season, and I dont think you can ever stop them dripping, normally when you lift them on and off the table!! I think it does upset thier movement sometimes also.  My dog knows if there is a BIS at an indoor show and can be a real pain.

I agree, I wouldn't show a bitch in season.  It often does affect their movement, and some people say that they are more susceptable to infection when in season.  

Although dogs and bitches are judged separately at Champ shows, they are still benched together, and speaking for my dog, he knows as soon as he goes into a hall if there is someone "interesting" around.  It makes him VERY difficult to show as he spends all day trying to find her!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back