The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bitches in season

Gemma

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wondering if there are any early warning signs of a bitch coming into season?

Gemma

I notice that my bitch wee's a lot !!

I think mine lick themselves more than usual ( you know where :b )

I think mine lick themselves more than usual ( you know where  )
? in the kitchen?

mine normaly wee more, lick more and with having a few they start trying to mate each other + our dog normaly lets us know :0

The dogs won`t actually try to mount a near season bitch or otherwise engage in courtship activity with them but do take a healthy interest in the bitches urine.

Michelle our dog does if theres a bitch about to break withing sniffing distance he knows.

Our old dog won't have anything to do with the bitches until the day they are ready for mating - thats probably why we've been caught out a few times :b - but if your going elsewhere to the stud then he's good for telling you that the bitch is ready!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine start to look more "puffy" than normal around the top of the vulva about a week or so before they start to bleed.

The reason for asking is that we have a 5 month old bitch (Holly) at the moment, and are possibly getting a dog of the same age, but we do not want little puppies to arrive. We would like to get him neutered, but this might not be possible before Holly comes into season.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or has anyone got any ideas?

Is it a good idea to get a dog while that is too young to be neutered?

Gemma

From my experience (limited) and hearsay most whippets don't come in till closer to a year for their first season. There are lots that do, so I'm not saying you're completely safe, but it's not the definite 'six months' like it is for a lot of other breeds.

Savannah was 18 months before her first season. Her sisters were 15 months.

Do you know how often her mother/female relatives come into season - that may be a good guide?

Wendy

Gemma,

On no account should you ( or anyone else for that matter ) get a dog puppy and have it neutered at 5 months.

There are 3 good reasons for having any dog castrated;

1) it has testicular cancer

2) the vet needs £70

3) all involved are ignorant and don`t know better

You have a number of viable options;

1) Don`t get a dog pup -works for obvious reasons

2) get a dog pup and keep the two seperate when the bitch is in season, this is just not that difficult - we have 4 fertile bitches and 6 dogs, including a proven stud who will line an in season bitch in 60 seconds of it appearing in the same room. We don`t have unwanted pregnancies. If we make a mistake we go to the vet and pay our £30 to have the doggy "morning after" jab.

3) neuter the bitch - bitches are anoestrous the majority of the time and being neutered is of less significance ( although I`m opposed to this option as well)

Dogs and bitches rely on the hormones produced by their gonads to develope fully as adults and to perform an unnessecery operation to prevent the preventable is cruel.

get a dog pup and keep the two seperate when the bitch is in season, this is just not that difficult
I disagree with Michelle. It may not be too difficult to keep them separate but the dogs are HELL to live with while the bitch is in the "hot spot" of her season. They cry all the time, stress themselves to the max, lose weight and they can even become destructive and tear at and destroy wire crates/kennels/wooden doors - wherever you may be keeping them away from the bitch. And I AM talking from personal experience with 14 years of breeding whippets and keeping my dogs and bitches separate during the bitches season.

I do agree that you should not neuter him at 5 mths, this is way too young.

I don't agree that he should never be neutered. When he is old enough it might be the best option for a peaceful life for you OR you can spey your bitch - whichever.

IN my experience too - many whippet bitches do not come into season for the first time until they are over 12mths old and more likely around the 15-18mth old mark.

Aslan,

Sorry it was me above posting under Michelle

We find that the dogs are only really interested in the bitches on heat when they are "standing" and don`t get to upset the rest of the time and so only really get worked up for about a week. We have had none of the problems you describe but I suppose all dogs are different.

Neutering dogs is a bit of a pet hate of mine because I consider it pointless and detrimental to the life experience of the dog - although I am aware it increases longevity.

Hi Gemma, I have 4 entire bitches and only 2 entire dogs. When my girls have a season, 1 dog goes and stays with his grandparents, the other dog stays, as he loses more weight from the stress of being away, than by staying. Have you got a friend or other family member, who would have your dog puppy, whilst your bitch is having her season?

Both my dogs have sired litters, but the one who goes away, pesters the bitch, whilst the one who stays, is only interested whilst the bitch is fertile. This lasts about 4-5 days, can be less, depends on the bitch.

If you are going to spay/neuter one of them, I personally think that a dog puppy shouldn't be neutered until he's at least 2 yrs., so he can reach full maturity. A bitch, I would leave until after she's had at least one season. I personally would only ever neuter a male dog again, if there was a medical benefit for the dog. (I had one neutered once) I've regretted it ever since. He did then have to go on a permanent diet, for weight gain, and, his personality did change.

I do prefer to leave either sex entire, but this is personal choice, and something you need to think about very carefully, before embarking on.

I've found, that with my girls, the first season is the worst, for how long it lasts, amount of blood lost,swelling, calling, everything.

Hope some of this helps, at the end of the day, it is down to your personal choice, maybe chatting it over, with their respective breeders, would help.

Lyd

Hi Tony!

No offence and no worries mate! You are entitled to your opinion and I was just telling Gemma mine.

I might also add, Gemma, that even though my males do drive me crazy in that week - I still love 'em! :p

Tony Taylor said:
Neutering dogs is a bit of a pet hate of mine  - although I am aware it increases longevity.
Does it??

My poor Lester only made it to just 10 years old which I consider far too young an age for a Whippet to die at. I only had him castrated because he was never, ever going to be used at stud as he was well overshot and he was always a picky eater so I didn't want him fading away when bitches were in season. It certainly did not affect his personality one iota and he was brilliant as a teaser because he knew exactly when the bitches were ready but was real cool about it all!!! Incidentally, castrated dogs will still mate bitches, they just fire blanks!!!

Castration reduces the incidence of tumours and so, on average, increases longevity.

It`s interesting you say it didn`t affect his personality which sort of negates the point of castration as an aid to alter temperment

There is no doubt about the reduction in testosterone production though.

This is all new to me - after having all bitches for years, we kept a dog and a bitch from our last litter.

My first experience with owning a dog has been nothing but pleasure, and he's the apple of my eye! :D :D :D :D

We have had his mother in season twice since he was born, the first time he was 5 and a half months and took no notice at all, and the second time he was 11 months, and although showed an interest, he didn't mount her. He did mount his sister though!! Mixed up or what??!!

I am waiting to see what happens next time she's in season, and also when his sister comes in (they are inseperable, and cry when they are parted).

I have no problems with having a male neutered, although it is not an option for us as we race our whippets, and I believe it can make a difference to the dog. Two of our other bitches are spayed, and once I know I don't want to breed from them I always have them spayed. It's better for their health, eg preventing pyometra, and also mammary tumours, which are both life threatening conditions. Of course everyone has their own opinions. I had one of them spayed at 5 months old, and she has been brilliant ever since. Never needing to miss racing with her was good.

If you don't want to breed from Holly Gemma, I would consider having her spayed rather than the boy castrated - but then I haven't lived with a dog that tries to escape to find a bitch, which I know some people have trouble with. Another thing to consider is if you have neighbours with dogs - if there are other bitches around, you might find that your boys life will be miserable if he can smell them too.

I suppose there's no easy answer - I'm dreading the next time we have a bitch in season - maybe then I can tell you more!! ;)

Hi Gemma, whippets should have a secure garden to play in anyway, re: Junes comment about dogs straying to find an in-season bitch. I kept dogs for years before having girlies, maybe I'm just lucky, but I have never had one entire male, try to escape, to chat up/have sex with somebody elses bitch. If your dog is never used as a stud dog, the chances are, he wont either. I appreciate some dogs, do go on the rampage, like some teenage blokes, looking for a leg-over, but the area I live in, it is only terriers. The gundogs, whippets etc. don't.

Lyd

Hi, I dont know if ive put this in the right place or maybe i shouldve put it as a new topic, Anyway.........Im getting abit concerned because Holly is 14 months old now and still not had her first season. I know whippets are usaully late, but ive just read on a post about phantom preganancy that a whippet was on its 2nd season and is only 2yrs old. (w00t)

I noticed a few months back that Holly was doing a lot of little wees and i thought that was a sign. Are seasons always very noticable? or could she maybe of had one then but just been very, very light and cleaned herself well so i didnt notice? :unsure:

I wont be breeding from her at all so im not concerned for that reason. Im just concerned that everything is as it should be if you know what i mean! :)

Anyway, im babbling on abit :b so really the main question is......is it normal for a bitch to not have had their first season by 14 months! :cheers: :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back