The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bitches Inseason

bullwhip

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi..just wondered if u could give me some advice.. ive got a 10 month old bitch thats ive not long started to school to race...and shes just broke down...now am a ex greyhound man ( of a good few years back )and she d be off the track now for 12 weeks if she was a g/hound...now is it same 4 these whippets ?and what if any are the modern day methods of training a bitch inseason

bullwhip said:
hi..just wondered if u could give me some advice.. ive got a 10 month old bitch thats ive not long started to school to race...and shes just broke down...now am a ex greyhound man ( of a good few years back )and she d be off the track now for 12 weeks if she was a g/hound...now is it same 4 these whippets ?and what if any are the modern day methods of training a bitch inseason

Tilly my 12 month old whip, has just had her season 'out of racing season' if you get my meaning, she lasted 3 weeks i think thats all you have to keep them away for (could be wrong cause im real new)

-_- We racers have been a bit slow on this one haven't we :* I don't run bitches, and every owner has their own ideas on what they do and why, yet as the physiology is the same as that of the greyhound in that the hormones soften the tendons and caritlage in just the same way; it would seem logical to desist from racing the dog whilst the risk of injury is highest. So I suggest that you have a sensible talk with your favourite greyhound vet and get an informed, expert opinion on the pros and cons of racing after season etc. Each area seems to have a favourite greyhound vet, ours is to die for - if you are female - but if you need a number, ask on the board for the one used in your locality and someone will give it to you.

I have always found my 'pet vet' and the greyhound vet only too happy to share their knowledge and advice.

I don't run mine when they are in their season until they are completely finished both because of the obvious and because as already said it can put a strain on them at that time :thumbsup:

Hi Mark,

I think it depends on the bitch. Lily is as flat as a pancake for 13 weeks. I don't race her on the 7th and 8th week because that seems to be her worst time, but her sister Maggie has won championships 2 weeks out of season :) I still do the same amount of excercise with them though :)

bullwhip said:

These days greyhounds are allowed to re trial back on to the racing strenght 21 days (3 weeks) after they are reported in season. Most bitches run flat till they are about 16 weeks out, where as others hardly lose any form.

Not too sure on this one as in timescale, my OH would be better answering as he gets all his info off Jim Reynolds (Top Grey Trainer).

Of course once they look swollen, stop racing, and dont commence until after the bleeding has stopped. Then stop them again (9 weeks) as soon as their milk is coming through. To help the milk come through give them Epsom Salts :thumbsup:

After 12 weeks theyre ready to race but will take a few runs to get back to pre season fitness.

I presume that Whippets are the same as Greys.

Gosh, all this seems very complicated, but I wish I was a racing bitch, then I wouldn't be expected to be on top note when I'm in season and could get off with a bit at work !!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back