The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Blood Lines

jacks

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Does anyone know what happened to the Sapperly, Tinribs, Whipstar or Allways lines? I have found the pedigree of our first coursing whippet and it would be interesting to know if there are any of her blood lines left - as far as I can recall (I was rather small at the time) she never truly excelled in the field as she was too tall but I have still got a mask from her first kill on the wall much to the fascination/horror and education of visitors.

I'm sure there are UK people who can answer you with better and more in-depth knowledge than I, but as no-one has answered yet I will start the ball rolling with the little that I know....

According to Bo Bengston in his book The Whippet © 1985,

"the Allways kennel was disbanded after the death of Fred Jones, although his widow, now Mrs Bobbie Cooke, maintains an interest as a judge and president of the Whippet Club"(p98).

But remember that was written 20 years ago now.

He also says that the heritage from Wingedfoot and Allways was carried on in particular by the Harque and Shalfleet kennels. (p99)

He doesn't say much about the Sapperly dogs other than to mention that two in particular had a bearing on the Laguna breeding - Ch Sapperly Heralder and Sapperly Tiptree Pilot. "Pilot did not become a champion because of a damaged tail but he sired six British champions and several more in other countries." (p91) He was owned by the Sapperly kennel of Mr & Mrs Ben Evans.

Also "the Sapperly, Samema, Laguna. Allways and Wingedfoot champions were nearly always of Tiptree breeding" (p90).

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suspect that nearly all the present day whippets do go back to Tiptree, Sapperley and Allways lines, if one took the pedigrees far enough back. I started in the breed in the 50's and most breeders had these dogs behind their stock, the gene pool was much smaller in those days, and there were not many other stud dogs available.

jacks said:
Does anyone know what happened to the Sapperly, Tinribs, Whipstar or Allways lines? I have found the pedigree of our first coursing whippet and it would be interesting to know if there are any of her blood lines left - as far as I can recall (I was rather small at the time) she never truly excelled in the field as she was too tall but I have still got a mask from her first kill on the wall much to the fascination/horror and education of visitors.
The shalfleets which were founded on the allways and wingedfoots have been left in the hands of the faracre kennels, i believe. so they still carry on

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back