The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Blood on poo

RosieB

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello all,

Our 12 year old collie X saluki seems to have an ongoing issue with his anal glands - and I'm not sure I trust our vet to sort it out. I will get a 2nd vets opinion but just wondered if any of you had ideas.

He is generally in excellent health. Back in August 2016 we changed his food from working dog muesli to James Wellbeloved, because he needs less energy and we wanted to 'upgrade' his food on account of his age. That's when the AG issue seemed to start (we realised retrospectively). We first noticed the smell, and small drops of blood on his, otherwise fine, poo. The vet said there was an infection, gave him antibiotics and cleared his glands. All was well until December. Then it all started again and this time he went through three types of antibiotic before the smell and blood went.

In January some new super expert doggy friends advised we should add more fibre to his diet, explaining the new food has less fibre and therefore produces smaller poos so they glands don't get squeezed enough and infection gets in. Thinking about it I realised they had shrunk a bit! So now he's on Pro Fibre which has got them back to normal (at least I think they are, alas, I can quite remember exactly what their dimensions were back in the muesli days!)... But in the last week or so, the blood is back - just a few drops, no more than would cover a thumbnail. The strange thing is, I'm glad to say, he's not in any apparent pain (what I've read suggests AG infection = pain). He is a bit of a wimp generally so I'm pretty sure we'd know if he was. There's no scooting, scratching, licking, nothing. To be honest we're a bit reluctant to take to the vet for another round of hugely expensive antibiotics (December alone cost us £500!).

Has your dog had similar issues? What was the diagnosis? What did you do? What solved it?

Thank you very much for reading all this detail about poo!!

Rosie x

There is no doubt that some dogs do suffer with their anal glands. Some vets recommend regular manual emptying to prevent infection. You can learn to do this yourself or a dog groomer will sometimes offer the service. Failing that the nurse at your practice will also be able to do it cheaper than your vet.

I think the trick is to get the glands emptied regularly either by dietary means or manually so that an infection cannot take hold.

There are some dogs where nothing seems to work other than having the offending glands removed surgically.

My black dog started having this problem in 2008, vets emptied them and with antibiotics cleared it up, a month later the same so same was done again with another £40 charged ! So I asked vet to show me how to do it, it takes a while to get it right

But for the next 4 months I emptied him out on a 5 to a weekly routine, all was great but I changed his food a few times to find one that would harden his poops up a bit and once I found the one I've had 8 years gland free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks both. I'm not sure I have the stomach to do it myself! Before August they'd never caused an issue - I have a feeling emptying them that first time has upset them and now they'll need doing regularly, as per your black dog LM... And he really, really hates it being done so there's no way I could do it alone. Hey ho, looks like lots of expensive trips to the vet will be required!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back