The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Blue

Painted Lady

tattoo luvver
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Can anyone help with what this could be? Blue is fine in himself,a bit warm....this has suddenly come up on his face..he has had nothing different food wise...I have a vet app at 4 but freaking out a bit cos the swelling is getting worse...

blue015.jpg

blue009.jpg

blue007.jpg

Can anyone help with what this could be? Blue is fine in himself,a bit warm....this has suddenly come up on his face..he has had nothing different food wise...I have a vet app at 4 but freaking out a bit cos the swelling is getting worse...
blue015.jpg

blue009.jpg

blue007.jpg
Awwww, poor Blue - do you think he's been stung? Hope he's better soon :huggles:

Junes sweep had this sort of thing last year, i dont think they ever found out what caused it :wacko: i think the vet gave him something but not sure what :wacko:

not much help am i (w00t)

last time we went to forest woz wednesday evening....didnt go out at all yesterday apart from garden.....he was fine last night and early this morning and he has been asleep for most of today....i woke him up to give them their chicken wings and he looked look this...

oh bless him :( I would stay he's either had an allergic reaction to something or he's been stung possibly by a horse fly.

As the reaction is bad i would give him a piriton asap & if it carries on getting worse get him to the vets quickly as an emergency incase his airways start to swell.

Awwwwwww poor Blue :eek: ........like Gillian quoted he might of been stung,or something to do with plants,flowers,some sort of reaction.Abbee came up like that,quite bad she was like a bull dog!!! By the end of the day she was back to normal,i will say i did have some Lillies in the house,they where well out the way of the dogs,but some of the pollen stuff drop on the floor,so i,ve not had any since!!

sarah i duno if you rember when tia had somthing like this and it turned out she was allergic to a new plastic food bowl id bought her just a thought or maybe a sting ???hope hes feeling better soon hun xxx

star was stung in our garden last year, her eye swoll up big time, half a piriton tablet did the trick,

the dafty still trys to eat bees today so she hasnt lernt her lesson :wacko:

hope he gets sorted soon xx

ok thanks..will give him a piriton tab...dawn,i have lillies in the house..will bin them....cheers

One of mine (the brindle with yellow eyes) is always eating wasps. His face has swelled a few times. Piriton usually works.

Have you checked its not tooth infection.? Hope he is better soon. xxx

He's experiencing anaphylaxis (an allergic reaction) take care to ensure he doesn't develop any difficulties swallowing or breathing, if so emergency vet as fast as possible. Causes can be anything from a plant to a snake bite.

He may also have hives on his body (they're usually pea sized bumps caused by cells throwing out histamine)

As well as the anti histamine you can (if feasible) try to excite him into producing adrenalin (e.g. if he goes daft over a toy or something)

Had a number of dogs experience this. Worst case was with Teddy who was only 8 weeks old and decided to swell up at midnight on Christmas day. :eek:

It's why I mention about stimulating the adrenalin because this was something we had to resort to whilst waiting for the meds to kick in and it does have an effect in my experience.

its spreading now to under his chin..around the mouth...tried to excite him jac but no chance..he is now shivering like mad on the settee...phoned vets but nothing till 4...he is breathing fine so thats good..trying to keep calm but his face looks deformed now...will let you know when get back from vets...thanks for advice :thumbsup:

its spreading now to under his chin..around the mouth...tried to excite him jac but no chance..he is now shivering like mad on the settee...phoned vets but nothing till 4...he is breathing fine so thats good..trying to keep calm but his face looks deformed now...will let you know when get back from vets...thanks for advice :thumbsup:

Hope he gonna be ok Sarah :luck: ................i,m sure they will sort him out,it could be anything thats already been mentioned or something else,good luck at the vets :luck: :luck:

hiya dawn..just got back from vets..she gave him a steroid jab and said to keep on with piriton till sunday...he looks so odd..he really does,and the others wont leave him alone,sniffing him all over.....the dreaded vets smell! she reckons it could take a while for swelling to go down..he looks very sorry for himself! bless :wub:

hiya dawn..just got back from vets..she gave him a steroid jab and said to keep on with piriton till sunday...he looks so odd..he really does,and the others wont leave him alone,sniffing him all over.....the dreaded vets smell! she reckons it could take a while for swelling to go down..he looks very sorry for himself! bless :wub:

Poor love !!!!.......i,m sure he will be bright as rain in no time :thumbsup: and hopefully the swelling will go down soon :luck: What did the vet say???

lots of hugs to Blue :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Keep us updated with his progress hun :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glad hes had a trip to the vets Sarah, :thumbsup: hope hes more himself soon ....

I had a similar case with Oscar, never found out what caused it either...his faces swelled up exactly the same...it looks so aweful dosnt it poor lad... :huggles:

Get Well soon

POOR BLUE :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Get well soon :luck:

Piriton is just the best, most useful thing to have in the medicine cabinet.

My dog Peat knocked a wasp's bike (that is what the nests are called in case anyone thinks I am being funny :) ) Out of a bush, he looked like something out of a horror movie, wasps all over him stinging away. He collapsed but fortunately we were not far from home. I crushed up a Piriton tablet and got it down him ASAP. The vet reconed that being given the piriton so quickly had saved his life.

I now keep piriton liquid in the house as it is easier to get into a semi concious dog :)

Please give BLUE gentle huggs from all of us here

thanks everyone for kind comments :thumbsup: just took this pic of him now.....

blue025.jpg

he is looking better isnt he? i think it was to do with the lillies i had...they pose dangers to dogs,didnt know that until today so needless to say wont be buying them again..

The steroids will work a treat. In my experiences I prefer a dog to receive steroids rather than the piriton. The only reason for my preference is because piriton can be slightly sedative which may be undesirable in a dog that is potentially having airway problems. However it is a prescription drug and as such isn't as easily accesible as anti-histamine drugs. As such piriton does have a place in the first aid kit but caution should be used not to overdose and the dog needs to be closely monitored during the attack.

If Blue's got hives over his body, I'd expect they've already gone by now. Facial swelling tends to improve over 24-48hrs with generally some minor residual swelling lingering for a little longer.

Hope your both ok, I imagine you've both had quite a traumatic day! :sweating:

Get well soon Blue :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back