The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Boarding For Dogs

~Helen~

Warrior Queen
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:) What do you look for when you're going to have a look round a kennels for the first time?

:) What kind of questions should a dog owner be asking the proprietor?

:) Have you used a kennels and been really pleased - would you like to recommend them to other K9-ers? Please reply to this thread :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can thoroughly recommend the following kennel. My family have been using them for years. They truly care for the dogs. On our latest visit (May 2006), they were extremely accomodating with their BARF diet and allowed me to bring in endless bags of meat, chicken, eggs and veg which could be stored in one of their freezers.

All three came out in excellent condition. When Chloe first went there in 2003 she went off her food. They fed Chloe their own dogs raw tripe and mince in order to get her to eat - which she duly did! Now Chloe pulls to get in the place!!

The also board small animals. Our rabbits use to go there and the hutches are a good size and they get fed plenty of fresh veg etc

Wychwood Kennels

Kynnersley Drive

The Hincks

Lilleshall

Shropshire

TF10 9HS

01952 604285

I currently work at Barkimber kennels. The dogs we get in are always dragging their owners in! The kennels are in a horseshoe shape around the central exercise area. They get let out into the secure compound off lead 4 times a day to do their own thing, mainly so they toilet, old dogs potter around and young dogs do about 5 laps and run up to all the other dog kennels winding them up.

We provide everything for your dog, they get a plastic bed with vetbed. All the premium quality brands of food are used. E.g bakers, pedigree, hills, jameswellbeloved, eukanuba and if the owners specifically want their dog fed on something that we don't stock they are welcome to bring it in and we regularly have a ridgeback come in that's fed on barf.

Sandie Slater

Barkimber Kennels

7 Packhorse Lane

Purton

Wiltshire

01793 771285

I rang up loads of kennels before going to see several and then finally choosing a couple to try out, I asked a lot about what kind and how much excercise they were given and how much attention they would have. I prefer it if they take the dogs on an actual walk rather than letting them out into an exercise yard.

Having said that the one we chose and woud recommmend didn't do that! But i really liked it anyway, mainly because of the lovely staff, it seems clean and efficient and they genuinely seem to love dogs. The second time we took monty he was really excited from the moment we turned into the drive, and when we saw the kennel girl he practically launched himself at her and forgot all about me!!

Rushwood borading kennels

Shab hill

Cheltenham

Recommended by BecPeters:

http://www.pawz4thought.co.uk/

BecPeters says: Hi. We have been sending Harley and Joshy to a lady called Bev for the last few months who runs boarding and day care facilites from her house in Downend, Bristol and they seem to absolutley love it, it has taken us all a few months to get ready for it as we had never been away whilst we had dogs, so over the space of a couple of months before, we started getting them used to it and Bev and they have just come back from a whole week there, and pretty much slept for nearly two days, sign of a lot of fun had by them all I think, anyway I have put the website underneath and would happily recommend her to anyone in and around the Bristol area........

I offer home boarding in the Staffordshire Area if anyone is interested. My website will tell you all you need to know!

My Webpage

Thanks

Clare

I work in a fab kennels in South Glos, and have done so for 6 years now ..............Anyone interested in info please email me :cheers: Hannah.

I look for kennels who have nothing to hide, who allow me to drop in unannounced and are willing to show me around.

I totally recommend these in Dorset:

http://www.westburtonkennels.co.uk/

We dropped in on a bank holiday because a week before our holiday our sitter had a family emergency. They showed us from one end of the kennel block to the other, were very aware of the needs of whippets, recommended going to 3 feeds a day to maintain their weight...

The first time Savvy lost a little weight. Each time since all the dogs have come out at the exact weight they were when they went in. They go in wagging their tails, they come out doing the same. If they weren't happy they wouldn't eat no matter how many times they were fed.

Is it ideal? Well of course they'd be happier if they were at home with someone staying with them, BUT in the kennels they're safer - there's always 2-3 doors between them and outside.

My ideal would be a wonderful whippet-savvy in house sitter. I had one, but she got married LOL

Wendy

I can highly recommend Lakeside Kennels at the Peartree round about in Oxford. Tess has gone in since she was a puppy and adores it as do Esme and Jo, Nana spent some time in a dog pound so I was very worried about putting her in, but she tolerates it well. They let me take all their beds and toys and their own food. They so love Naomi who runs it they run miles across the meadow to jump all over her when they see her.

Can I ask a question - why do whippets "not do well" in kennels, and what should I be looking for in a kennel owner who "understands the breed" as opposed to someone who is just very kind with all the dogs in their care?

For those who are reluctant to board their dogs and want them to get the one on one attention they get at home, I highly recommend www.barkingmad.uk.com

just back from holiday and my 2 have home boarded at "Waggytail" west yorkshire they have a massive secure garden which is dog proof and live as one of the family both dogs slept on the sofa it is run by Nigel and Angie and i can reccomend them 100% they gave us a cd of pics of the dogs stay and they had a ball

Tel No 01977 671917

~Helen~ said:
Can I ask a question - why do whippets "not do well" in kennels, and what should I be looking for in a kennel owner who "understands the breed" as opposed to someone who is just very kind with all the dogs in their care?

I think whippets tend to not do so well in a kennel environment because they aren't an 'active all day' type of breed. They can also worry more than some other breeds. When in kennels there is activity all day, and rather than sleeping the day away like they would at home, there is excitement and activity, and they burn a lot more energy than they would at home. Because they have little body fat, and therefore no reserves, this means that they will burn off what they have, and can lose some serious weight in kennels.

Having a kennel that understood this and made the recommendation to feed extra means that my girls don't lose the weight that they might otherwise - they were willing and able to try to pre-empt it. They also prepared me for the fact that they 'could' lose it and I shouldn't be shocked by it.

Absolutely you want a kennel where they are very kind with all dogs, but if they have an understanding of the difference of the sighthound breeds, and that they may need a little more care in particular areas, then it's even more peace of mind isn't it?

:D

Wendy

Cleopatra said:
Could anyone recommend a kennels in or around hertfordshire
I've used Little Revel End kennels at Redbourn, mine were happy there

you can just turn up during office hours and the staff will show you around, it was nice and clean and I would take mine back there without thinking twice!

www.littlerevelend.com

I know Im not around the same area as you but we also are going on holiday in late August and this will be Oscar and Kobis first time in kennels.

Weve been around a few, and have found a lovely smaller kennel quite near to us (only 14 kennels) someone there 24 hours a day - are willing to let my dogs have there chicken wings on mornings and their raw diet on an evening time too. :thumbsup:

The lady there breeds Akitas, but I noticed there were also a couple of sighthounds in and she said she does get whippets too. It was lovely and clean even though we just dropped in without any notice at all and were showed around everywhere, and she even has a small grooming parlour too.

It had a lovely secluded paddock area for the dogs to excercise on or off the leader as owners prefered. and I noticed al the dogs seemed very calm when we visited - whereas one kennel we visited the dogs barked consistently. (w00t)

Must say I was very happy with it. :thumbsup: Strangely enough its called K-Nine Kennels. :lol: and all within 6 miles of us.

doris said:
Cleopatra said:

you can just turn up during office hours and the staff will show you around, it was nice and clean and I would take mine back there without thinking twice!

www.littlerevelend.com

Just a word of warning to all! Two years ago I boarded two of our dogs ( Basset and Norfolk Terrier) for one week whilst we went on holiday. I had used the kennels once before and had no complaints. On my return I picked the dogs up and returned home. A distance of five miles. It was obvious that Poppy, the basset was not well. Within two hours she was at the vets with gastric torsion. She had gastro enteritis and despite surgery and excellent veterinary care died the next day. The following day Perry the Norfolk had really bad diarrhoea and vomiting. He was taken straight to the vets and was diagnosed with the same gastro enteritis. Fortunately he recovered after a week on a drip and antibiotics. Stool samples were taken from both dogs and the same strain of infection was identified. I took out an insurance offered by the kennels for their stay to cover all veterinary expenses. To cut a long story short I received nothing. The kennels said that they must have contracted it before their stay! Unlikely, as my vet told me. Both dogs would have shown symptoms of diarrhoea previous to my collecting them and neither received the veterinary attention they needed. I will never forgive myself for placing them in their care and it will haunt me always. I know that this is probably an isolated incident and most kennels care for our dogs as we do. Despite my complaints to the local authority these people are still operating and have shown no remorse at all. Animal lovers? I think not. Just i it for the money.

artemis said:
doris said:
Cleopatra said:

www.littlerevelend.com

Just a word of warning to all! Two years ago I boarded two of our dogs ( Basset and Norfolk Terrier) for one week whilst we went on holiday. I had used the kennels once before and had no complaints. On my return I picked the dogs up and returned home. A distance of five miles. It was obvious that Poppy, the basset was not well. Within two hours she was at the vets with gastric torsion. She had gastro enteritis and despite surgery and excellent veterinary care died the next day. The following day Perry the Norfolk had really bad diarrhoea and vomiting. He was taken straight to the vets and was diagnosed with the same gastro enteritis. Fortunately he recovered after a week on a drip and antibiotics. Stool samples were taken from both dogs and the same strain of infection was identified. I took out an insurance offered by the kennels for their stay to cover all veterinary expenses. To cut a long story short I received nothing. The kennels said that they must have contracted it before their stay! Unlikely, as my vet told me. Both dogs would have shown symptoms of diarrhoea previous to my collecting them and neither received the veterinary attention they needed. I will never forgive myself for placing them in their care and it will haunt me always. I know that this is probably an isolated incident and most kennels care for our dogs as we do. Despite my complaints to the local authority these people are still operating and have shown no remorse at all. Animal lovers? I think not. Just i it for the money.

Was this at the above mentioned Kennels please ?? would be nice to know and serve as a warning to others.

Janimal said:
artemis said:
doris said:
Cleopatra said:

www.littlerevelend.com

Was this at the above mentioned Kennels please ?? would be nice to know and serve as a warning to others.

yes, I'd like to know that too, especially as I've just said that I'd use them again!!

just bumping this up in case artemis is online.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back