The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Boots For Winter Dog Walking

FeeFee

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've clung rather stubbornly over the last few years to my boring Hunter Wellies - I find them really comfortable to walk in, even for long-ish walks, but I'm sure the quality isn't as good as it used to be. The first pair I had lasted for years, my current pair I've had for less than a year and the soles are very worn down already.

My normal walks aren't exactly hikes over rough terrain, but I do walk for at least a couple of hours every day across farmland and countryside, encounter lots of mud and sometimes wade across streams etc so need something reasonably high and completely waterproof, and of course comfortable and warm for the winter.

I just wondered what other people use and can recommend?

i love my hunters wellies, so much i have 2 pairs :-

got the wellie warmer thingys to, love them :thumbsup:

I hate winter & the cold & i suffer from really bad circulation in my toes & fingers (raynauds disease) so wellies are a definite no no for me. 1. because i find them so stiff & uncomfortable & some can be really heavy too & 2. Even with insert thingys my toes just freeze.

In the winter i always go back to the good old lightweight thermal insulated moonboots/ski boots i find them so comfortable & warm & lightweight.

I actually work next door to a ski shop/sportshop now so have just bought a new pair in the sale £35 reduced from £50 totally waterproof, light & all lined with sheepskin. I find ski shops/sports shop sell a decent range & also Ebay if you put in moon boots or ski boots have a good selection. :)

I've tried others, but apart from Mountain Horse (which cost a fortune and I can't justify it) I always return to Hunters or Huntresses :thumbsup:

You're right about the quality tho' ..... I wear them for riding too and they go very quickly around the ankle now as well as the tread wearing out faster :( but I would still go the Hunter route myself :thumbsup:

Someone has very kindly sent me this link, which has Hunter Wellies with cosmetic flaws (which wouldn't bother me in the slightest) for £20 - but sadly not my size :( I wouldn't have been too worried about wearing them out quickly at that price!

Other Hunter fans might find it useful though

http://www.wellywarehouse.co.uk/hunter-m-8...153&sort=2a

i have aigle iso's which are neopreened lined the best wellies i have ever bought, this is my second pair of aigle's in about 10 yrs,

lovely and warm i hate wellies that make your feet cold

Thought they had invented wellies for dogs when i first read this :lol: Has anyone mention muck boots they are called neoprene type wellies very warm (even walking through the snow this January) the cowshit rotted them and made them split after about 18 months of almost daily wear and tear ,not bad .

i've got Dubarry's. they are the best boots i've ever had...they're not cheep though.

i wear mine all day, every day sooooo comfey.

:D "Muddies".......soft, cumfy and waterproof........Bliss!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great topic to have started i always have the trouble of finding a boot or even a pair of wellies that fit my legs. Does anyone else have this problem, i wouldnt say that my calves are overally big just can never find a pair to fit comfortably or a pair i can fit my jeans in as well.

I have a similar problem but from the other end, my feet are size 2 and I can never get decent boots to fit. Kids walking boots are quite limited in design and fit and not made to last very long - the ones I've had are only waterproof in light showers, not muddy puddled fields! I've got some kids hunters which seem to be the same quality as the adults, and knit my own huge thick socks to go in them, and have just ordered some kids Muddies.

My friend has horses and she has Woof Wear Boots - http://www.frogpool.com/prodcat-938.html for an example which are apparently really warm and very comfy but she's not worn them in very wet weather yet so not sure how waterproof the leg part is!

I bought a friend some Hunters for his birthday and he found them too narrow in the calf, but I exchanged them for some Town & Country ones (which were cheaper!) and they fit better. I found them in a large garden centre but they are online too eg http://www.easy-wellies.co.uk/town-and-cou...ellies-c-2.html

If money is no object ;) then Meindl, Asolo or Scarpa walking boots are really good and waterproof to the knee combined with a good pair of gaiters. I would love to save my pennies and get some of those but they just don't make them small enough!

Best of luck, I find shopping very frustrating sometimes...

Edited to add: sorry being daft, boots and gaiters not waterproof if fording streams!!! doh.

Last edited by a moderator:
ARIAT BOOTS ARE BRILLIANT, THEY ARE EXPENSIVE BUT DO LAST, THEY DOUBLE UP FOR HORSE RIDING AND STABLE DUTIES PLUS VERY COMFORTABLE FOR DOG WALKING.THEY ARE A LITTLE CHEAPER IF YOU BUY THEM ON THE AMERICAN EBAY SITE. WE ALL NOW HAVE A PAIR.

I hate winter & the cold & i suffer from really bad circulation in my toes & fingers (raynauds disease) so wellies are a definite no no for me. 1. because i find them so stiff & uncomfortable & some can be really heavy too & 2. Even with insert thingys my toes just freeze.
In the winter i always go back to the good old lightweight thermal insulated moonboots/ski boots i find them so comfortable & warm & lightweight.

I actually work next door to a ski shop/sportshop now so have just bought a new pair in the sale £35 reduced from £50 totally waterproof, light & all lined with sheepskin. I find ski shops/sports shop sell a decent range & also Ebay if you put in moon boots or ski boots have a good selection. :)
I've got Raynaud's syndrome too and so i bloody hate winter and being freezing cold. I think i'd die without my electric blanket at night!! Im on the hunt for some new WARM winter boots so will look at the links with interest....

I just stick my old Brashers on with two pairs of socks, one thinner pair to act as a liner, and a thicker more woolly pair. I always buy my boots 1.5-2 sizes bigger than my normal foot size to accommodate the two layers of socks. Works a treat for me. Being walking boots they only go above the ankle, so I occasionally wear gaiters as well if the mud is going to be a problem, otherwise I put up with muddy trousers (don't tend to wear jeans out and about as they don't keep your legs warm, especially if they get wet). I can't imagine going for long walks in wellies, but I've never tried anything other then standard wellies, so can't make a proper comparison with walking/fell boots. Proper walking boots are a must round here for the steeper fells.

Some great suggestions, I've been looking at some of the recommendations. Why are all the ones I really like £200+? :( :b

can imagine that the ones that really work cost about 200 quid a pair

I've got Raynaud's syndrome too and so i bloody hate winter and being freezing cold. I think i'd die without my electric blanket at night!! Im on the hunt for some new WARM winter boots so will look at the links with interest....
yep i have recently been told i have Raynaud's syndrome ,cant live without my electric blanket ,just brought a pair of Dr Martins shoes which are tough and comfy and were a good price :)

I got my Muddies this morning, they are very comfy and once you've warmed them up they are toasty too. The kids ones only come in the mid height but the sizes seem quite snug, so at some point I will splash out on a proper grown-up long pair in a size 3 and an extra pair of socks!

It's been chucking it down here so I will get to test them in action later today. Dora seems to like the smell of neoprene so will have to ensure they are put away before she runs off with one...

I got my Muddies this morning, they are very comfy and once you've warmed them up they are toasty too. The kids ones only come in the mid height but the sizes seem quite snug, so at some point I will splash out on a proper grown-up long pair in a size 3 and an extra pair of socks!
It's been chucking it down here so I will get to test them in action later today. Dora seems to like the smell of neoprene so will have to ensure they are put away before she runs off with one...
mmm, going to have a look at these....really need something for the winter :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back