The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Border Collie?

Discussion in 'Puppy Forum' started by Krypton, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Krypton

Krypton New Member Registered

My ex partner bought a puppy for my 11 year old son as he has long wanted a dog. I don't know anything about these, but I guess a Border Collie possibly or some cross breed similar? It came from a farming background. If it is one, I think they have made a big mistake as they need a lot or attention. I want to help, but I am not living there. It is 8 weeks old. They reckon they researched it, but I can't see it as they look like hard work. Any ideas on breed or cross?

bc1.jpg bc2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
    Whippylove likes this.
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

It does look like a border collie. They are often sensitive dogs who respond well to praise and reward, but can get very anxious if hardline discipline is used. They ike having a job to do - agility or flyball are fabulous activities for them.

Flobo and arealhuman like this.
  3. Biker John

Biker John Active Member Registered

Totaly agree with JoanneF, in fact I would say it stronger, Border Collies can make wonderful dogs, but they NEED something to use their brain. So as well as giving it sufficient physical exercise, (and with an adult thats quite a lot), they need to work so must have mental exercise. Without this they can easily turn into the worse kind of pet dog you will ever come across.

4. Mad Murphy

Mad Murphy Well-Known Member Registered

Does look like a B.C .. Yes the pup like any other pup will need lots of attention and training. But these dogs are brilliant. They are smart loyal and very very faithful and they deserve owners willing to put in the work to raise them properly.

Flobo likes this.
  5. Krypton

Krypton New Member Registered

If it's a cross breed is it likely to be easier to manage? I don't know how to tell. They told me it was a pure breed through. I hear you can get mongrels that look like a real breed and act nothing like the real breed.

6. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

I wouldn't say being a cross breed would make it easier to mange. In fact it could be worse depending on what it has been crossed with!

I agree with all the other comments above :)

Flobo likes this.
  7. Flobo

Flobo Active Member Registered Partner

That's just what I was going to say, agree with all above comments, and it looks like a Border Collie. A working breed that definitely needs the extra stimulus!