The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Border terrier puppy imminent

Elvin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello and happy new year

I am getting a 9 week old border terrier puppy in 3 weeks it will be my first dog.

Looking for a bit of advice to see if if I am on the right lines...

I work full-time 4 days a week - earlies 7-2 lates 2-10 and nights 9 -6.

I have booked 3 weeks off to settle him in to his new home.

now I know a lot of people will say it is not fair on a dog if youre working and can't be home 24/7 but hardly anyone would have a dog if that was the case I suppose.

So my plan is as Follows...
I intend to crate train and will have a 6 foot play pen also.

Earlies - 5am take dog out for the toilet play till 5.45 then breakfast back out for toilet then out to work 6.15 with dog crated. My sister will then be collecting dog at 9am till 1pm with dinner around 12pm. Back in crate 1 till 3 when I get home. Then out and about training etc tea at 6/7 and bed at 10/11

Lates - 7am wake up toilet breakfast play etc till 9am. Crate/ or play pen till 11 lunch walk etc till 1pm crate 1 -3 till my sister collects and will be looking after till 8pm when she will crate him till I get home at 10pm

Nights - similar routine as above and will be staying at my sisters at night.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a novice and want as much help as possible. Done loads of reading and youtube.

Should the crate be locked for naps or access to pen be granted?

Food times sound ok whilst still puppy on 3 meals a day?

Should I sleep in front room for first night or not?

I think a 9-week-old puppy should be on 4 meals a day rather than 3, so you might want to double-check that.

Some puppies can really struggle with being left on their own, whether crated, penned, or allowed to roam. It's important not to leave a pup longer than they can cope with, or they are likely to become more insecure and start fretting as soon as they see you prepare to leave, so do be prepared for the need to rely on your sister a bit more or even use a dog sitter in the early days.

There's a thread about separation anxiety here: Separation anxiety Avoiding SA in the first place uses similar principles - build up gradually, from leaving your dog in another room, through opening the front door and not going out, and so on. Also have a read of the 'flitting game' in this article, written by Emma Judson, a leading expert on SA: https://www.thecanineconsultants.co.uk/post/separation-anxiety-fact-vs-fiction

There's also an excellent article about crate training here: Crate-Training.docx - Microsoft Word Online You don't need to use a crate at all - personally I would let pup have as much freedom as possible, and keep the crate open but enticing as a cosy den.

I would plan to sleep with your pup, either in your bedroom or where you want him to sleep eventually, until he's settled in. You want him to feel secure, as secure pups grow into secure adults.

Great dogs, treat him well and train him well and you will have one hell of a dog. They are smart cookies, with endless amounts of energy, i love em. I've never had a bad one yet they've all been happy well balanced dogs with no issues. I've worked full-time and had border terriers all my life. Great dogs

I like Borders a LOT! You have put a lot of thought into your proposed schedule - kudos to you! But be prepared for puppy having its own schedule, which may not be what you had planned for. Be flexible, as it's better for us to adapt than if we expect puppy to. I've had most of my dogs from pups, and they each bring their own challenges no matter how experienced we are, so always feel you can come here for advice and empathy.

Brilliant! Cheers for the replies so far. Might be home more than I thought with the new lockdown but still want to build the habit early of the dog being independent and not getting separation anxiety if I go out for an hour or 2.

I will check with breeder see how often they are feeding. I was torn between 3 and 4 initially

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back