The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Brain Training

Lisa S

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I wonder if anyone has any ideas on good books or toys that I could get? My boy does seem to get rather bored at times regardless of how many different walks he gets (he tries to discover new walks for himself), he plays with other dogs and I spend a lot of time playing with him but instead of just throwing things it would be nice to get his brain going and stimulate him a bit more.

I have seen the wooden brain toys and I wondered if anyone had any success? We have taken him to agility which he is quite good at but is very distracted by the other dogs and just wants to play which annoys other owners. I think he would love it if we got another dog but we are not in a position to do that at the moment.

Any ideas?

I got one of those wooden interactive toys for my dogs. They are quite expensive but do keep the dogs thinking. My Hebe had it sussed in a few minutes (she's not daft where food is involved :lol: ) the dog has to slide blocks of wood to expose the treat below.

you have to supervise the dog tho as they will try to bite the wooden blocks & could quite easily destroy them.

I've also got a little book called "The idiots guide to dog tricks" which has loads of easy tricks to teach your dog. Stick with the agility as once your dog gets used to the surroundings I bet he'll love it.

At the risk of sounding like a total fruitcake - I play a game with Dill that just sort of evolved. We have a big yoghurt pot and a golf ball....

Dill has to flat / sit / whatever I decide and then the ball is placed under the pot and pushed accross the floor, so it moves along in a very dog-tempting way.

On command, Dill is released and launches himself at it - sending the pot flying one way and the ball the other!

He then has to bring me the pot and then the ball (or whichever order I choose)

I then hold the pot steady and he has to pick up the ball and drop it in the pot....

Then he gets a reward (another game!!!)

Don't stress about books and gadgets - just improvise and have fun ;)

Edited to say he's a very small dog and no way is he at risk of swallowing the golf ball!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of sounding like a total fruitcake - I play a game with Dill that just sort of evolved. We have a big yoghurt pot and a golf ball....
Dill has to flat / sit / whatever I decide and then the ball is placed under the pot and pushed accross the floor, so it moves along in a very dog-tempting way.

On command, Dill is released and launches himself at it - sending the pot flying one way and the ball the other!

He then has to bring me the pot and then the ball (or whichever order I choose)

I then hold the pot steady and he has to pick up the ball and drop it in the pot....

Then he gets a reward (another game!!!)

Don't stress about books and gadgets - just improvise and have fun ;)

Edited to say he's a very small dog and no way is he at risk of swallowing the golf ball!!!

What a fabulous game. Well done for thinking outside the square :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back