The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Breeder contract - dog repossession

Alba DeTamble

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Looking for some advice. We bought a pedigree dog from a first time breeder, the contract all looked standard and as our pup would always get the best care I didn't have a problem in signing.

We have since fallen out with the breeder due to her trying to micromanage us and our pups care and has resulted in us blocking her on social media. He is almost 2 years old and in amazing condition and is basically living his best life but she has decided she doesn't like our trainer (who she has never met and lives far away). Based on this and having not seen our pup in over a year is claiming she is concerned for his emotional welfare and threatening to remove him from our care if we continue to withhold communication (she was very aggressive and forceful with unsolicited advice on a dog she doesn't know anymore).

I suspect there to be alteria motives here as he have turned out to be a rare colour and she hasn't micromanage the other pups to the same degree. I believe she wants him back to breed from him and is using this as an excuse. I have also found out since that she has used one of her dogs as a weapon and put her bitch to stud without the stud owners permission and tried to hide it so not exactly the most honest person!

How enforceable is the contract in this regard and would she need to prove he is being mistreated (not the case) as I'm happy for any professional yo come see my happy well trained and balancedndog that gets the best of everything. I'm terrified of losing him as he is my world. I would also hate for my dog to end up with her as he is not used to being left and needs alot more exercise than she gives her dogs amount other things.

I really regret entering into any agreement with her but she came across as a concerned breeder which is normally what you want to get a well bred pup!

Agree with contacting the above.

But - to stiffen your spine - and I asked this at a legal seminar - what she can do is sue you for breach of contract, which will cost her a bomb and even if she carries out the threat and even if she wins you will not "have to" give the dog back because this is your dog, bought and paid for, not hers.

Easy for me to say, but - there is no need for you to worry. And for the benefit of other readers (because I doubt you would ever do this again) don't sign contracts. Pay the money, get a proper receipt, the pup is yours.

In English & Welsh law, once money has been exchanged any contract that gives the breeder the right to take your dog back isn't enforceable, because are "property" in English/Welsh law, it's akin to buying an inanimate object like a car & the manufacturer trying to take it back, because you don't clean it regularly..

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back