The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Broken Bones

madrid

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i went to sussex longdogs last week and met someone who said her lurcher had broken his leg and 10 months and said he would never race. i mentioned that my dog had broken its leg in 2 places at 6 months old and with a lot of work and a good vet she managed to race ok which cheered the lady up. Have any other owners had dogs that have broken bones that managed to return to racing or not?

:) I know of two friends who have both had dogs who broke their leg at an early age and both dogs went on to race and were very fast dogs, ( I think they both broke front legs) :(

I don't know if this makes a difference or not. I think the lady shouldn't give up hope. :thumbsup: Di

I have one that broke both bones in his front leg as a pup, just below the elbow joint. He has been competing in racing & coursing events :thumbsup: I think it depends on where & what type of break it is also the age of dog/pup.

When i was working with the racing greyhounds we had a lot that made a return to racing

with broken bones,

some that we thought would never make a return

it depends a lot on what bone is broke

Ray

Hobgoblin broke her leg just before she turned 3 yrs, with the help of a good vet, physiotherapy and good nutrition she went back to racing, clocking new track records at that time for the Gin Pit and getting 1 (possibly 2 Tony, can't remember) runner-up RCH positions.

Like what's been said, I think it's dependant on the type of break, it's location, how well it is repaired and how much time and effort your going to put into re-habilitating the dog. There's also the factor of the personality of the dog concerned as some can cope with the work that's involved and some cannot.

Hi

my dog broke his front leg at 7 months old, the vet managed to reset it, it was quite a long job waiting for him to heal, and not an easy task keeping a 7 month old pup under control with a cast on up to his shoulder, but we got there in the end, he has raced on the bends last year and all being well we will get a straight season out of him this year. he is now 2yrs 6months and now finding his feet on the straights (after the leg healed he broke a toe on his back foot but that is ok now) racing name Wintermoon running at 40lb or no limit

fiona

Hi my dog broke his front leg at 7 months old, the vet managed to reset it, it was quite a long job waiting for him to heal, and not an easy task keeping a 7 month old pup under control with a cast on up to his shoulder, but we got there in the end, he has raced on the bends last year and all being well we will get a straight season out of him this year. he is now 2yrs 6months and now finding his feet on the straights (after the leg healed he broke a toe on his back foot but that is ok now) racing name Wintermoon running at 40lb or no limit

fiona
And looking good :thumbsup: credit to you both :thumbsup:

OUR STARR BROKE HER LEFT LEG AT 10 MONTHS OLD ,SHE SMASHED HER LEFT HOCK TO PIECES . THE VET WANTED TO PUT HER TO SLEEP BECAUSE HE SAID THERE REALLY WAS NOT ALOT HE COULD DO. WE WOULD NOT LISTERN TO HIM AND HAD IT PUT IN PLASTER, THE VET SAID SHE WOULD BE A CRIPPLE AND HAVE A BAD LIMP. SHE IS NOW 18 MONTHS OLD AND HAS NO LIMP IS NOT A CRIPPLE AND RUNS AROUND JUST FINE. WE DO NOTICE IF SHE HAS BEEN OUT RUNNING AROUND FOR SOME TIME SHE DOES HAVE A LITTLE LIMP FOR A WHILE BUT ONCE SHE BACK HOME AND HAD A SLEEP IN HER BED SHE IS FINE AGAIN..... WE WILL NOT RACE HER BUT THAT REALLY DOES NOT MATTER, BECAUSE WE STILL HAVE HER AND SHE IS A LITTLE DARLING.

Biddy broke her front leg twice before she came to us as a result one of her legs is slightly better formed than the other you would have to look closely to notice because we know which leg it was we see it more. She had a pretty good racing career even though this had happened. Tell your friend not to give up hope with their dog just yet.

Val

lacey had a brocken hock before we got her and she raced again with a lot of work but indy brock both front legs before she was a year old and 3 toes aswell. turned out she had a bone problem she was born with so couldnt be pined eather nobody new till test were done after the breaks. so she could never race and her front legs look like old styal clothe pegs but she still charges about like a loony. i think most dogs with strate forward breaks do race again infact the fractuer aria should be stronger then the rest of the leg

FOR EVERY DOG THAT COME BACK TO RACE HALF HAS GOOD 20 DONT THATS GREYHOUNDS

desperate dan broke his leg at scotland and 6 titles later bends and straight he retired

My bitch Inca (Magic Flyer ) broke her tibia and fibia in her back leg, aged just 4mths. I had it plated and 8mths later she was racing in the yearlings. She loves to race and will continue to do so untill she has had enough. She does a funny skipping now when she is excited, and kicks it out a bit when racing. I think its the best feeling in the world when they can over come this sort of injury, with hardly any side effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
both Spellbound and Cracked it,

Spellbound is very frist slip broke his front leg just above the wrist and Cracked it, broke his knee joint when he was 3 years old and got titles after

our dog had got run over by a car when she was 12 months old and broke her knee cap she has pins in her leg and she is still running and she is now 3 years old so dont give up they will surprise you

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back