The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Broken Toe Nail

sue burton

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Tyg has boken his toe nail off right off at the base of his toe he did this last summer as well when it grew back it was deformed and when it happened again this week I took him to the vets because as you can imagine it was very painful the vat says it will almost certainly grow back even more deformed and if it do's the best thing to do is have the very end of his toe amputated to stop it keep happening as any one else had this problem

Rather than amputating the end of your dogs toe, could you not suggest to the vet that they remove the complete nail only? One of mine completely lost a nail 3 years ago, the whole nail came right out, leaving a clean gaping hole that healed over. The nail never grew back.

One of my girls lost her toe nail at 5 months old and it grew back ok but the nail was smaller than all the others , she managed to knock it off again when she was about 2 years old and again it grew back and was just the same size as it was after the first time she lost it .

She's coming up to 7 years old now and not had any more problems with it .

Hope your boy's nail will be ok .

Rather than amputating the end of your dogs toe, could you not suggest to the vet that they remove the complete nail only? One of mine completely lost a nail 3 years ago, the whole nail came right out, leaving a clean gaping hole that healed over. The nail never grew back.
I might well be wrong but I would have thought removing part of the actual toe was a bit extreme to be honest. One of my rescues has a back toenail missing (I know not through injury or surgery) but it doesn't worry her and it doesn't worry me. I think if a vet was suggesting to me to cut off a bit of toe, I'd be wanting a second opinion myself.

Amputation does sound extreme :(

My old dog Misty ripped a nail on her back foot out when she was 3. This grew back deformed and smaller than the other nails.

The nail appears to have no quick in it and is easy enough to trim. Due to its deformed shape and the risk that it may 'catch' on something, I keep it trimmed right back and Misty has never had any problems.

I would advise against amputation (it seems a very extreme option!) unless the new nail causes serious problems.

Just keep the new nail well trimmed.

Beetle broke a toe nail and had the very tip of his toe amputated a few months ago. His toe healed very quickly and he is perfectly sound on that foot, now and the toe nail is growing in and looking quite normal.

Liz , how can his toe ail be growing if hes had the end of his toe off ?

Alice ripped her nail up when only 3 weeks old and I pulled it off completely , she did get a small infection in it and up till now it hasnt grow back ,12 weeks even though I thik I can feel something

I must admit amputation does sound rather harsh IMO

I had a GSD many years ago who had one of her toes trodden on by a horse. The nail and nail bed was removed under anaesthetic and it healed well.

I think amputation of a toe joint is very extreme and probably unnecessary although there may be a clinical reason for this.

Maybe a second opinon is needed before subjecting Tyg to this type of surgery? Please let us know what happens, Sue. Good luck, little Tyg :luck: xx

Thanks for the replys he is much better in fact when we met people we know this morning with their whippets he was running round as if nothing had happened I found the nail this morning in the car it looked hollow no sign of any quick or blood so will keep an eye on him see what happens when it grows back and try to keep it trimmed very short

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back