The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Buying a new puppy

Stuart O

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there. Firstly really sorry if this has been asked already.

So I have always had dogs in my family growing up. Since getting my own family and having our own house we have been desperate to get a family dog. However due to our working arrangements we have never felt it woukd be fair on a dog. Recently our jobs have changed a bit partly due to lock down but also for the future meaning we will be around for a dog. Great news! Finally we can get a puppy. Unfortunately now we have started looking the prices seem very high. I'm no expert but over a grand for a jack russell for example seems a little extortionate. I've read a few articles that due to the lock down dog and sales have spiked and dogs are in demand due to people being at home even though many may back to work soon. My question really is does anyone know if prices are likely to drop once normality kicks back in? I'm desperate for a dog but can afford current prices.
Thank you for your time. I really hope the pups purchased during lock down aren't suddenly returned when people are told they need to go back to work.

I think you are right about a lot of people thinking (mistakenly imo) that this would be a good time to get a puppy.

Jack Russells are good, hardy little dogs so great choice. I don't know when prices will go back to normal, but I bet if you look in rescues a few weeks after they have, you will find young dogs who have been given up. Maybe not so many actual pups, but young enough to fit easily into your family.

Or, if you are looking for a pup, Champdogs is one of the reliable places to look for a responsible breeder rather than a puppy farmer or BYB. You could also find breeders and ask if they have litters planned.

Thank you for your reply I will have a look at at champ dogs. A jack Russel isn't necessarily a dog we would go for was just an example as I've heard they are one of the cheaper breeds to get. Sorry if I've got that wrong and not saying we would get one just that our options are open to most family dogs.

They definitely used to be one of the cheaper breeds! We paid £65 for our little jack but that’s going back a few years! ;) Our present Parson terrier was over £600 but now well over £1500 :eek: from some breeders , all gone crazy out there :(

I think that once this is over, and people go back to work and kids back to school - we'll see lots of returned puppies, or neglected in their homes.
Not sure whether this will have impact on prices. For now, rising prices I hope prevent at least some mistakes from being made by folks who want to get a dog for wrong reasons.

But all that aside, I would suggest taking a closer look at how much it costs to have a puppy after you got one - food, vet, doggie school, etc. - just to make sure this will not be a hardship. Costs of pretty much everything has gone up compared to many years ago.

Thanks appreciate the responses. Yep get the point about cost etc. We are not hard up but just didn't really want to pay double the price if we can help it. We are also aware of the of the work that is needed to go into owning a puppy.

There are plenty of lovely young and old dogs in rescue centers that make fantastic family companions, I've always had my terriers from such centers and have never been disappointed, reasonable priced. It's worth a look first I'd say you may be surprised. best of luck.

The trouble we have had with rescue is that first of all there seem to be very few dogs that we have found that are suitable for us as we have a 7 year old and a cat. Also we almost rehomed a dog and trialed one that was suitable for us but she unfortunately showed her teeth to our children a few times. Probably just unlucky be we've been burnt before.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back