The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bwra Championships

Doreen Hopkins

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Bill and I both think this has been one of the best BWRA Championships

for many a year.

I think the present BWRA National Committee have proved the point

that you don't necessarily have to have camping on the field to make

this event a success.

The weather obviously was a great bonus, but it has been quite some time

since the crowds of people were alongside the track cheering on their

friends and fellow club members whippets.

Bill and I belong to Thurrock S.E.W.R.C and it was great that we all sat together

alongside the track with all our club mates cheering each other on.

The Worcester club members did everyone proud, the tea tent never ran dry

and the sandwiches and cakes were in great abundance.

We must also congratulate this club on the superb standard of the racing track

Dave Waldron worked tirelessly on both days doing the lure, and Andrew and

Tam Jnr doing the photo finish, Linda and Joanne did the judging on both days

a thankless task as we all know. These people helped to make this event the success it was.

I for one would like to see next years champs held in the same place,

I think Worcester WRC has proved that it is of championship standard,

It will be interesting to hear if any other whippet racers came away with the same impression

Once again congratulations to all the BWRA National Committee.

kind regards to you all Doreen

:thumbsup: agree with everything you have said Doreen,

well done all the committee and works, who started working on making this a very enjoyable and special 40th anniversary long before the members arrival on saturday and i'm sure well after we went home on sunday

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

great run weekend well done bwra committe and all at worcster club you did us proud :thumbsup:

BOTH THE BWRA AND WORCESTER HAVE WORKED FOR WEEKS TO GIVE US THIS GREAT W/E. WELL DONE . NO RERUNS AND FINISHED IN REASONABLE TIME. A NICE HISTORY HAND OUT OF THE CHAMPS. THEY ALL 100% WHIPPETS, GREAT PEOPLE WITH THERE HEART ON RACING,CANNOT PRAISE ENOUGH :cheers: :luck: :thumbsup: (100% WITH DOREEN)

Last edited by a moderator:
The champs were well run by the committee and well hosted by the Worcester club.

It came as no surprise to me that both Little Bill and Weardale Spot ran out to be the supreme champions because of the way these two dogs performed two weeks earlier at the I.R.G. medals, both dogs were at the top of their form and i only wished that a bookie had been present to take bets on the supreeme outcome.

On the issue of camping it can be seen that if the Scratch and Vets had championships in their own right say with the pups on another day then both dogs and Bitches championship could be run very easily on one day, as for the history pamphlets given out certain issues arising will have to be addressed before i make comments on such a thing. once again well done to all the winners and to everyone who went just to enjoy the racing and the day.

Well done all the committee and workers , we had a great time :thumbsup:

well done all the winners and loosers,and to the committee,,,on a well run event,,but doreen your wrong about the camping mind. to me and i think others,its the social side of our sport and thats what keeps me in this sport i love.i have been blessed on haveing an open class dog and unlucky to have had lesser dogs,so to me its not worth traveling down the other end of the country to sit watching dogs then have to travel all the way back up to the north east.so if you get your own way half of us might as well sell our caravans,i try to support our sport whenever possible,ie raffle help out when asked,and watch my dogs i have bred win or loose,this weekend i was unable to attend due to haveing litters to look after,so i for one want to see a venue what will have camping on the field at your next big bwra avent next year,so i can go watch the dogs i have bred this year. i dont think i will be the only member who feels this way,thanks, kenny.

kenny m said:
well done all the winners and loosers,and to the committee,,,on a well run event,,but doreen your wrong about the camping mind. to me and i think others,its the social side of our sport and thats what keeps me in this sport i love.i have been blessed on haveing an open class dog and unlucky to have had lesser dogs,so to me its not worth traveling down the other end of the country to sit watching dogs then have to travel all the way back up to the north east.so if you get your own way half of us might as well sell our caravans,i try to support our sport whenever possible,ie raffle help out when asked,and watch my dogs i have bred win or loose,this weekend i was unable to attend due to haveing litters to look after,so i for one want to see a venue what will have camping on the field at your next big bwra avent next year,so i can go watch the dogs i have bred this year. i dont think i will be the only member who feels this way,thanks, kenny.

Hi Kenny,

I appreciate what you are saying, but I don't know if you realize that I am no longer a committee member so my comments were strictly as a BWRA member

so there isn't any possibility of me having any influence as a committee member

to say where the venue would be next year.

kind regards Doreen

I agree with most of what you've said Doreen and I think a huge well done is in order for both the BWRA commitee and Worc's club for their excellent efforts. :thumbsup:

However, I do think Kenny raises an important point, camping trackside is an important criteria to many and there was faces missing from this year's event for this reason.

I also agree with Doreen about the racing and the track but agree with kenny about camping trackside. I missed the racing on sunday to stay at the site with Kieran he sat trackside all sat while I ran the dogs but sunday he didn't want to. Usually he stays in the caravan or plays with friends but they couldn't this year. Still a very good weekend of racing.

sorry doreen didnt mean you in particular,a really well ran event,,and i do beleive it was gloriouse weather,,but i wonder if it would have been so good if we had,the rain weve had over the last few weeks,anyway sorry again doreen, but i do think i have a point about the camping issue,means that i wouldnt be prepaired to drive there,and then drive back all in the same day,,so come on bwra sort something for next year please!

Like Jacqui has said there were quite a few people missing, especially from the North East who didn't come due to there being no camping trackside, this was an issue as was the presentation on the field it just wasn't a celebration as it is if you hold it in a club, however i think it's fair to say we all made the most of it. :cheers: You couldn't fault the workers or the track, you could see a lot more effort had gone in than in recent years and imo this is what won people over, no reruns, no lure/trap failures, excellent trapmen and a good lureman, Mark also deserves a mention for being so approachable and taking a fair bit of flack :- " :cheers:

How tall is it today Mark??

grass.jpg

the track was fantastic and the event was well organised well down to worcestor club and the bwra commitee :thumbsup:

i however preferred the presentation on the field as normally we can't get to the presentation, so this year was the first time i actually collected lexi's trophy myself, i think its just down to personal choice :cheers:

kenny m said:
sorry doreen didnt mean you in particular,a really well ran event,,and i do beleive it was gloriouse weather,,but i wonder if it would have been so good if we had,the rain weve had over the last few weeks,anyway sorry again doreen, but i do think i have a point about the camping issue,means that i wouldnt be prepaired to drive there,and then drive back all in the same day,,so come on bwra sort something for next year please!

Hi Kenny, as we all know the BWRA did their very best to get a venue

where the running track was of championship standard, and would also

accomodate the members for camping.

They were let down on a couple of occassions when they thought that they had

everything in place, and as far as I'm aware apart from Worcester there was only one other venue that could possibly have accomodated camping as well as a racing track but that did not come to fruition.

I'm sure if any of the BWRA members know for sure of a venue that would meet the criteria and they let the BWRA National Committee know now ready for next year they would take all the information into consideration and start to make plans now.

I know the difficult part is to try to keep it as central as possible to be fair to all BWRA members, but as I said if they start to get some idea of what is on offer

now it will give them plenty of time to check out various venues.

Of course they wouldn't be able to guarantee the glorious weather we had for this years championships but I'm sure they will give it a dam good try.

kind regards Doreen

I myself did not camp or stay for two days chose to just run on bitch day---

But the only way this meeting could have improved in any way would have been to have camping at track side----

but what a great track---what a great team---AND THE CAKE !!!!!!!!!!

and what with no re-runs trap failure or any other of the normal things that can and do go wrong from time to time congratulations to all that played a part are well in order ===

This does not mean it has to be this way in the future

but it is possible-----------------------!

i still think it should be moved round the regions myself as then it would be like a competition who could put on the best

it would be good for the sport as local press would be there and each region would have their own ways of running it ===

plus it would be fairer for all as far as traveling is concerned ---

after all look at all the hype and interest there is in the getting the olimpic games awarded and how countries try so hard to better the last one==it does work ----

its____

Steve ---please forgive any spelling mistakes

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Steve on the idea of moving round regions each year,giving everybody a fair crack of the whip.Worcester club members and the BWRA,have shown what working together can produce :thumbsup:I'm sure there's clubs in other regions that would love a chance of hosting the champs,might be worth thinking about :D Karen

rodders said:
I agree with Steve on the idea of moving round regions each year,giving everybody a fair crack of the whip.Worcester club members and the BWRA,have shown what working together can produce :thumbsup:I'm sure there's clubs in other regions that would love a chance of hosting the champs,might be worth thinking about :D Karen

I agree Karen, it would be great to move it around the country

the only problem I can see is how do the BWRA transport the scratch

traps to each venue.

The hosting clubs handicap traps could be used for the Veterans

and the class run offs and also their equipment to rope off the track

but the Scratch traps are a big problem.

It was fortunate that this year the scratch traps had been stored at

Moreton In Marsh, which isn't too far from Worcester,and Colin Armstrong went to collect them

but how do you solve the problem of moving them around the country

and then moving them somewhere else for storage, there is a lot of work involved in solving this problem.

regards Doreen

I'm sure it's not an insurmountable problem :D The way the BWRA worked with those at the Worcester club showed us that a great deal can be achieved with some great team work. It was a fabulous weekend, but i agree with the comments made previously, camping trackside would have made a difference for me personally, but if it is not a necessity then there are plenty of good race tracks around the country that have camping facilities nearby :))

Chris

I agree with Steve,as for scratch traps,I personally would make scratch traps if the championships were held in Scotland.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back