The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Caeser milan - love or hate what do you think?

banana

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A big one for a Dog Forum! :lol:

I wont say what I think yet! :lol:

And I daren't answer with my true opinions ;)

I think that some of his methods are questionable and he does believe in the dominance theory, which many don't.

I do believe though that he has a true love of dogs and has their best interests at heart. Many of the dogs in his pack were about to be put to sleep because of aggression issues and he has saved them from death row.

I watched one of his programmes last week and he does seem to be using praise and reward far more than he used to.

I also think he was one of the first to try to understand dog psychology and to recognise that not all dogs are aggressive for the same reason, that is some are anxious, some are stressed, etc.

I sometimes feel that some of our modern behaviourists have taken on board his psychology theories, but rubbish him entirely for the rest. I don't like either some of the terrible things that are said about him. I don't think he deserves that.

After all, apparently, his marriage ended because his Wife said he loves dogs more than he does her!!

Is it terrible that I have never watched him? I had to google him just the other month because I'd never heard of him. Does he has his own programme or something??

Yes, he has a programme on Nat Geo Wild called the Dog Whisperer. x

I shall have to watch it then and get back to you with what I think ;)

His gift and understanding of dogs is amazing! I cannot for the life of me understand all the haters?? I feel so sorry for the dogs when he has to give them back to their owners who clearly don't know what their doing most of the time...Love the guy

Part of the hate is that the flooding techniques that he uses with some of the stressed and potentially aggressive dogs don't relieve the dog of stress, they just flood the dog until it becomes so stressed it shuts down and that can be dangerous for both the dog and the people around the dog because a certain proportion of dogs flip when that flooding is removed and become truly dangerous.

Another one is the dogs that have died as a result of the treatment they have received from him. Things like putting the dog on a treadmill until their heart gives out.

Have a look around on the web, there are lots of sites with very detailed and reasoned criticisms of his methods.

He has set training methods back by decades with his dominance techniques and has done immense harm to dogs. He uses questionable methods off camera and never has the animal's interests at heart - he only considers his own and the publicity he is generating to make money for himself.

He is a thoroughly evil and cruel man.

think he knows his stuff hes not a softee and takes no shit. got to be honest im not soft with dogs when training. mr milan you are a legend in my books.

I didn't know dogs had died because of his technique! Must go and google that.

I'm not sure about him.

aye id like to know whats happened but im not jumping on the hate bandwagon just yet. i like to train my dogs hard and make sure they know im the boss and not fanny around then come on.ere saying help train my dog please

Jackson Galaxy has far more flexibility in the way that he looks at an animal's perceived issues and fears than CM has ever shown, and he genuinely does care about the cats having a happier future. Moreover, he's worked out that cats don't tend to react very well to all sorts of negative training methods and he's the one who's going to need the plasters afterwards if he gets it wrong.

As my vet said, when the owner turns up covered in plasters and carrying a growling basket and a pair of big leather gauntlets, you tend to take them seriously when they tell you that their cat isn't in the mood to be friendly (my Isaac had been in a scrap and got an abscess on the base of his tail that he wasn't happy- at all!- about).

why didnt this other woman sue if milan stole the name? just more american bullshi...... we all av diff views i suppose.

the internet rumor mill is working well i reckon. I've looked and there are no reports of him killing a dog. There is plenty of speculation. There is one case that settled out of court, of a dog being injured at his training place on a treadmill. But this dog was being supervised by its owners trainer and old milan wasn't present. I personally know a few people who get someone else to 'train' their dog, these people are idiots. People should research properly before claiming internet articles as fact, there are many exaggerations out there!

I've watched a few of his programmes, a few years ago now, so my memory isn't that clear, but i do remeber him discouraging people from using those spike collar things, and encouraging people to use a collar high up the neck of a dog, to gain a bit of control.

He does use some fairly physical techniques, but fair enough the guy is dealing with some fairly physical dogs.

I've watched his shows, and thought to myself that his techniques of poking a dog or tapping it with his foot aren't really suitable for me, or mine, but i don t think he was being cruel or harming any dogs, and they all seemed much happier, for his well timed corrections. Shocked at first yes, that things are going the same way they normally do, but then happier when they are able to relax around whatever it is that is stressing them. I've seen him use an e-collar with a vibrating bit on it, to train a horrendously aggressive american bulldog to become less aggressive around food. He stressed timing and said that using one without a behaviourist was a bad idea. It was not an electric shock collar as people claim, and this dog, and its owner were in a desperate situation.

The problem is, is that it is a tv show! If anyone thinks they are going to learn anything from sitting in front of the blimmin telly then they are mistaken. It would be like watching someone doing a back flip on the telly then thinking they could do the same. He does use the dominance model to explain the behaviours of every dog, and i don't totally agree with him on this, but regardless of the words he is using to explain himself, he really obviously know his stuff, about dog body language and things. He doesn't go around hurting fearful dogs, and explains to many owners that their 'aggressive' dog simply isn't, it is just stressed out because of the OWNERS behaviour. He encourages people to exercise their dog first and other sensible advice, which crosses over with advice given by many other dog trainers.

Cesar milan, pretty obviously has the interests of dogs at heart, there is much internet trashing of him by hysterical folk who claim all sorts of things, like his own dogs are all obviously scared of him, drooling and shaking and shutting down. If you watch, this clearly is not true, and makes these peoples case against him look pretty lame. He takes dogs that are in that state, and shows them another happier way to behave, and he does tell people its not an instant 'cure' for the dog, but something THEY then go and work with on their own behaviour.

I have followed his advice on getting my very fearful dog, out of the house, and to stop being afraid of many things, in fact it was a clue on his programme that showed me how to be able to walk my dog with others. I have also taken advice from other behaviourists in the flesh, regards my dog, and how I should help him, as this is what a sensible person would do, not just watch telly and expect a solution. Some of the behaviourists i have spoken to have not been right for me either, its about tailoring all the advice you can find, to your dog to find a solution that works for you.

My point anyway is that he has his way of doing things, it makes 'interesting' telly, but people should make their own mind up about things, not try and copy what they see him do, as, logically, they don't have the experience and are likely to harm their dog if they do. The programme does tell people to seek help from a proffessional and not to copy the techniques. The problem is that there are idiots out there in the world who will, disregard his advice about getting off their arse and walking their dog, and will go straight to the bit about poking it for 'bad' behaviour.

The programme is irritating in the extreme to watch if you haven't watched it yet. It has a deep booming voice-over guy, and is set up to show the dog at its worst and then a happy outcome. Cesar Milan himself is a bit of a smarmy bugger, and is trying quite hard to be 'cool' or whatever, its not an easy programme for me to watch as i hate telly in general and don't own one, as it makes me cross. It is made for idiots tv, and people should recognise this and take it with a pinch of salt. There are good bits and bad bits, but accusing him of animal cruelty is a bit off. I really hope that people that claim this are aware of the real animal cruelty going on in the world on a huge scale, and have taken steps to avoid doing any of this themselves by not eating meat, eggs and dairy.

Also, I've seen victoria stillwell tell a family to kill their bitey little cocker spaniel, and they did! Everyone thinks she is lovely!

any enough from me, another rant eh? I'm sorry, i get cross when people use untruths to explain their otherwise probably quite valid views about something, it doesn't help a discussion.

He works only with agressive dogs and generally his techniques do not and should not be used with general pet dogs.

The problem I have is that his way of doing things is so involved that it is impossible to get it all across in one show, so they show the highlights.

The problems come when people try and use his techniques without understanding why, hows, wheres etc.

No doubt he has some sucess with what he does but he should not be on mainstream TV in my opinion.

I do not agree with his techniques and feel there are better ways of going about things than he does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back