The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Camping With A Whippet

mamaroo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I'm a newbee to the site and I just want to say what a brilliant site it is.

I'm just browsing this site at present I'd love a pup right now but I work long hours and would have little time for him (dog free home at present). I need to sort my life out first!! So I'm spending all my time finding out as much as I can so I know he will be happy when i do get him.

Anyway one question I have if anyone could help is on camping. We love camping as a family but for at least the last five years the nights have been pretty cold and the last two years have been also very wet. I have read up how whippets like their warmth and comfort - would camping be a no no for a whippet. I have looked on the camping supplies websites and there have little campbeds that keep them off the ground and sleeping bags so a combination of a crate, sleeping bag and been kept of the ground may work? The other thing I thought of was - does anyone leave their dog in the car overnight (driver windows slightly open for ventilation without draught? but might be warmer tent. If camping would suit a whippet we would need to invest in a bigger tent - which is fine.

Does anyone camp with their whippet and if so what does your’s like.

Thanks

Ann

You can rest assured if you camp with a whippet, you will not need a bigger tent, but maybe a bigger sleeping bag, because it'll be in there with you :thumbsup:

Can be a bit of a security risk leaving a whippet in a car, they are very stealable creatures, and they crave human company even more than they crave warmth I think.

Welcome to k9 :D

We had a greyhound who loved camping on the moors and when we took Sidney he was happy as along as he was in my sleeping bag :p Ben has it easier as we now have a camper and then both love that though I now have to sleep with 2 whippies :- :-

Don't worry about the whippet, he will as warm as toast wrapped around your feet :lol: You can also get him a nice little kennel coat for the colder nights.

All whippets like the creature comforts bed sofa, if you don't mind this I'm sure a whippet will be just for you. :D They are fantastic little dogs :thumbsup:

Good luck in your search when the time is right.

Welcome to K9 :thumbsup:

Lots of whippets go on camping holidays with their humans so it shouldn't

be a problem! As Meddling said, whippets don't really need their own

bed because they greatest requirement is to be close to you and that means

sharing your sleeping bag / bed :lol: :lol:

Be prepared to keep your whippet on a lead pretty much all of the time when

in a strange place, though, especially when they are young.

It is too much of a risk to let them off with strange sights and smells around as

their recall can be less than perfect :eek:

Good luck when you get your first whippie :thumbsup: :luck: :luck:

If they are not diving in the sleeping bag first, you can buy them sleeping coats, there are plenty on the market for you to choose from, when you need to make that decision of course.

Thanks for all your advice, I know just the spot for him now - in between me and OH in our sleeping area. Only problem is if OH doesn't want to share - not sure OH will fit in the dog crate in the car!! Might have to get a pup tent for him :-

Thanks for all your advice, I know just the spot for him now - in between me and OH in our sleeping area. Only problem is if OH doesn't want to share - not sure OH will fit in the dog crate in the car!! Might have to get a pup tent for him :-
welcome to k9 :thumbsup:

sounds like your getting the idea......whippet in the bed......OH out the bed :teehee:

ours just loved camping....all those comfy sleeping bags to get lost in, she kept me warm at night and was very reluctant to get out of her pit !! Get one of those metal corkscrew things that you can tie a long lead on when you are around the tent area so they don't go off investigating and if you can find a campsite near the beach it's whippet heaven, Shell Island is ideal :thumbsup:

"... she kept me warm at night and was very reluctant to get out of her pit !! "

Haha just liked reading this bit of local dialect - we are in Widnes where ''get out of your pit'' is the haunting phrase of parents to sleepy teenagers..! Don't really hear it much elsewhere, unless other people are better at waking up than we are so don't need it. :lol:

Welcome :thumbsup: there are lots of camping whippets on here...........

BarmouthHendreMynachsite.jpg

And plenty of fleece advice to keep them warm ;)

hi there,

personally i wouldnt leave ur dog in the car as i find it gets colder than the tent, dana gets in my sleeping bag with me and the warmth of a dog really warms the night up lol...until she farts then there is no escape lol. if in doubt get it some jammies there are always some fab ones for sale in the market place.

and dont forget lots and lots of pics please

Hi and welcome

I would not even consider going camping without our Whippets. They are a joy to have around and camping would just not be the same without them.

Our two make their own beds mostly in my ribs. The older one grew up on a boat which is much like camping but not as cold.

If you are looking at getting a dog and will be leaving it outside I believe a Whippet would not be a good choice. Whippets have been bred to be lean and short coated so they need our care when it gets cold.

Camping is all about freedom but some care is needed with Whippets off lead. Sighthounds are known to get somewhat absorbed in the hunt if they get wind of anything so you will need to know your Whippet well and have a very strong bond with him before he's allowed to run free.

Good luck with your research and if a Whippet is not for you I hope you decide on a breed that best suits your lifestyle.

Graeme

Hi
I'm a newbee to the site and I just want to say what a brilliant site it is.

I'm just browsing this site at present I'd love a pup right now but I work long hours and would have little time for him (dog free home at present). I need to sort my life out first!! So I'm spending all my time finding out as much as I can so I know he will be happy when i do get him.

Anyway one question I have if anyone could help is on camping. We love camping as a family but for at least the last five years the nights have been pretty cold and the last two years have been also very wet. I have read up how whippets like their warmth and comfort - would camping be a no no for a whippet. I have looked on the camping supplies websites and there have little campbeds that keep them off the ground and sleeping bags so a combination of a crate, sleeping bag and been kept of the ground may work? The other thing I thought of was - does anyone leave their dog in the car overnight (driver windows slightly open for ventilation without draught? but might be warmer tent. If camping would suit a whippet we would need to invest in a bigger tent - which is fine.

Does anyone camp with their whippet and if so what does your’s like.

Thanks

Hi there and welcome to K9

Just to say that I camp with my two whippets, on and off for most weekends during the summer. They wear fleece jumpers at night for warmth, and yes! you will probably find them in your sleeping bag with you by morning. As long as they are warm they'll be fine. I personally would'nt leave them in the car overnight, just for security and peace of mind. I also feel they would be more cosy in the tent with you ;) A word of warning though :teehee: I find that in the morning I need to have collars and leads on both my girls as when I unzip the tent they exit as if out of a starting trap (w00t) and if i'm not careful I end up dragged accros the field like Benny Hill ! :luck: and enjoy yourselves!

Ann

welcome to k9 :thumbsup:

sounds like your getting the idea......whippet in the bed......OH out the bed :teehee:

It's the way it has to be :-

OH will protest for a bit but then see this is just how life has to be .... a woman and her whippet... like two peas in a pod :p :-

Welcome to K9 BTW

I've gone camping with whippets a few times. They would be very good for keeping me warm except that they want to climb in the sleeping bag with me and that opens up the zip. So keeping them in a crate covered by a tent (and with a cushioned bed on the bottom) might be a better idea. As you can't leave the dogs off lead (except when you take them to relatively safe areas for supervised runs), I sometimes kept them in the daytime in a crate covered by a kiddy play tent to keep out the wind and rain.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back