The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Can Anyone Identify This Plant?

gilliwigs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just in case there is someone out there who knows about flowers and didn't notice my question included in another post I thought I'd post it separately. Muffin & Jonah just love this and I would love to know what it is. :unsure: They don't seem to suffer any ill effects from it but it's obviously really tasty, to the extent that they fight over bits of it! :wacko: There is now hardly any plant left which is a shame as it's a pretty one. :( Hope someone can help.

20070429_0182.jpg

Looks the same doesn't it. I love that its supposed to be inedible....Not to whippets obviously :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
bardmand said:
That's definitely it! :thumbsup: Thanks, I knew someone here would know what it was. :) I notice that although it's inedible it's also use for medicinal purposes in Central Europe - next question is, I wonder what for! :D Perhaps the whippets can tell me but it obviously tastes lovely. :- "

Mmmmm,i used to have loads of that in my garden,until the whippets ate it all (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're commonly known as sea holly?

bardmand said:
Funny, we have loads of them here, but my whippets have never shown any interest in them.
Found some information about their medicinal use: http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Centaurea+montana

They have a very faint, but very lovely fragrance.

I keep finding sites that say cornflower is poisonous to dogs which makes me worried :sweating: but other sites seem to suggest there is no danger. I suppose each variety is different and not neccesarily fatal even if slightly toxic. They certainly were OK yesterday after eating quite a bit. :)

alfyn said:
I think they're commonly known as sea holly?
I'm not too sure about that as when I was trying to find out what the plant was I thought it might be sea holly but I think that has holly-like leaves and this one hasn't. :thumbsup:

bardmand said:
Funny, we have loads of them here, but my whippets have never shown any interest in them.
Found some information about their medicinal use: http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Centaurea+montana

It says in the information that it attracts wildlife...maybe that should be changed to "and Whippets" (w00t) (w00t) Also interesting to note that it has a purgative effect on the body..I wonder if this is why the Whippets are attracted to it?? And whilst on the subject of Whippets eating plants,do any of yours eat that sticky velcro weed....I have no idea of it's name but it is just like velcro if you touch it.Mine all love eating it and graze on it constantly. :wacko:

05whippet said:
bardmand said:

It says in the information that it attracts wildlife...maybe that should be changed to "and Whippets" (w00t) (w00t) Also interesting to note that it has a purgative effect on the body..I wonder if this is why the Whippets are attracted to it?? And whilst on the subject of Whippets eating plants,do any of yours eat that sticky velcro weed....I have no idea of it's name but it is just like velcro if you touch it.Mine all love eating it and graze on it constantly. :wacko:

It's goose grass,but commonly called sticky bud,& yes,mine love that as well :thumbsup:

alfyn said:
05whippet said:
bardmand said:

It's goose grass,but commonly called sticky bud,& yes,mine love that as well :thumbsup:

Our last whippet used to like that. Muffin & Jonah don't bother, although saying that, I don't think there's much of it round here anyway! :lol: Jonah has enjoyed the grape hyacinths though. :) My next concern will be the 3 laburnum trees we have in the garden as the seeds of those are poisonous. Muffin didn't touch it last year but I've a feeling Jonah might - that will be very difficult keeping him away from that if he does. :sweating:

alfyn said:
05whippet said:
bardmand said:

Thankyou Debs :thumbsup: ..........you are very informative you know!! :D :D

Errrrmmm, No actually, I haven't :lol:

Our dogs love it too but they don't smoke it either.

alfyn said:
05whippet said:
bardmand said:

Ours to they love it :thumbsup:

We have cornflowers in the garden but they are not flowering yet. The dogs don't bother with it at all, they much prefer the ornamental grasses which should be waving gently in the wind but are kept closely cropped by the dogs :angry:

The sticky velcro stuff is also known as cleavers & has a very cleansing effect on the body, gets rid of internal parasites etc :)

Mine are loving the wild garlic in the woods at the moment too.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back