The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Can mites make my puppy bite me?

LilLuna

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My puppy has started growling (not play growling, proper growling) when I pick her up sometimes, and earlier today tried to bite my face when I did. Then she yelped in pain when I did. Our last trip to the vets she was given a preliminary diagnosis of mites, but can't have any treatment for another 2 weeks because of the timing of her last spot-on treatment. Over the past couple of days she's been growling sometimes when she's picked up, but not all the time. She's an absolutely lovely dog and I'm wondering if it's simply discomfort because she's in pain/irritated?

A change of behaviour resulting in a bite could well indicate pain and her yelp does reinforce that theory. I can't imagine it being from mites though, but others may know more than me about whether that is possible. I'd suggest a vet check. Also are you supporting her properly when you lift her (supporting her weight at her back legs)?

Maybe she doesn't want picked up so much? We've had pups like this who don't like being fussed with.

Yes, a check up first to rule out any discomfort. I would not think that mites, unless the skin has been made sore from scratching, would cause the behaviour.

Next, think about how you are picking her up. If you scoop up suddenly it can be very disconcerting! Try giving a signal that you are about to lift her up and do it very slowly. Try sitting on the floor and doing little lifts and reward them.

Dogs need to learn to see the world from down low if they are to cope when they grow up. So many small breeds are scared of the world, when expected to view it from street level as an adult, after they were constantly picked up as puppies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back