The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Can You Believe This?!!!!!!!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I can't help agreeing that the person on the end of the phone who advised about the dogs wasn't a police officer, but someone in an admin call centre set up to deal with initial calls from the public. Seems to be the way these things are dealt with these days. It's not uncommon with most of the emergency services now.
I would think, then, that the person who gave the ridiculous advice to leave the dogs running on the main road, SHOULD be reported, so that re-training can be given to that member of civilian staff.

It is in the police force's interest, because staff such as that woman are the first point of contact for many people, and if callers are given a poor impression of the police force then she should be taught how to do her job properly.

A couple of years ago I reported yobs throwing fireworks in the street, at about 5.30 pm, in the little town where I live. I was pretty clued-up on the law regarding the discharge of fireworks in a public place, because every year I join in with petitions to ban the sale of fireworks to the general public.

Anyway, I reported the above to the local police number ... I knew a crime was being committed, but the girl who answered the phone did not realise it was a criminal offence ... initially she suggested that I phone my local council the next day. I read out to her, all the information (police-generated, I had to say!!) regarding the law, and she put me thru to someone else.

The long and the short of it was, a police van did come out to collar these idiots who were still chucking fireworks around, but my point is this - had I not known how the law stood, I would just have gone away and left it. It's something I feel strongly about because I don't want fireworks thrown at my dogs, one of them definitely could not cope with it (and neither could I).

I don't expect every civilian police worker to know every law inside and out, but surely basic relevant training could be given, so that a) they give better support to the police, b) they give better help to the public, and c) they don't give a poor impression to the public. So, in the approach to Bonfire Night (or Firework months, as it now seems to be :( ) civilian support staff on the front line should be reminded/made aware of the law regarding fireworks. etc etc.

However, telling someone to leave 3 dogs running loose on a busy main road, just seems to be inviting carnage.

We were at a motorway service station one Sunday afternoon about 4 years ago, in the Barnsley area, and a dog had jumped out of a car - the teenage lad trying to catch her looked absolutely stricken. There was no way this dog (called Megan, I remember it very clearly) was going to allow herself to be caught, and she ended up running on to the motorway, where she crossed 6 lanes of traffic to the far side of the motorway. I called the police (999) and I'm sure many others must have phoned them too .. and they came out straight away, let's face it, it doesn't take much imagination to think of the accidents a dog running loose on the busy road could cause, people swerving to avoid it etc etc.

Sadly I don't think the dog was ever caught, and I have often wondered what happened in the end.

Gill

although i cannot comment on the care of the dogs once in police custody i can agree that the police are in no way any help when it comes to dog problems, we have two rottwiellers next door to us who have chewed through the fence on four seperate occasions killed numerous family pets as my daughter breeds and shows cavy's and also 6 pet rabbits.. and us only narrowly escaping their teeth as we got back indoors... the police have been out and taken statements from us and two other neighbours but to no avail, nothing as been done to support us in any way we now have to be very cautious every time we go into the garden or let our pup whippets out because their dogs are still allowed to run lose in their garden unattended, the owner laughs at us and knows the police wont do anything to stop this, i know this is a different case to the one in question on here but it does show how uninterested the police are in any dog matters.... :(

any suggestions or advice would be very helpful.

diane

lou14 said:
although i cannot comment on the care of the dogs once in police custody i can agree that the police are in no way any help when it comes to dog problems, we have two rottwiellers next door to us who have chewed through the fence on four seperate occasions killed numerous family pets as my daughter breeds and shows cavy's and also 6 pet rabbits.. and us only narrowly escaping their teeth as we got back indoors... the police have been out and taken statements from us and two other neighbours but to no avail, nothing as been done to support us in any way we now have to be very cautious every time we go into the garden or let our pup whippets out because their dogs are still allowed to run lose in their garden unattended, the owner laughs at us and knows the police wont do anything to stop this, i know this is a different case to the one in question on here but it does show how uninterested the police are in any dog matters.... :( any suggestions or advice would be very helpful.

diane

Unfortunately(for you) the law of this country states' it is up to you to keep animals out of your land' but also 'that dogs should be under owners control!' so you are between a rock and a hard place if the police CHOOSE to do nothing like so many of the forces accross GB :rant:

lou14 said:
although i cannot comment on the care of the dogs once in police custody i can agree that the police are in no way any help when it comes to dog problems, we have two rottwiellers next door to us who have chewed through the fence on four seperate occasions killed numerous family pets as my daughter breeds and shows cavy's and also 6 pet rabbits.. and us only narrowly escaping their teeth as we got back indoors... the police have been out and taken statements from us and two other neighbours but to no avail, nothing as been done to support us in any way we now have to be very cautious every time we go into the garden or let our pup whippets out because their dogs are still allowed to run lose in their garden unattended, the owner laughs at us and knows the police wont do anything to stop this, i know this is a different case to the one in question on here but it does show how uninterested the police are in any dog matters.... :( any suggestions or advice would be very helpful.

diane

thanks for your comments roedeane yes we know that is true and we have tried to keep them out for the safety of our kids aswell as the pets but we have got concrete posts, gravel boards with 6ft panels, making it 7ft in all and they still get through, that would mean having gravel boards all the way up making it look like a fortress instead of a garden that a family should be able to enjoy. surely if it is his dogs it should be up to him to keep his dogs out of other people's properties. however if we was to retaliate we would look to be the bad ones instead of him that stands there laughing everytime it happens but that's the laws in this country, very frustrating :rant:

diane & tom

how about getting a gun and doing a bit of target practice in your garden.wonder if hed be smiling then? :- " :oops:

thanks for your comments roedeane yes we know that is true and we have tried to keep them out for the safety of our kids aswell as the pets but we have got concrete posts, gravel boards with 6ft panels, making it 7ft in all and they still get through, that would mean having gravel boards all the way up making it look like a fortress instead of a garden that a family should be able to enjoy. surely if it is his dogs it should be up to him to keep his dogs out of other people's properties. however if we was to retaliate we would look to be the bad ones instead of him that stands there laughing everytime it happens but that's the laws in this country, very frustrating :rant:

diane & tom

I agree with you whole heartedly - these dogs are OUT OF CONTROL so the police have the law on their side(if they wanted to) to do something about it, but I suspect that as the dogs are out of control in a 'private place' they are not bothered :rant: You should not have to make your garden a fortress just to keep his dogs out :rant: I despair of our police forces - they do nothing for the average law abiding citizen, yet we have to pay their wages in council tax! :rant:

years ago when the dangerous dog act was first enforced a dog (pit bull type)was arrested by a constable for being dangerously out of control in a public place.the dogs name was otis(its a very famous case this)and the owner had removed his muzzle while he was inside the car as it was a hot day and the dog was panting and distressed.if a car can be denoted a public place why not a garden?especially as its not the owner of the dogs garden when he intrudes onto your property. :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back