The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

canine hayfever help!!!

Cash_Dolly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have posted before about my 6 year old whippet and his hayfever which results in a lot of sneezing and reverse sneezing.

We have had 3 trips to the vet - initially I was told to keep him inside in the middle of the day which I do.  on the second visit I was told to give him piriton which I do and seems to help however first thing in the morning as soon as he wakes he is sneezing repeatedly.  I can only presume its because the piriton has worn off overnight?

The other day he sneezed and green/white mucus was flying out.  this of course concerned me so I took him to the vet for a third time to be sure it wasn't something more sinister.  The vet is confident it was only caused by hayfever.  he is otherwise fine - no temperature, eating, running playing no other concerns and therefore it is doubtful it is an infection of any kind or something stuck in his nose (apparently that would cause a lump and she tested to be sure he was breathing fine out both nostrils)

This morning he woke up, had his usual sneezing fit and out flew more of the mucus only there was blood in it.  of course this worried me.  As it was a one of though I am wondering if it is just caused by irritation from all his sneezing so I am the mindset of not calling the vet just now and if it happens again then I will make an appointment.  Does anyone else have a dog with allergies and has this happened to them?  I gave him some loxycom (which the vet gave me initially the first time I visited) ad have continued with his anti histimines but is there anything else I can do for him?

I'd really appreciate any advice or even similar experiences

He maybe has just burst a little vessel - you know like when we get a nosebleed after sneezing a lot too?

That is what I am hoping as I have read about that happening with excessive sneezing.  I'll keep an eye on it........this little odg causes me so much worry....not that I would change him!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back