The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Canine Hydrotherapy

davyh123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi i run hydrotherapy facility in lanarkshire and am doing a bit of research in the canine community.

I would like to know whats the general consensus towards hydrotherapy?

Is it somthing you have used before or would like to use but dont know any local facilities?

What would you consider value for money per session for hydrotherapy?(i've seen prices range from £12 to £25)

Just a couple of questions to get the ball rolling

Any feed back will be greatly appriciated or if you have any questions for me feel free to post them

You can see my facilities at www.loaganville.co.uk (my website is not the finished article yet, work in progress)

Thanks for reading

David

great facilities similar to the one I use Teasledown at Leyland near Preston they charge £15 per session assisted or £10 without the assistant if you book a block you get discount :luck:

by the way youve spelt your website wrong :oops: got on by going in www.loganville.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hydrotherapy is great,we've used our local facility today,block booking £5 per dog including use of spa.We all muck in,so I suppose you could include our shower too (w00t) :lol:

I USE ONE BY ME 16 POUND A DOG THINK ITS GREAT :thumbsup:

Looks like a nice set up you have :thumbsup: Me & Jacqui keep dreaming up ways of having our own.

We also swim at Teazledown like Linda, the pool is 22' x 13' and floor level rather than raised and with no jets which we prefer. All ours are at the stage where they will swim freely and will either follow us round the pool or retrieve toys back and forth. They absolutely love it, the noise that comes from the van as the gang wait for their turn is shocking, then each of them pull to get into the pool room.

You also have the option of using the bath/shower & the hair dryer and there's an infra red heat lamp over the drying table.

We block book every week for 1 1/2hrs and swim 11 dogs ourselves for £40.

We just use it as another form of exercise but most of all because they all enjoy it so much. The only dog i've used it post injury on was a 7 month old pup with a ruptured ligament, he wasn't allowed off lead for 3 months so swimming kept the leg mobilised and maintained the muscle.

Miles cheating

25100_384584630955_711130955_3696839_3596684_n.jpg

Miles

25100_384584535955_711130955_3696825_2941055_n.jpg

Violet

25100_384584620955_711130955_3696837_8182562_n.jpg

Jarvis

25100_384584610955_711130955_3696835_7611549_n.jpg

Jude

25100_384584520955_711130955_3696823_156735_n.jpg

Jenny

25100_384584475955_711130955_3696817_3910936_n.jpg

Dobber

25100_384584505955_711130955_3696821_6417072_n.jpg

& my fave pic

10627_130233260955_711130955_2407563_7836651_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Teazledown gets my vote anyday. :thumbsup: Anne's book gets filled up very quickly and I'm not surprised as it's a great place.

Dobber had a disastrous encounter with one hydrotherapy pool to which I predominantly blame the owner, far too pushy with my lad and distressed him so much he was scared of water for a while after. This place is literally 5 mins drive from me but I prefer to drive up to Preston because it's so much better.

While we do have unsupervised sessions, I have to say both Anne and Graham have 'dog sense' and are very good at motivating and rewarding the dogs. Dobber practically flings himself at either of them when he sees them which is a good enough sign for me.

I prefer pools that are heated so the water has a lower visocity and the fit dogs work harder whilst the elderly arthritic dog finds it more comfortable. I personally prefer non-motion pools as I find the dogs enjoy the whole experience a lot more and a dog that's enjoying what it's doing can usually let you know when it's had enough too. If I'm honest, I have to say I don't like the dogs being pushed or pulled in the water as this was what distressed mine. I appreciate it might be essential for some but I think owner feedback is paramount in these situations.

Big supply of toys and a jar of treats incase owners forget any - me and Vicky have a few that will sulk like buggery if they don't get these! (w00t)

I think if you can tick the boxes on the above you'll have no end of custom. Price wise for me, the more reasonable it is the more frequent I'll go and I'm more likely to bring more dogs with me that enjoy themselves than those that I wish to just get fit.

By the way, where did you get your pool from? Is it from the online k9 hydrotherapy company? (Someone distract Tony from this thread!!) :-

I use the hydrotherapy near me in Leicester the dogs love it and I also block book and I get it cheaper or pay £12.00 per session and it's two minutes down the road from me

When we had georges choice we swam the dogs at greyound place in carluck,,,after changes to ngrc,,,we could not use the pool,,I would have loved a place like this,,there is one in Shotts,,but your vet needs to send you to it,,think its about £20 or more for half an hour,,we never went,,to deer for us,,,,if my dogs need swimming,,I will book them there,,just down the road from us,,,if not asking a fortune,,,they be there twice a week,,swimming the best for all running dogs,,but at the beech its free,,nice beeches here in LuCKERS AND AYR,,,so think this chap should think about his price,,get folk useing it,,then go for top rate in a few yrs time,,I love to swim the dogs,,but with Ricky,,Robbie and Leo,,,Guess When,,Guess Who and Vivs Destiny,,they all won champs,,opens etc with just Luckers sea,,in Fife,,as ngrc would not let us swim our whippets at the greyhound swimming areas,,,your idea will get dog owners for broken bones etc,,but you could have a nice daily venue if you let racing dogs use it,,say 2 times a week for half you ask for vet venue,,maybe a discount for say over 3 dogs,,you will have scotland and and the north of england using you,,,they tell other racing pals,,your on a winner,,,,you cant lose as your central,,on the m8,,,you should look after who will use it for years,,not just vets,,,running dog folk will use it a lot,,from someone who is in scotland,,hope this helps you

Guess im lucky here,in that my boys go to the river with me.Which is just a 5 minute walk.Apair of body waders on,and they just follow me up the river.As said.Its a great way of keeping an injured dog fit.The racing dogs get no more than 2/3 minutes swiming,against a slight current,and boy do they enjoy a good sprint around the field,soon as they get out the water.Wont be long now,till i start taking them down there.As the water is beginning to heat up.With this great sunny weather.

Guess im lucky here,in that my boys go to the river with me.Which is just a 5 minute walk.Apair of body waders on,and they just follow me up the river.As said.Its a great way of keeping an injured dog fit.The racing dogs get no more than 2/3 minutes swiming,against a slight current,and boy do they enjoy a good sprint around the field,soon as they get out the water.Wont be long now,till i start taking them down there.As the water is beginning to heat up.With this great sunny weather.
YOU CANT BEAT THAT MATE :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replys some intresting input!

school boy error on my part weathergirl www.loganville.co.uk :thumbsup:

The pool was originally set up by my dad so im unsure of were it was bought

Alot of my custom when i started out 2 years ago was greyound racers around 90%, although the greyhound flapping scene around lanarkshire has died down, through word of mouth i started expanding and swimming more of a range of dog breeds to the point my client base is now made up of only around 20% greyhounds

Have any of the whippet owners ever had an issue with a dog that is reluctant to kick his or her back legs? I only have experience with lurchers and greyhounds while lurchers tend to be powerhouses in the water and really swim hard, greyhounds can become a bit laxidasical and only work there front legs wich for a racing dog is not ideal as all the dogs power is generated in the hind legs.(just asking because this issue really splits opinion in the greyhound community)

The case seems to be people are just looking for an honest service at an honest price wich i hope i can provide

think whippets are a bit more hyper than greyhounds and most of them seem to love it

i have a 30lb whippet and he wont move hes back legs if i let go of him he sinks but me other 3 dogs are ok

Our Harvey is lazy in the water,just swims with is front legs,if there's no jets on

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back