The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cannot stop diarrhoea

Aljo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

We have a (just under) 2 year old springer cross collie. She has suffered with this problem for most of her life. She has normal bowel movements but these are then shortly followed by very small amounts of very soft diarrhoea.

She is otherwise very healthy although when we first had her at two months old she had a terrible worm problem which took a month to clear up (with veterinary help). We have tried everything the vet has suggested including probiotics and have also tried all the leading brands of food but to no avail.

The vet has suggested its a large intestine problem which may need to be investigated further with a biopsy.

However, before that it would be useful to know if anyone has had a similar experience and could share any ideas?

Have you ever considered using raw meat ?

May I suggest that you try adding meat with bone or changing completely from a kibble diet.

So many of our canine friends are having problems with their diets these days and the wheat / grain based kibbles are much to blame. (this is not a normal/natural product for our dogs to eat although many can and do manage perfectly well.

Dogs are designed to eat meat, just look at their teeth, they also scavange too and survive!

Chicken mince that includes bone, and green tripe (phew it stinks ! ). These are very gentle for a canine tummy to digest and may well help and save a fortune on future vets bills!

There are many good pet stores that supply frozen meat these days and the freeflow packets are usefull as you only take as much as you need for each feed and it thaws quickly, no mess either.

I would suggest that as you have had this problem from puppyhood that you introduce your meat over a period of a few days and at the same time reduce the ammount of kibble.

Of course over feeding a dog can lead to diarrhoea too, is there just any chance that you are feeding too much!!

Good luck, keep us informed.

If feeding raw is not for you, and it is much easier now that so many manufacturers are out there, then take a look at Gentle dog food.

Several of my dogs, over the years, have produced a runny poo after exercise in the evening. I have taken this to mean that the bowel is nearly empty and the exercise has pushed out a stool that should have stayed in to harden up. The other possibility is that the dog's body temperature has gone up due to the exercise?? Because all else was normal I just left it, but then we do exercise across fields and they usually do this runny poo on the farmers crops where I leave to fertilize. Not so easy if we are on footpaths.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back