The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Car crate or boot divider ?

Newbie10

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
How do you all transport your dog in the car ?

Can anyone offer any advice on good makes of car crates or alternatively, estate car boot dividers ?

Thank you :)

Bax loathes confined spaces and also gets really bad car anxiety. he still hates cares but hes happiest in the front seat with the seat belt clipped in (turns off airbag so its safe for him) and his harness clipped to the seatbelt. he sits on the seat and dozes while we drive. hes close to me, not confined, and its mostly safe.

I also have a front seat rider although his restraint system is one that Heath Robinson would be proud of as none of the commercial ones work.

If he's in my OH's car then he has a seat belt attachment for his harness which goes into the seat belt holster. He'd hate being crated in the boot space and he's safer in the car proper as boot areas are now crumple zones.

Rox also has a seatbelt in the back seat attached to her harness, but mainly because my boot is too small! I wish she was as calm as Bax, but she spends the time crying from excitement and looking through the windows!
If I had a bigger boot and a small dog I would put it in the boot in a crate and if I had bigger boot and a bigger dog I would put it in the boot with a divider I think.

My thoughts are the same as Caro Perry, the boots on cars are designed to crumple in an accident so I don't like the idea of Folly being in there. She rides on the back seat with a Bergan Harness securely attached. Thats in my 'normal' car in my fun two seater she is secured on the front seat.

My terrier just hops in to the back of the van. If lurchers or long dogs are coming on board then the Lintran boxes come out. The dogs love them in summer because they each have a 12v fan in the boxes to keep them cool.

Rox also has a seatbelt in the back seat attached to her harness, but mainly because my boot is too small! I wish she was as calm as Bax, but she spends the time crying from excitement and looking through the windows!
If I had a bigger boot and a small dog I would put it in the boot in a crate and if I had bigger boot and a bigger dog I would put it in the boot with a divider I think.

dont let it fool you. he gets really bad anxiety and used to vomit mid ride. now he just sits and trembles and is a totaly WRECK when we stop.

We have Murphy in the back with a dog guard .. Not the best solution but with our car the best one we could arrange.
DSCN2585.JPG

Thank you all for your replies.

I'd love to have doggo in the main car but with my two kids occupying the back seat in car seats, it doesn't leave much room for the dog to lay when we are all out together

Having thought about it and this morning having a woman using her phone while driving along behind us in a 70km zone then texting as she pulled away from traffic lights has made us take action ..Murphy will be taking up residence on the back seat with a seat extender and a doggy seat belt... He is just too precious to risk being hurt or killed because some idiot cant put their damn phone down whilst driving.

We put her in the boot on long journeys but usually she’s in the back seat or sometimes in the front (with her seatbelt) :)
3CA2CB79-A16C-44EA-93A1-EA9D56152A90.jpeg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back