The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Car travel

Sockspop

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi guys this is my first post so I'll introduce myself. I'm Sophie and have a 10 year old Labrador X gsd named Bella ❤️.

I drive a 4x4 and Bella has always travelled in the boot of any cars safely, however recently she won't even attempt to jump in and I am unable to pick her up when husband is not here. We are lucky as our house backs on to woods so for day to day walks we go there. We bought a ramp but she will not go up it I think it's because literally my car is so high.
Bella is able to get into the back seats so I'm looking for recommendations on how to make this safe. Any harness's or carriers that would be suitable for a larger dog (she is 35kg).

Thanks Sophie

Have you tried training her to use the ramp? You would start off with it flat on the ground, away from the car, and teach her to walk along it as a 'trick'. Then raise one end up a few inches with a brick, rinse and repeat... and so on. I've never done this, but I'm sure there's guides on the internet.

My dog travels on the back seat of our car. He has old rolled-up dog beds stuffed in the footwells so he doesn't fall into them if we do an emergency stop, and we have a dog barrier in between the backs of the front seats, like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-BARRIER-INTERIOR-ESTATE-HATCHBACK/dp/B00S3Y1VW6 It's not the safest option - for that you'd probably want him clipped in with a harness - but we don't tend to drive far at all so we're happy with it.

Hi thanks for your reply yes we have tried training her she is fine with a slight incline but when it goes as high as my boot she starts to shake. If no other option I'll continue to try with ramp but in my opinion it's not worth it I don't want her to be getting in an upset state.

That's a good idea about the footwells, I don't think I'd need a barrier as she doesn't try and jump she does sit still on the back seats just want her safe thanks again and merry Christmas x

Merry Christmas to you too! We didn't have the barrier for several years but one day he got upset while on the back seat (because we had a bootful of raw dog food which doesn't even make sense but he's a funny dog) and he tried to join us in the front...:eek:

But another couple of reasons for considering a guard are (1) I think it's illegal to have a dog unrestrained in the car, and the guard will count as 'constrained' and (2) if you're in a bad accident the dog won't get flung in between the front seats and through the windscreen, possibly taking you out en route.

You can also get 'dog hammocks' which save the need to fill the footwells: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHINE-HAI-...id=1545399400&sr=8-3&keywords=dog+hammock+car Though personally I'd choose one that I can see my dog and feed him treats through (he's not a great traveller but if he will take treats I know he's not too stressed).

We use a dog hammock in the big car (in mine he has to ride in the front seat and it took me a long time to get a restraint system that actually worked. No commercial ones did and I ended up devising and making my own)

The hammock only stops him falling down the footwell so we use a universal doggy seatbelt clipped to his usual harness which fits into the usual seat belt fittings. It is great as it is so easy to transfer between cars. He has enough freedom to move around and sit/stand/lie but can't go far!

Its rule 57 in the highway code travelling with an unrestrained dog eg not behind a dog guard or without a harness etc ..it can actually affect your insurance if you have an accident ...

When she was in the boot she was restrained as no way she could get into the main body of the car. As she can't go in there I'm looking for ways of restraint her safely, I don't want to use a gaurd so was looking at harness/belt recommendations, apologies if this was t made clear.

I would suggest going to local pet store if you can get her their, harnesses dont seem to fit like cloths would. We went through about 5 before we found one that fit.

We used to ride with our dogs in the hatch area but I wasnt happy about Murphy being back there in our new car as so we have a hammock (that protects the seats) and a footwell space filler on the back seat with a doggy seat belt that clips to his harness. It makes me feel a lot better and he is happy to lay down while we travel.

Is the ramp too steep/narrow? Is the surface unsuitable? You could try securely wrapping it in something like an old piece of carpet which might be more reassuring for a dog's feet. Just throwing ideas about which you may have already considered.

Thank you for all your replies unfortunately we lost Bella very suddenly on the 23rd December. She woke up in the morning and was struggling to mobilise, we took her to emergency vets and her bloods showed she was losing blood. A scan showed she had cancer of her spleen and bladder and that her spleen had ruptured causing her to have internal bleeding. Devestated is an understatement. Bella was beautiful and the best dog we could have ever hopes for.

I'm so sorry. RIP Bella xx

Very sorry for your loss, this is so hard..

oh how awful so sorry for your loss RIP Bella

I'm so so sorry for your loss @Sockspop :(:( thinking of you x

Thank you everyone xx
IMG_20190104_110905_136.jpg

Beautiful girl. Pictures brought tears to my eyes, it must be awfully hard not to have her around. But she is watching over you from another place now, like she used to from that sofa.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back