The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Career Change Advice

Kym Dare

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice from those of you who work with dogs - in any capacity.

My father died at the end of last year from Pancreatic cancer, it was a huge shock to the system for me and he hadn't long retired. It got me seriously thinking about life, and ultimately how short it is.

I have always had dogs, and always loved working with them. My life outside of work completely revolves around them and my house is full of books on behaviour, training history and more!

I have also volunteered at various different charities in my spare time, and now I have decided I would like to change careers (I am a secondary school teacher).

I *think* I would like to pursue a career in canine behaviour, and have been looking at some courses I could potentially take, but really I would like to jump the education ship now and work/learn on the job, I don't mind starting from the bottom and working my way up - just as long as I can pay the mortgage!

I would really appreciate any advice you could give me, on courses, ways in which I could potentially make my CV more attractive to get an entry job or just any general thoughts. If there is anyone in S.Wales who would like to offer more local advice that too would be greatly appreciated, and I would love to get a coffee with you to pick your brains!

Thank you very much

My view, and it's just an opinion, is that it's best to go for a qualification that is from one of the good organisations like the APBC or COAPE. The sad thing is that it's an unregulated profession and anyone can set themselves up as a behaviourist (case in point, certain tv programmes). But the well recognised organisations at least ask for certain standards which is a good thing.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back