The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cat Attack

Lisa S

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well I must say that I thought I had thought of every possible danger when walking my dog and couldn't get any more paranoid about what can happen when it did this morning! We were happily walking down a street and my dog was sniffing at a hedge as he does when suddenly 2 cats flew out of this hedge and went straight at him :wacko: my dog made a very strange noise sort of like a howl\cry and started to wriggle like mad to get away. I had to kick one of the cats to get it away and it shot off and the other just stood there as bold as brass spitting - in the meantime my dog slipped his collar and took off down the street towards one of the busiest roads in town - I screamed at him and thank god he stopped and I was able to walk slowly towards him and get him back into his collar and lead.

I am stunned and it would be quite funny if my dog had not been so frightened and slipped his collar - I have never known of cats attacking when unprovoked as we didn't even know they were behind the hedge!

Now I need to watch out for flaming cat attacks as well as everything else but I will properly kick its arse if it tries it again!

what a shock for you both

cats are a pain where i live to(always having go at dogs)

hope your both feeling better

what a good lad for stopping

think they now by the panic in your voice

gentle :huggles: :huggles:

Not as strange as it sounds...cats can be really weird with dogs...my 3 are all ok with my dogs...and wouldnt fly at strangers...

but there are a few in our village which will cheekily run out from under cars and have a go at the dogs... :wacko:

suppose its a defence mechanism....or getting the first one in... :clown:

blimey that must have been really scary for you :( I always had a fear of my 2 slipping their collars so I always use martingales now, much safer :thumbsup:

Funny thing is that I have just bought him a new collar but I wasn't in when the postman delivered yesterday so I picked it up today after our walk. It's gorgeous and hopefully he cannot slip this one - better not be able to as I paid a fortune for it from hide and collars but well worth the money I hope!

What an awful experience for you. Glad your dog stopped when you called. :thumbsup:

Funny thing is that I have just bought him a new collar but I wasn't in when the postman delivered yesterday so I picked it up today after our walk. It's gorgeous and hopefully he cannot slip this one - better not be able to as I paid a fortune for it from hide and collars but well worth the money I hope!
Any photos of your dog in the new collar. I am thinking about buying new leather collars and leads, and I keep looking at the Hide and Collars site - they are so gorgeous and look really well made. :wub: :wub:

I had never heard of cats attacking dogs unprovoked before either, but last week a man in the street was saying his cat has attacked all the dogs in the street, buts its never done so to Penny and thats one of the only cats she will happily walk past without making a fuss - very strange!

So glad that your boy is ok and stopped running when you shouted on him :huggles:

Here are some photos of my brave boy in his new collar for Sarah - can he be the only whippet in the world that runs away from cats :wacko:

The last photo shows him rolling in cow poo in his new collar first time out :clown:

DSC00359_small.JPG

DSC00355_small.JPG

DSC00360_small.JPG

A cat we had was very defensive when she had kittens. Any dog coming near the gate was dicing with death!!!!!!!!! She would drop on their backs which made them take off until she fell off. Most dog walkers and loose dogs would cross the road rather than risk her wrath. She attacked the paper girl once, mind you she was running across the garden so that she could sling nextdoor's paper into their porch, which she knew was wrong.

So cats can be unpredictable.

A cat we had was very defensive when she had kittens. Any dog coming near the gate was dicing with death!!!!!!!!! She would drop on their backs which made them take off until she fell off. Most dog walkers and loose dogs would cross the road rather than risk her wrath. She attacked the paper girl once, mind you she was running across the garden so that she could sling nextdoor's paper into their porch, which she knew was wrong.So cats can be unpredictable.
Good god I had no idea that cats can be so feisty - that is v funny about your cat dropping onto her victim's backs until she fell off :blink: I thought it was a freaky unusual occurrence but obviously not and the 2 cats I came across probably terrorise the street as well (w00t) but I'll be ready next time!

We bought a beauty from Hide and Collars Lisa, it cost a fortune and was indeed well made but within a few months Snoops had chewed it so we now use martingales, much cheaper! ;)

Can't believe the 2 cats jumping out at you - incredible! (w00t)

Here are some photos of my brave boy in his new collar for Sarah - can he be the only whippet in the world that runs away from cats :wacko:
The last photo shows him rolling in cow poo in his new collar first time out :clown:
Sorry, I missed your post before. Thanks for the photos of the new collar. It is so gorgeous and really suits him. Does he wear it all the time, or just when out walking?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just love those collars from Hide and Collars....Absolutely stunning... :wub:

Tegan Bandit and Owen all had collars made for them from hide and collars when they were young all 3 are still going strong. That was 7 years ago.

Sorry, I missed your post before. Thanks for the photos of the new collar. It is so gorgeous and really suits him. Does he wear it all the time, or just when out walking?
He only wears it when out walking as he does not wear a collar indoors as they tend to rub his neck. It is very very well made with lovely soft leather lining and I think it will last for years unless the cow poo rots it first :angry: how ungrateful can you get! They are quite expensive and I did have to wait about 5 weeks as the lady is very busy but hopefully it will be worth the money. He has had lots of comments about how smart he looks :wub:

Lisa

It's kitten season at the moment and momma cats are very territorial this time of year. One of my previous cats would attack anything the walked in front of our property while she was nursing her kittens. She was a bit :wacko:

My 2 boys live with a 3 legged cat (!!) and are all fine. They all give each other space.

However, one morning we too were chased down the street by a big angry Ginger cat.

Totally unprovoked. We were just walking past it's front garden.

It's funny now thinking of the way the 3 of us got chased. But I've never seen that in a cat before. Reading these posts it seems to happen a lot!

We walked past some hedges yesterday, I wasn't really paying attention when I felt a tug on the lead, looked down and saw a ginger cat arched and Alfie glaring at it.. Then looked at Alfie who had blood trickling down his muzzle! The cat had got him!

It's so weird this thread he's never been attacked by a cat before!

I just love those collars from Hide and Collars....Absolutely stunning... :wub:
They are gorgeous - Grace has had one since she was big enough for a 'grown up' collar - but I do find them rather stiff and wondered if it was uncomfortable for her. Are they all that rigid or do they make some softer ones? I recently bought her a lovely soft one from Exmoor Lurchers and the leather got ripped by a branch in the wood second time out with it. Think we need a happy medium!

Well I must say that I thought I had thought of every possible danger when walking my dog and couldn't get any more paranoid about what can happen when it did this morning! We were happily walking down a street and my dog was sniffing at a hedge as he does when suddenly 2 cats flew out of this hedge and went straight at him :wacko: my dog made a very strange noise sort of like a howl\cry and started to wriggle like mad to get away. I had to kick one of the cats to get it away and it shot off and the other just stood there as bold as brass spitting - in the meantime my dog slipped his collar and took off down the street towards one of the busiest roads in town - I screamed at him and thank god he stopped and I was able to walk slowly towards him and get him back into his collar and lead.
I am stunned and it would be quite funny if my dog had not been so frightened and slipped his collar - I have never known of cats attacking when unprovoked as we didn't even know they were behind the hedge!

Now I need to watch out for flaming cat attacks as well as everything else but I will properly kick its arse if it tries it again!
Sorry about your nasty experience and the collar not being up to the job.

When I was teaching at a boarding school in Sussex, by brown Burmese [cat] wouldn`t allow ANY dog into the main school building.

She and my Siamese would also ambush the Bursar`s spaniel if it went anywhere near my room. The Bursar had to carry his dog into the school house in order to get past the cat patrol.

Most of my present cats actually like the wippets and you can see a video to prove it at:

www.gavintasker.multiply.com

Dandy, black whippy, was trained by Grand Premier Bundook Bally Reena, when he was a pup and has obviously told Magic to respect the felines, who are top animals in our house - until the Ferret Speck comes indoors!

Your whippy just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Gavin.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back