The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Change of behaviour - old dog stealing food

Pugmummy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi. I have a 9 year old female lab that I rescued just over 4 years ago. In the last few months there have been a few disruptions to her life. I got her in a pair but the other one died earlier this year. We also rescued an older male lab about a year ago and he died a few weeks ago. We have also recently got a new pug puppy.

So now it is her and the pug and they get on fine.

In the last week or so she has started stealing food from the kitchen counters. She has taken a bunch of bananas but didn't eat them, a loaf of bread and did eat it, a tub of butter etc. This is completely new behaviour, she has never done this before.

I have not had the chance to catch her yet and have read some things about trying to catch her and scare her to stop her doing it, which I will try. I have not changed her food routine, she gets the same food at the same time as she always has.

I am interested to know why she has suddenly started doing this? Is it because of all the disruption and loss? Could she have worms that are making her more hungry than usual?

Any insight would be gratefully received.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back