The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Changed odd behaviour

lynyona

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Not posted for a while but Betty my staffy pug x as been showing odd behaviour. She as started constantly licking and snapping into the air. She will spin around on her bottom and she will whine until someone rubs her back end. Someone suggested it could be anxiety or attention seeking if we are ignoring her . I was originally thinking blocked anal gland but the spinning around is the only thing she as that matches those symptoms she s not licking or gnawing at her back end. I have been all day trying to get through to the vets i ll have to try again tomorrow. In 2021i had to take her to the vets to have her checked out for anal gland problems but she was that traumatised by the vet trying to mizzle her as she wasn't happy to examine her without. Had to give up as a bad job the vet gave me some tablets to calm her and go back the following week Same thing happened again they said they couldn't do anything unless she was muzzled and suggested that i get one before i brought her back. The problem seemed to remedy itself so didn't have the need to go back. I have since gotten her 2 different muzzles recently and i have watched all the videos on muzzle training etc but as soon as she see s them she runs a mile. I am sure she remembers the trauma at the vets. I do not know i am going to get the vet to see her without one .Any advice would be gratefully received Thank you

In the long term, for muzzle training... what if you simply left a muzzle in the room she was in? You could then work on her simply being comfortable being near it without you handling it. Then you could pick it up, give her a treat and put it down. Even put treats on it but don't hold it, so she's not worried you'll try to stick it on her. In time she may see the muzzle as a positive thing, and by absolute baby steps, you might get her to be comfortable in one. But I'm guessing this would take a long time (and you might never get there as trauma can be very deep-seated).

Would you be able to check her anal glands yourself? I'm sure there's plenty of videos online. The big question is whether you (and/or anyone who helps you by feeding her treats) would be at risk of being bitten yourself - you might have a feeling for whether this is a risk.

Could your vet suggest a stronger sedative? It's not ideal, but sometimes we just have to get the job done.

Have you tried natural peanut butter smeared on the inside of the front of the muzzle to encourage your dog to put her nose into the muzzle always rewarding her when she does ? It's one way of started to a climatise her to wearing a muzzle. Basket muzzles are the best type IMHO.

Could you try to take a photo of her anal gland area to show the vet ? Just a thought

On a positive note I tried a process of elimination before a vets visit..I wormed betty and gave her flee treatment i have also cut down on the treats she was getting always fell fowl of those sad eyes and few sterner words I am pleased to report she is the dog she once was no more scooting or whining .I really must persevere with muzzle training though in the event of ever needing it. Thank you for all your advice

That is good news :) Take the muzzle training veeeeeery slow - whatever stage you're at, even if it's 'comfortable when there is a muzzle visible somewhere in the room', always stick there for a few days before moving on to 'pick up muzzle and put it down again'. It's better for it to take weeks on end than push further than she's ready for, in which case you might never get there.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back