The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Check This Out

I really like the look of Wildhare distant thunder, it's just like my bitch Vixen.. It's a shame they don't so owt like this in this country... Most of the show whippets are shown carrying alot of condition in the UK and some judges don't like a whippet with muscle tone.. Silly IMO as surely they should at least look capable of doing what they were bred for..

I don't bother showing at KC shows anymore as it's too corrupt, alot of the results are already known before the show takes place.. Judges giving it to there friends for the use of there stud dog etc etc...IMO the people who do this should be struck off from judging for life, it's just unfair to all the people who have paid there hard earned cash to enter there dogs.

I've seen bad judging at a couple of shows, at one i was told which dog was going to win before the show had even started!!!!. Another i was at the 1st 2nd and 3rd were lined up and the 1st could have been mistaken for a Lurcher!!!. But thats they way it is over here too many politics for me

I just show my dogs in the whippet classes at gamefairs etc, at least the judges know what a dog looks like in good working condition and you don't get told not to walk your dog as it has too much muscle (like you get told by the judge at kc shows lol)....

I'm glad you like Thunder - thats my boy - we were both showing and coursing at the same time -

working on his conformation and field championships at the same time so he had to be in shape

to avoid injury - Thunder is a "substantial" boy at 22.5 inches and running weight of 48 lbs -

we do have a list of judges we dont show to - and by the same token we have a list of

those that we would travel afar (500 or more miles) for - and we know that judges "do favors"

and for me I sorta like to get in on the politics - its sorta like "if your gonna play the game

you gotta play the whole game thing" - and thats how we treat the shows - Lure coursing is

different - you keep them in condition - take them to the line and turn 'em loose at the tally-ho -

then its up to them - the dogs do it all themselves till the "retreive your hounds" and they

really enjoy just chasing the plastic - come back all smiles and panting happily -

dwight

I'm glad you like Thunder - thats my boy - we were both showing and coursing at the same time -working on his conformation and field championships at the same time so he had to be in shape

to avoid injury - Thunder is a "substantial" boy at 22.5 inches and running weight of 48 lbs -

we do have a list of judges we dont show to - and by the same token we have a list of

those that we would travel afar (500 or more miles) for - and we know that judges "do favors"

and for me I sorta like to get in on the politics - its sorta like "if your gonna play the game

you gotta play the whole game thing" - and thats how we treat the shows - Lure coursing is

different - you keep them in condition - take them to the line and turn 'em loose at the tally-ho -

then its up to them - the dogs do it all themselves till the "retreive your hounds" and they

really enjoy just chasing the plastic - come back all smiles and panting happily -

dwight
He's a big lad then isn't he. a little too big for my taste. Although i have been told whippets are a little bigger in the US. My friend Paul Sagar has judged a few coursing meetings over there and he says there some size.

Whenever i've judged at working whippet and lurcher shows i always judge the dog and not the owner and the best dog wins simple as that. Just how it should be IMO. It's not fair on the other competitors if a judge chooses a dog as a favour to the owner.

My favourite would have to be Coconut Cream Pie (Dottie) :wub:

I don't normally go for the predominantly white or parti-colours, but she is gorgeous!! :))

DC DIABLESSE VENDOME SAYS SURREYHILL FCH for me :) But in blue for preference :lol: I do like my dilutes !

I'm glad you like Thunder - thats my boy - we were both showing and coursing at the same time -working on his conformation and field championships at the same time so he had to be in shape

dwight
He's a big lad then isn't he. a little too big for my taste. Although i have been told whippets are a little bigger in the US. My friend Paul Sagar has judged a few coursing meetings over there and he says there some size.

Whenever i've judged at working whippet and lurcher shows i always judge the dog and not the owner and the best dog wins simple as that. Just how it should be IMO. It's not fair on the other competitors if a judge chooses a dog as a favour to the owner.
Thunder is a bit bigger than the average here - most of the males are in the 21 to 22 inches and 30 to 40 lbs -

we had to pick the judges that we knew wouldnt mind "size" with him - you would probably like his littersister

(little Flame) that is quite petite and weighs in at a whopping 26 lbs in running weight - fast little gal she is also -

dwight

DC DIABLESSE VENDOME SAYS SURREYHILL FCH for me :) But in blue for preference :lol: I do like my dilutes !
Thank you! Vendome is my co-owned dog and mostly lives with me. Dwight told me he posted his link over here. He worked very hard getting together the photos and dogs of the e-tribute. I have another one I really hope finishes before the end of the year. He just lacks one first placement and is nationally-ranked under both coursing systems.

A lot of the show people over here support both AKC and ASFA lure coursing and run the show dogs concurrently with their showing careers. I do think our dogs are shown here with a little less weight on them that what I see in most of the UK photos. It's really not a problem in our rings unless you have genetically bunchy muscle, which is incorrect by the standard. Vendome ran and showed alternate weeks as we campaigned her to her titles this year.

Our coursing trials are quite different, of course. We don't run eliminations like you do, and we usually run in groups of three not two, and they are tricked out in all sorts of sparkly blankets. But I think the scoring is done on a similar criteria.

Bye now from Vendome...and I like dilutes, too! One of our best lure coursers is a solid blue brindle, and half-Bluestreak.

vendomejrrwa.jpg

Thank you! Vendome is my co-owned dog and mostly lives with me. Dwight told me he posted his link over here. He worked very hard getting together the photos and dogs of the e-tribute. I have another one I really hope finishes before the end of the year. He just lacks one first placement and is nationally-ranked under both coursing systems.

A lot of the show people over here support both AKC and ASFA lure coursing and run the show dogs concurrently with their showing careers. I do think our dogs are shown here with a little less weight on them that what I see in most of the UK photos. It's really not a problem in our rings unless you have genetically bunchy muscle, which is incorrect by the standard. Vendome ran and showed alternate weeks as we campaigned her to her titles this year.

Our coursing trials are quite different, of course. We don't run eliminations like you do, and we usually run in groups of three not two, and they are tricked out in all sorts of sparkly blankets. But I think the scoring is done on a similar criteria.

Bye now from Vendome...and I like dilutes, too! One of our best lure coursers is a solid blue brindle, and half-Bluestreak.

vendomejrrwa.jpg
She is gorgeous :wub: I would be really interested to see more photo's if you have them :)

Finn, the blue in my signature, is my lurecoursing dog, and we have high hopes for Taran, our Quick Slip pup. Unfortunately though, as I'm sure you know, the opportunity to become a champion lure courser is essentially non-existent here.

She is gorgeous :wub: I would be really interested to see more photo's if you have them :)
Finn, the blue in my signature, is my lurecoursing dog, and we have high hopes for Taran, our Quick Slip pup. Unfortunately though, as I'm sure you know, the opportunity to become a champion lure courser is essentially non-existent here.

Finn is a beautiful color! Good luck with your pup. I don't check this site often but I do enjoy the coursing photos from events that are put on here by lampy and others. I will look for your crew in the results.

Here are a few head shots of Vendome:

vendomead.jpg

As busy as Vendome has been with showing, racing, and coursing, she has found time to start a new career as a jewelry model for some of my craft:

princessp.jpg

So far, she's been one of my most successful models as the stuff I put on her pale fawn and white throat tends to sell first. I may have to give her a raise!

She might be a mudbug on the weekends, but she cleans up nice.

Karen Lee

Finn is a beautiful color! Good luck with your pup. I don't check this site often but I do enjoy the coursing photos from events that are put on here by lampy and others. I will look for your crew in the results.

Here are a few head shots of Vendome:

vendomead.jpg

As busy as Vendome has been with showing, racing, and coursing, she has found time to start a new career as a jewelry model for some of my craft:

princessp.jpg

So far, she's been one of my most successful models as the stuff I put on her pale fawn and white throat tends to sell first. I may have to give her a raise!

She might be a mudbug on the weekends, but she cleans up nice.

Karen Lee

Here are a few albums of lurecoursing photo's that i took back in April

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/MallyfieldPh...ippetClubFile1#

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/MallyfieldPh...ippetClubFile2#

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/MallyfieldPh...ippetClubFile3#

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/MallyfieldPh...ippetClubFile4#

Nice photos! I particularly like this one:

IMG_1432.JPG

The brindle parti in the prize winning photos in the fourth album certainly looks like it could be shown with success. It seems to have the right topline and isn't over-muscled. Some of the others it's just a little hard to tell because it was obviously a cold day and the owners aren't stacking them in anything close enough to a show pose, but they seem to be very typical Whippets to my eye. Condition may be a factor in the ring as some of you have said, but I think the lure coursing dogs over there seem to have pretty good breed type, which is nice to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back