The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Chemotherapy .....

Strike Whippets

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Has anyone ever had a dog go through chemotherapy ?? ....If so what were the side effects please ?? ...Cheers in advance Hannah :)

Yes, my friend has had two Cocker Spaniels (litter brother & sister coincidentally for the same type of tumour) go through chemo. The bitch's tumour was not as aggressive and the chemo 'seems' to have worked. The dog was quite ill with vomiting/lethargy during the chemo and he had to have several sessions. Unfortunately, she lost him a couple of weeks ago with an infection because the chemo had so ravaged his immune system, he just could not cope so, in effect, the treatment and not the illness actually killed him in the end.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and, now knowing what my friend and her dogs have gone through, I do not think I would put a dog through having chemo, for the same reason that I would not have large tumours operated on, i.e. it seems to aggravate the cancer and you end up losing the dog quicker than a 'do nothing' approach. I would opt for palliative care only every time.

I have not had to deal with putting a dog through chemo. When Reggie first got ill, before he was properley diagnosed, there was the possibility that he may have had a form of leukaemia. I decided that there would be no way I would put him through that kind of treatment. His problem was immune-related and we were able to treat it with steroids.

Obviously, that is just my view, but I think it's too much to ask of any dog.

Louise

Thankyou ladies :thumbsup: ......I am in 2 minds at the mo ......Miya's is immune related but the steroids after 3 years are now the problem ......She has a blood disorder that if not treated correctly will result in her getting leukaemia ....so now her liver is damaged through the steroids and yes with out steroids she'll end up with leukaemia .....talk about going round in circles :wacko: ..... :cheers: Hannah .....

The thing is that dogs cannot tell us how bad they really feel. Chemo kills or damages all rapidly growing cells, not only the cancerous ones, that is why it makes the patient ill. I have had chemo decade ago and I would not want to put anybody through it. I certainly would not even consider chemo for older dog.

I do not know how long is the chemo treatment for dogs, if it is similar as for humans = 6-7 months, that is an awful long time from dog's life.

Strike Whippets said:
Thankyou ladies  :thumbsup: ......I am in 2 minds at the mo ......Miya's is immune related but the steroids after 3 years are now the problem ......She has a blood disorder that if not treated correctly will result in her getting leukaemia ....so now her liver is damaged through the steroids and yes with out steroids she'll end up with leukaemia .....talk about going round in circles  :wacko: .....  :cheers:   Hannah .....
sorry to hear this hannah , you will do whats right whatever that may be :huggles:

I'm really sorry to hear that you're faced with this decision, Hannah :(

I have no advice to offer but the deciding factor in every treatment option for both human or animal is normally based on whether the benefit of the treatment will outweigh the risk of it?

I tend to think that quality of life is the most important measure rather than length of life :)

Sending you and Miya lots of :huggles: :huggles: and :luck: :luck:

Jane x

Seraphina said:
The thing is that dogs cannot tell us how bad they really feel.  Chemo kills or damages all rapidly growing cells, not only the cancerous ones, that is why it makes the patient ill.  I have had chemo decade ago and I would not want to put anybody through it.  I certainly would not even consider chemo for older dog.I do not know how long is the chemo treatment for dogs, if it is similar as for humans = 6-7 months, that is an awful long time from dog's life.

STORMYS dog has been having chemo for a year now. no ill effects !

hannah im sure john has contacted you already....GO FOR IT !! :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back