The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Chewing And Biting Through Leads

Sarahwatkin

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

Our almost 3 year old springer x staffie keeps biting though leads. We've had him for 9 months and he wasn't very well trained beforehand. He gets so excited when we go for a walk, it is like a nightmare. It takes me 5 minutes to get the lead on with him jumping up and down everywhere making me go round in circles while he tries to get hold of the lead. I have been working on this for a few weeks and he is getting better. He can now sit when I put the lead on if I give him a treat but he still tried to bite the lead as we are leaving. I have try anti chew spray on the lead but that doesn't help. I am currently using a halit lead to stop him pullin while I train him to walk properly (this is working....) and a chain lead in case he bites through the halti lead. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Sarah

The answer is chain leads and training so it sounds like you're doing it pretty much already.

The lead doesn't get put on unless you're sitting down and calm.

The door doesn't get opened until you're sitting down and calm.

You don't go through the door together, you wait for me to go through and then walk through behind me.

If he's part springer then he's a lot more intelligent and trainable than most staffy crosses so he'll get the message with some confidence and consistency. When he bounces your arms fold and you turn your back on him until he gets a grip of himself and that happens every time he gets a bit over the top. No telling off, just standing waiting for him to work out what you're waiting for him to do.

Keep at it :)

Thanks. I like to use the halti lead as he has always pulled really badly although he walk a bit with loose lead now - I think I've had 6 in 9 months although I do go out with them half chewed and about to snap as I have the chain on as back up. He does chew the chain too - his poor teeth!

I do keep trying the waiting thing until he calms down but he seems to start barking and not stop then I start to feel bad for the neightbours at 6am!!I will try turning my back next time to see what he does.

After reading the dog whisperer book, I have learnt about letting me go first and that seems to be helping a lot. It's amazing what a bit of knowledge and a few tweaks in behaviour can achieve.

Another thing which may help... the first thing the rescue I fostered for did with any staffy they had in was to switch to a low protein diet. If you are feeding dried food, look for 18%. 24% is high

This usually results in a much calmer dog almost overnight

Hi it might be worth checking the ingredients of his food as many complete diets are full of "E" numbers- colours, flavours, preservatives that can cause hyperactivity in dogs (like kids and smarties!!)

Bakers in particular is full of them, as are most foods which are coloured to make them look appealing to us humans. Just a thought :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Our almost 3 year old springer x staffie keeps biting though leads. We've had him for 9 months and he wasn't very well trained beforehand. He gets so excited when we go for a walk, it is like a nightmare. It takes me 5 minutes to get the lead on with him jumping up and down everywhere making me go round in circles while he tries to get hold of the lead. I have been working on this for a few weeks and he is getting better. He can now sit when I put the lead on if I give him a treat but he still tried to bite the lead as we are leaving. I have try anti chew spray on the lead but that doesn't help. I am currently using a halit lead to stop him pullin while I train him to walk properly (this is working....) and a chain lead in case he bites through the halti lead. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Sarah
Hi, you need to help the dog learn impulse control. This can be done as you are doing ie making access to everything the dog wants contingent on calm behaviour ie all 4 feet on the floor.

http://www.cleverdogcompany.com/tl_files/factsheets/Jumping%20up.pdf

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/44

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001b/jumping.htm

Does your dog jump all over people when he meets them? Are your friends reluctant to visit? Do you wish that your dog would be calm and polite when people arrive?

Just imagine that you can take your dog to the pub, or to visit in someone else’s home and he will settle down quietly while you chat with friends. With Sarah’s methods, your dog can become a model citizen with this easy-to-follow training session.

Including:

• Why dogs jump up at some people and not at others

• Strategies to enlist your family and friends to help with your dog’s training

• One easy rule to prevent jumping up

• How to teach your dog to settle calmly no matter what else is going on

Teaching your dog to be calm and sensible when visitors arrive is on the wish list of many dog owners, and it’s simple to achieve with Sarah’s advice and practical strategies.

The pack contains: A clicker, tab handle, training manual, instructional DVD: 55 mins approx running time including Bonus trick, Bonus Training Session, Intro to Clicker Training, Q & A with Sarah.

http://www.dogtrain.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=82&osCsid=lmtat3qo6fo2ivvkjdj7apev02

In addition you can put something highly unpalatable on the lead such as Vicks vapo rub, mustard etc. A chain lead is also good. Another method of increasing your dog's impulse control is to have two leads so that you can practice taking one on and off whilst the dog is still attached via another one.

As for diet, it is not the protein content itself per se that is a problem only if your dog is having too much fuel for the amount of exercise it is having. Also remember that not ALL E numbers are bad. ;) Having said that a food that contains as few unecessary additives as possible is better for all round health.

SBTs are eminently trainable with many being very successful in Agility, Flyball as well as having qualifications in Working Trials and some working C only in Obedience! Not to mention one recently making it as a police sniffer dog etc. So do not allow anyone to pigeon hole you.

Good luck.

You've had some great advice. I would second the 'chain' lead recommendation. Personally I don't like them, but while you are working on the problem it may help break the habit then you can switch back.

Does he just bite at it or does he want to 'carry' it. Our first dog liked to bite at and carry the lead, so we put a stronger round nylon piece between the end of the lead and her collar and she was able to carry that.

If it's carrying you could potentially redirect the behaviour to a toy.

Best of luck

Wendy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back