The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Chihuahua family behaviour issues

Stephen_chi_zeus

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi there

I would really appreciate your help with some problems we have been having lately with our family of Chi's.

We have three chi's - Mum (8 years old), Dad (5 years old) and their baby (3 years old, female).

Mum and baby have gotten on perfectly fine for the last 3 years notwithstanding the odd quarrel, which I'm led to believe is common between bitch relations.

However, over the last few months we have had to keep them totally separated due to the severity of their fighting. One fight saw blood drawn from the baby (albeit it was only a tiny cut) and as soon as they catch sight of each other there is very aggressive growling, snarling and they would go for each other given the opportunity. In truth I think they would really hurt each other if they got the chance.

The whole thing has put our house completely out of routine as we can't let them out to the toilet together, play together or sit with us on the sofa. We can't even put them to their beds at the same time any more.

There is no problem whatsoever with the male who stays completely out of it and pretty much runs at the first hint of trouble - he is completely submissive with both females.

It's hard to be certain, but the behavioural changes do seem to coincide with Coronavirus lockdown, with my partner and I both being at home 24/7 for the last 4 months instead of being out at work. There were some fights at the start, but it has gradually gotten worse and worse to the extend that we simply can't leave them together.

We're wondering is there a power play going on between the females. We recently introduced muzzles to see how they would get on (with the safety of knowing they couldn't hurt each other) and it ended up with mum effectively pinned down with baby sitting on top of her. Hard to watch if I'm honest.

There also seems to be a correlation between one of the girls getting attention from myself or my partner and the other dog not, and the trouble starting.

We're really concerned now that the two girls might never be able to share a room again and we'd welcome any thoughts anyone might have as to action we could take.

Thanks,
Stephen

Have you had your male castrated by any chance?

I was just wondering if he had been done a little more recently than that, and that the "pack" had lost their leader. But obviously not.

Are the girls neutered? ????.......
Muzzles may make the situation worst ...as you say one still managed to hurt the other .....sadly once some siblings or mother and daughter reach a certain age they just dont always get along ...my neighbour kept a bitch from her JRT she too had mum and dad at home and i think she was about 3 or 4 started to fight .....sadly she rehomed the pup ....

We have 7 entire females, ranging from 2.5 years and 10 years, mothers and daughters and grandmothers too. We are the pack leaders!

First off (so difficult at this time) older female should have a full vet check including bloods. Often this kind of situation is due to illness making one dog "weak" in the eyes of another.

When bitches start to fight, they don't stop until one is dead, so you are wise in your precautions. It's either managing as you do, or rehoming one of them. It won't get better, sadly, and up to you which option you take.

This is nothing you have done "wrong". It's the nature of the beast.

I agree with Hemlock, once two bitches fall out and start real fighting the only way to stop it is to keep them apart. I know many times females are kept together in perfect harmony but if they take a dislike to each other then they will fight hard. I've never heard of this problem with males, if they scrap once one is accepted as the top then its over. With male / female then in general their is no fighting, most times the male lets the female have her way.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back