The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Child bitten by a guard dog

Sheila Robinson

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
my daughter was bitten by a guard dog yesterday, the bite broke the skin & she is now on antibiotics. We were on a livery yard where we keep our horses, my daughter (she didn’t know the dog was there) went in to the garden to drop the tack room keys off at the house (as required).

Unfortunately the guard dog was in the garden and proceeded to bite my daughter twice. The owner neither called the dog back or told it off for the incident. She did say sorry but the underlining attitude was that my daughter should not have gone in the garden.

This is the second time the dog has bitten my daughter, the last time the dog was running around on the yard. I will be going back to the yard this morning, I’m not sure what to say to her when I go? Any advice?

Were you advised that access, to drop the keys off, was via the garden? Presumably the yard is a 'public' area.
Check whether or not your daughter, did anything to deliberately antagonise the dog.
The owner does have a duty of care whilst people are on her property. It's worrying she did nothing to control her dog.
Has it bitten anyone else visiting the stables?
How old is your daughter?

As a first step I would discuss it with the owner, in order to get their side of the story.

I agree with the above. If clients are required to return keys, the dog should be elsewhere. This link to the Dangerous Dogs Act is very clear

Controlling your dog in public

Even on private land where people should not be crossing (i realise that may not be the case with your daughter anyway) the dog fits the criteria of being "dangerously out of control".

You have a strong case for demanding the dog should be restrained at the very least.

I assume you want to keep using the yard. If so, firmly explaining that the dog's behaviour is unacceptable and you wish it to be restrained in future would be the first step. If the owner does not agree you could move on to say that unless the dog is restrained you will either take your business elsewhere, report it to the police, or both.

Were you advised that access, to drop the keys off, was via the garden? Presumably the yard is a 'public' area.
Check whether or not your daughter, did anything to deliberately antagonise the dog.
The owner does have a duty of care whilst people are on her property. It's worrying she did nothing to control her dog.
Has it bitten anyone else visiting the stables?
How old is your daughter?

As a first step I would discuss it with the owner, in order to get their side of the story.

Thank you - yes last person on the yard has to drop the keys off - I’ve had a talk this morning with the owner & she was extremely apologetic.

I agree with the above. If clients are required to return keys, the dog should be elsewhere. This link to the Dangerous Dogs Act is very clear

Even on private land where people should not be crossing (i realise that may not be the case with your daughter anyway) the dog fits the criteria of being "dangerously out of control".

You have a strong case for demanding the dog should be restrained at the very least.

I assume you want to keep using the yard. If so, firmly explaining that the dog's behaviour is unacceptable and you wish it to be restrained in future would be the first step. If the owner does not agree you could move on to say that unless the dog is restrained you will either take your business elsewhere, report it to the police, or both.

thank you - we have agreed a new arrangement for the keys,

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back