The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Children Walking Dogs

affieluver

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i had to post this as after my walk today this has been playing on my mind

i was over the grounds at the university today where i came across a young girl walking a rather boisterous x breed possibly a staffie cross although i couldnt be sure and she was being dragged from pillar to post

to be fair he wasnt aggressive just mad he came bounding over to angel who at the best of times can be a little mare`and just wanted to play but it got me thinking so i asked her how old she was and she was only 10 and had been left to walk the dog on a park that can be quiet busy with dog walkers

anyway when i eventually got away i became quiet cross not at the poor girl who was doing her best to control her rather boisterous dog but her parents:rant:

i mean anything could have happened to her or her dog if she met one not so friendly not only that she could have been dragged straight into the road

is there a legal age for a child to be in charge of a dog? and if something was to happen to either her or my dog where would you stand this really has bothered me and just felt desperatly sorry for her and the dog as he was a sweet little chap i just hope they got home ok

You're right, Kel. I see lots of young children walking dogs around towns when I am out at work, especially during half term week.

I think the parents see the dogs as items to amuse the child with and they see the child as an unpaid dog-sitter :(

Must say, I have never heard of any limit on age, or indeed physical strength, when walking a dog. There are also an awful lot of women and elderly people walking dogs which they could never hold onto in a month of Sundays if the dog decided to leg it :eek:

Alot of potential accidents waiting to happen :blink:

There is a kid down the road from me who is no more that 6 and walks a SBT on his own if it sees another dog it pulls so hard he lets go. It also used to s**t on my front lawn and although he had a bag couldn't pick up as the dog dragged him down the road. I bashed on the window and it hasn't happened again.

There is also a large cross bred (Mastiff x Boxer) by the look of it that drags the owner everywhere, she is an adult about my age but walks it in a harness! Don't people realise that the chest is what dogs use to pull?!

i have no idea kelly..........i dont let Betsy walk Gypsy and she's very good on the lead (gypsy not betsy ;) )

i worry what would happen if another dog became a problem or if gypo saw a cat :blink:

Liberty walks her but shes 16 :thumbsup:

Lots of young kids walking dogs here too...its quite annoying...

My son is 15 and Ive only just starting letting him take my dogs out...with his friends tagging along...

Ibe be too scared anything happened. :(

I don't let adults walk my dog's let alone kids (w00t)

That's me though, but mainly why i am like it is because of the way they are if they see a cat squirrel or anything that moves quick, they have had me over on my knees a few times :lol:

Clare

I was told the legal age for a child to walk a dog on their own is 16. :rolleyes: only a few more months then Ben can walk the dogs on his own :oops: he's bigger than me and most likely stronger but still legaly cannot walk the dogs with out me with him

We regularly see a young child walking an akita near were we live.

Last edited by a moderator:
god i wouldnt dream of letting the kids walk the dogs with out an adult their they wouldnt need to be at least 16 and of good common sence!!!

couldnt bare to think what might happen if the dogs were of the lead and attacked by another dog. what is a kid going to ba able to do???

even if they have total control over the dog they are walking they dont have controll over other people or there surroundings.

there definatly sould be a legal age for kids walking dogs imo

im glad im not the only one that thinks its totally unacceptable dont get me wrong i think a supervised child is fine i dont even let an adult walk my dogs never mind a child :unsure: i just hope she stays safe he was a lovely little dog :))

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back