The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cleaning the dogs teeth.

Jjohnd

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What is the best position for brushing a dogs teeth? Is a dog distressed the first few times of brushing?

I like to have my dog on a chair because it's easier for me. I do the teeth in the same order every time - outside right, outside left then 'open wide' and inside right then left. To get him used to it, you can start with a piece of loose weave cloth like cheesecloth over your finger and the toothpaste on that. Always use pet toothpaste - human toothpaste froths too much. Take it slow so he doesn't get distressed - you are working at the sharp end after all!

Last edited:
Joanne. Sorry for not replying earlier. I have noted your very helpful advice. We took Brooke to a groomer who recommended Hansepet cookies. After two weeks (one cookie per day), her teeth look good. This product plus tooth brushing should keep her healthy. Thanks for your helpful advice.

I don't know anything about that product, can you provide a link? I'm a little suspicious of any product called ”cookies” - it used to be thought that dry kibble was good for teeth because of the crunching but the carbohydrate sticks and is a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. If you want to use a product the absolute best I have found is braided ostrich tendon which is amazing but eye wateringly expensive. Paddywhack is also tendon and a fraction of the price.

I will find a link but the groomer is well respected in our area and as I said, her teeth are much cleaner. Just for information, she has eight rescue dogs! One keeps us occupied.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back