The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Clicker Training...?

llannon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I originally posted this in the whippet forum, but then thought it maybe more appropriate here...

One thing I can't work out (if someone knows the answer that would be great), when you are 'shaping a behaviour' do you have to click for that behaviour every single time you see your dog do it, or do you still stick to several short training sessions a day?

Also, I was going to pop out and get the Karen Pryor kit (seems to look the best)...but can't find any local shops that stock it (I'm near Llanelli in South Wales if anyone knows somewhere that stocks it???)...I guess I'll have to order it online and be patient :(

Or can anyone recommend a different clicker kit? I want one with a decent instruction book...lol

Many Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt, I think if you have your clicker about your person and you see your dog do the behaviour you are shaping, then yes, click immediately the dog has done it, and reward. Otherwise just stick to your several short sessions a day.

the Karen Pryor book is very interesting, quite involved but well worth reading and taking in.

Sorry I can't give any advice cos when I tried to clicker train Hebe, she was scared of the "click" so it didn't have the desired affect. What a Wooossss!!! :wub:

I'm almost pleased someone else had the same problem. Stan was scared of the click too, so I had to give it up, 'cos he kept running away. A big wus is a fairly accurate description of Stan too. :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
J.T. said:
Sorry I can't give any advice cos when I tried to clicker train Hebe, she was scared of the "click" so it didn't have the desired affect. What a Wooossss!!! :wub:
Have you tried the i-click? It has a softer click. You can also click it in your pocket or inside a sweater sleeve to soften it even further.

For those just starting to use a clicker, it might be a good idea to do so to familiarize the dog with the sound gradually.

Hiya,

Our dog trainer has a good clicker training book - I can send you her phone no and she may post one out to you.

I found it easier to go to a class than to do it from a book, it was more fun and then the instrctir can assess you and check that you are doing it properly and giving clear signals to the dog.

Yes, if you are shaping a new behaviour you can click and treat each time you see the behaviour you want,as well as doing the short training sessions.

Good luck. :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back