The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

CLUB OR OPEN RACING

mark fordingbridge

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
At fordingbridges agm we voted in a prize money handicap for the season as we are losing to many racers to the opens, frist £200 second £100 third £75 fourth £50 fifth £25. We would also like to see ghost clubs opens scraped but everyone must do the same for this to work. Do you think that there should be only major opens and champships to count for top ten as there are to many opens in the north. Our club is suffering to the open circuit, none of are club trophys were ran for this year first time ever. The clubs are the heart of racing.

people keep on forgetting if you lose your club you lose your open so i have allways suported the club racing we have lost peterlee track and lost two opens there and how many more club are going under due to opens dont forget no club no opens no matter how much money is put up :0

Good point Mark...we travelled to Warwick today, which we enjoyed...but we had one race (2nd to OB2) and really it was home time after that....280 round trip and 16 seconds of racing for our dog...no value in that is there? Still, it is nice to meet people from the regions, but we must have better value...don't you think?

Paul

club racing should be the back bone of whippet racing,without em there will be no open racing :(

:

D ;) NEIL DO THEY STILL HAVE GREYHOUND CLUB RACING LOL :w

GARY. :D

THE WHOLE OPEN RACE SYSTEM IS GEARED TO CLOSING CLUBS OR SHOULD I SAY THEY ARE THE NEW CLUBS. FOR SO LONG AS THE OPENS HAVE CONSOLATION RACEING, A.B.C.D,YEARLINGS,VETERANS IN OTHER WORDS EVERYTHING THEY CAN THINK OF TO DRAW DOGS AWAY FROM CLUBS THAT ARE NOT OPEN CLASS, CLUBS WILL CONTINUE TO CLOSE. THE OLD SAYING IS IF YOUR DOGS NOT OPEN CLASS THEN STAY AT HOME ie CLUB. I CAN HEAR THE SHOUTS NOW BUT WE HAVE NO CLUB :K-SERA OR WHAT WILL BE WILL BE. ''ANDY ''

IRG TREAT ALL THE RACERS THE SAME SONOFPORK,EVEN THE DOGS ;)

open racing is what it is 'open'. However, when you spend 30 quid in fuel, and all the other bits that add up, and you find you've had one run for near on £60 it is a lot of cash..and it does hurt...but we're encouraged to support the sport, I could feed my dog ten weeks with that kinda cash..not forgetting we have mortgages etc. to pay...

I gave up watching premiership football cos it was costing me £60 for a day out, bit I did get 90 minutes :) This is a smiley... ;)

Paul

paul you could always get a dog that keeps winning.

while your there can you get me one. :D

GARY. ;)

Thanks for that Gal, yeah I did notice Billy No Mates ran well at the weekend ;)

But, we'll be back.........

laters fella

Paul

u no how much it costs to go racing so if u need the money dont go simple really.

Yes, sonofpork, I do know how much it cost's to go racing...that's why I work my day off, do overtime, to pay me morgage, and all me living me costs to give me a bit of cash to travel and support racing and have an enjoyable day out...

and when, you're old enough to have the same commitments, come back on here and tell us how you afford it. Till then, have a little word with your parents, about how tough spreading money about can be...

I'll be polite, and say bye for now....

Paul

I wrote in the whippet news along the same lines a year ago. I think the top ten should be exactly like it says on the tin Ten Opens plus the championships to count

towards the top ten. This would give clubs a chance to open at least twice a month

meaning dogs that are not open class do not have to travel miles only to be well beat every week ! is it any wonder people are giving the sport up. I remember reading in whippet news about a great young dog running at Stevenage his name was Sing On, I read about him for months before I saw him at an open, I could not wait to see him run. I never saw him again for months, now I see biddy from Scotland more times in a season where is the excitment gone, the expectations about whos dog is the best, wheres the side bets that used to be common challenges with dogs from up north againt dogs from the south. Both camps convinced that they would win as 9 times out 0f 10 times they had never seen the other dog run. we must get back to club racing in order to survive.

This would mean less advets in the Whippet news meaning less money to whoever is running it, so prices would have to be increaced. before you all say forget that, look at how much you would have saved by not traveling the whole country for the last month. We would all benefit by clubs growing in strengh, less strain on the bank balance, but most of all it would bring back the unknown excitement that we have lost at present. I will end with I know how paul feels about the cost issues, its his first dog hes keen to see it run but at what cost !.

Posted by Scotty not Jade

Last edited by a moderator:
Open class, middle class- be careful Peter. ;)

In Paul's case 1st class providing there are no strikes.

Cheers Steve! Delivered my last letter at 1.50PM today :( Someone told me it was an early finish? They're having a laugh!!

Anyway's, we do need both club and open racing, they are both important...at the moment I have 2 pals who want pups...but, with some of the abuse that has been thrown about recently, would you recomend it? I know I'd like to, but, I'd be hurt if it was ever put to them that if they struggle to go open racing and SUPPORT the sport, that they shouldn't bother if the cost was difficult to manage...as was aimed at me earlier in this thread...

I'm still extremley angry, and am not sure I will support another BWRA open event away from my home track....and this is just after 5 months racing... :(

It is however, still a great day out, and above all the dogs love it...

Paul

that late paul i think you need to get a job where there is lots of fresh air and some exercise and an early start !!! ?????? dont take any notice of others--- probably having a wind up

steve

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back