The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cockapoo puppy advice - breeding query

Maybepup

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello

I am looking for some advice if possible please

We are possibly going to get a puppy. However I wanted to check people’s thoughts on its breeding

the mum is a f1b cockapoo and dad is a working cocker spaniel
Is this normal breeding? Any thoughts on whether it will look like a standard cockapoo although having looked online a lot with Cockapoos being a mixed breed it’s very up in the air as to what you may get

any advice and thoughts appreciated.

The first question is how ethical and responsible is the breeder? Good breeders do tests on their breeding dogs (proper tests, not just checks to say the dog is capable of siring/carrying a litter) to breed out congenital health conditions. Unfortunately with the popularity of these crosses there are many puppy farmers who are more interested in exploiting buyers than the long term health of the puppies they are selling; and pet owners who think it would be lovely to have mini versions of their own pets but lack the understanding of responsible breeding. By crossing a cockapoo with another cocker, you also risk increasing some of the undesirable behavioural traits of cockers if the parents have not been carefully screened, such as resource guarding for example.

It used to be believed that crossbreeds had the best of both breeds and health problems were 'bred out' but in fact you could well get a puppy who has inherited health defects from both parents and these could cause long term pain and distress to the dog and the owner to incur on going expensive vet bills. Marilyn Munro allegedly once suggested to Albert Einstein that if they had babies they would be amazing with her beauty and his brains. Einstein allegedly replied how awful it would be if it were the other way round. You get the picture!

There are some responsible breeders of crossbreeds and that is a good thing. But they are very few and far between.

Have you considered a poodle? They can be sourced with far less risk. If it is the look of the traditional poodle that puts you off, they can be left in a shaggy clip that has the look of the popular crossbreeds.

You might find these articles helpful too.

Animal Welfare Site

What Does a Puppy Farm REALLY Look Like? Could YOU tell?

Marilyn Munro allegedly once suggested to Albert Einstein that if they had babies they would be amazing with her beauty and his brains. Einstein allegedly replied how awful it would be if it were the other way round.
Huge thanks JoanneF, that’s provided a hoot and a half chez nous.

The mix that you mention will not give you anything standard and looking like a first cross Cockapoo.
If you want a cockapoo to look like a cockapoo you would be best to look for a first cross between an actual Poodle and a Cocker spaniel. You will also need to take great care with health checks, "not just the ones from a vet" but proper and genuine DNA tests from both parents, ( certificates should be viewable before purchase) and include a BVA eye check with Glaucoma from the Cocker spaniel to be clear too. A good breeder who wants to produce a healthy puppy and not for money alone should be prepared to show you all of the certificated from both parents.

You will be able to find on the Kennel club website which clear DNA tests the Poodle should have and which clear DNA tests the Cocker spaniel should have.

I am sure you will be paying quiet a high price for your puppy and if it were me I would want more than just a puppy that the vet has said is healthy!
Your puppy can inherit all of the nasty hereditary problems from both parents, just because it will be a cross does not prevent this happening.
If you are not in too much of a hurry to get your puppy I think that you should search around and be prepared to travel to get the right puppy.

DNA health tested stud dogs both Cockers and Poodles are advertised on various sites. You could search for these and ask if there are any expected puppies or new litters by their dogs. I am sure the stud dog owners will not mind helping you with your search.

Good luck.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back