The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Collars

Wolfspirit

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was wondering which are the best collars for sighthounds? I've seen pictures of many different types.

When I used collars on my whippets I used martingales so if I pulled they wouldn't come over their heads. Have you thought about a harness?

Sighthound collars need to be wide to stop them slipping over their narrow heads and protect theit long necks - something like this: Signature Leather Hound Collars – Running Hound

I have read that martingales can be a choking hazard of the dog should get it caught on something when you're not around, and they're more likely to be able to back out of a buckled collar in an emergency as it won't tighten. Don't know if that's true though.

Harnesses are a good option too.

I have two collars for Folly, one is a loose fitting round one that she wears all the time, their is an ID tag on this. It acts as a safety measure in case she gets out on her own but if it gets trapped she can pull out of it. When we go out I use a Martingale, it is a wide soft collar that she couldn't pull out of. When I let her off lead the Martingale is taken off. Oh the only change is at racing, her house collar is taken off and I use a wide buckled collar. The reason is that its easier to remove a buckled collar when she's wearing her muzzle and they do not have a collar on during a race for safety reasons.

I tend to mainly use a slip lead most of the time and don't have a collar on at all. If we are doing road work and I'm on the bike I have a harness. I also use a harness with a tracker on when I'm training a young dog.

Wow so many great and varied answers.
I know it's law now that dog should have a collar with a tag containing their details on. I think I may get a martingale while he's growing and we are learning manners whilst walking. Then probably go on to the wide leather so his tag can fix on. The summer time will possible be a harness as fitting over a winter coat may prove difficult...

Coats often have a hole on the back for the harness ring to clip through to the lead.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back