The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Colloidal silver for yeasty ears.

Coco

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Still trying to sort my gsp’s ears out. Have been to the vets had treatment costing £200 for one ear! Cultures taken proved the problem was yeast. The next vet step is putting her under anesthetic and flushing her ears out.. then follow up with steroids (probably for the rest of her life!) she’s only just 2! I am now trying the holistic approach. I’m trialing colloidal silver 20ppm twice a day . Stinky ears and Thornit powder didn’t work. Any suggestions for other “cures”? Zymox has been suggested but is rather expensive..but if it would work I’ll try anything! Thanks all.

There is often an underlying cause for yeast problems and no amount of chemicals and powders will rid the problem.
Have you considered a complete change of diet, one that is totally harmless and may prevent a lifelong problem with yeast and vet expenses.

Many of our modern day convenient complete dry foods are full of ingredients that are loaded with carbs. Carbohydrates are broken down into sugars that feed the yeast.
Avoid foods that contain; Wheat, Corn / Maize, Rice (which is also a grain) Millet, this will include all man made treats too.

One of the best remedies for pets with yeast infection is a Raw diet. This is completely grain free, therefore no carbs and sugars for the yeast to feed on.

Yeast thrives on carbohydrates so if you can reduce or eliminate these in her diet it might help.

And - please double check this because I cannot remember whether the source I got it from is reliable - but I'm sure I heard of someone using Canesten ointment.

Edit - to add, cross posted with @excuseme

Ah yes, Canesten, I remember my vet suggesting I used it for a suspected ringworm infection, (Fungal infection) with very good results I must say.
Only problem was going to the chemist and asking the young man over the counter for some. He asked me If it was for me and If I had been diagnosed, (I had to say yes) in front a short queue of other people waiting their turn at the counter:oops:

Thank you both for your replies. I have tried a food elimination diet for the past 10 weeks . I have fed her Simpsons 80/20 mixed fish kibble and topping it with white fish. With no success! I think the potato in the kibble maybe the culprit. I really don’t like the idea of a raw diet and I’ve investigated it. I’m now giving her a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil to see if it will help eliminate the yeast in her body! I will try Canestan and see if that will help! If I can purchase it easily! Thanks

Can I ask, what is it that puts you off raw?

I've been seeing adverts recently for dehydrated raw, so absolutely no yuck factor, if that is the cause of your reluctance. You just add water, stir, leave for a few minutes and serve.

Hi Joanne. My concerns about raw food feeding.
Bones splintering causing choking and breaking of teeth!
My lack of confidence in being able to combine a balanced diet that is not nutrient deficient.
Buying and sourcing the offal etc.
Salmonella poisoning bacteria and parasites!
Cleanliness whilst consuming the food.
The “yuck” factor of seeing ducks heads fish heads etc being eaten.
it really comes down to giving the dog foodstuff that is not fit for human consumption.
Im not against my input into the preparation of raw food.. I have and will give all the time and effort to give my dog the best possible chance to have a happy healthy life.
Thanks for you help and interest.

This article should dispel pretty much all your concerns about raw feeding, Coco: Raw feeding

Of course, it's a personal choice, and the internet is full of conflicting opinions and anecdotes, but I'm posting that link as much for anyone else who might be reading and be put off raw feeding by what you said.

I'm sure the duck heads and fish heads are just by products from from fish and ducks that have been used for human consumption. This is not because they not fit for human consumption.
I'm sure there are people who cook various heads for flavoring and picking some sweet pieces of meat to eat. Perfectly edible for man and beast.

Raw bones are perfectly safe for our canine pets, it is the cooked ones that are likely to splinter and cause problems

Today there are many pet stores that supply good quality frozen pet mince, it is neither "yucky" or messy, it is conveniently packed and easy to use.

Please read about salmonella below.
https://www.rawdogfood.co.uk/raw-feeding-safe-salmonella-e-coli/

Also a super little book to help anyone understand our dogs feeding requirements and how to do it; "Honeys Natural feeding Handbook for Dogs". On Amazon sometimes for as little as 1p. I love it, it's well worth a read.

Hi Joanne. Thanks for your reply and the links. I shall read them with interest. I’ve heard of Honeys natural food. Will look into it. Thanks for your time to reply.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back